Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-25-2015, 11:53 AM   #31
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I didn't explicitly exclude non-fiction, but I certainly should have done - sorry. I feel that fiction and non-fiction are so different, it's impossible to put them in the same list.

[Edit: title changed, and a note added to the first post]
Should I delete the Anne Frank entry then or just leave it (you can leave it out of final tally or however you are going to arrange.)
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:55 AM   #32
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Should I delete the Anne Frank entry then or just leave it (you can leave it out of final tally or however you are going to arrange.)
I shall leave it out of the final nominations. Feel free to nominate a different book, of course.

Apologies for not being explicit enough about the parameters.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2015, 12:19 PM   #33
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I shall leave it out of the final nominations. Feel free to nominate a different book, of course.

Apologies for not being explicit enough about the parameters.
I need to come up with a new book for the 1940s.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:42 PM   #34
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
1931-1940 The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien /1937
1951-1960 The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester /1955
1961-1970 The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov /1966
1971-1980 Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky & Boris Strugatsky /1972
1981-1990 Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman /1990
1991-2000 A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire #1) by George R.R. Martin /1996
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:48 PM   #35
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
1971: Roadside Picnic, Arkady and Boris Strugatsky.
Just a little correction. It was written in '71, published in '72 according to wikipedia. Not that this changes things much, but still.

Last edited by Geralt; 03-25-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2015, 01:10 PM   #36
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
1971-1980 Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky & Boris Strugatsky /1972
1981-1990 Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman /1990
Both pretty high on my list for those decades.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:42 PM   #37
Alsicole
Connoisseur
Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPhone 6, iPad Mini Retina,
These are three that come to mind off the top of my head...

1964 - A Moment In Time by H.E. Bates
1953 - The Charioteer by Mary Renault
1982 - House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende
Alsicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:47 PM   #38
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
1961 - 1970 Ringworld by Larry Niven
1971 - 1980 To Your Scattered Bodies Go by Phillip Jose Farmer

Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:04 PM   #39
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
1971-1980 The Mote in God’s Eye by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle

1981-1990 Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:04 PM   #40
frddgls
Connoisseur
frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kobo Forma, iPad, Samsung Galaxy A20
1901-1910 Arthur Conan Doyle, Hound of the Baskervilles
1911-1920 Edith Wharton, Ethan Frome
1921-1930 Herman Hesse, Siddhartha
frddgls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:32 PM   #41
knuthmeyer
Enthusiast
knuthmeyer is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
My suggestions would be:
1901 - Thomas Mann Buddenbrooks
1931 - Kurt Tucholsky Schloß Gripsholm
1914 - Heinrich Mann Der Untertan
1931 - Dashiell Hammett The glass key
1927/28 - Dashiell Hammett Red Harvest
1927 - B. Traven The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
1901 - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Hound of the Baskervilles
1955 - Léo Malet Fièvre au Marais, (titre initial : L’Ours et la Culotte)
1931 - Georges Simenon Le Chien jaune
1960 - Graham Greene A Burnt-Out Case
knuthmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:46 PM   #42
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Personally, I have problems with a "best" list. By what standards do you judge?

Having said that, I'll give it a go. Note: the title said "books" not novels...

1901-1910 - under consideration

1911-1920 - a real toughie. two books, that look at the same problem from two totally different perspectives. Yet in a way they dovetail together. Mak Twain - The Mysterious Stranger and James Branch Cabell - The Cream of The Jest.

1921-1930 - Dashiell Hammett - Red Harvest

1931-1940 - Olaf Stapledon - Odd John

1941-1950 - James Michener - Tales of The South Pacific

From here on, I could list a dozen books per decade

1951-1960 - Ayn Rand - Atlas Shrugged - (A side comment - best written, no; most beloved, no; hated by many, yes. So why on a best list. Say what you will about it, it has had the most influence on society, good or bad (depending on your viewpoint) than any other single fiction book of the 20th century. Define "best".)

1961-1970 - Frank Herbert - Dune

1971-1980 - Harlan Ellison - Deathbird Stories

1981-1990 - Louis L'Amour - Last of the Breed

1991-2000 - too new for me to evaluate...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:43 PM   #43
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
I'll play too!
There are just too many good books in each decade to try a select one but here are a couple more.

1941 - 1950 - Animal Farm (George Orwell)

I could just as easily have chosen 1984 but someone else did. On the other hand, Animal Farm remains one of the best analysis of the Bolsheviks and their "Dictatorship of the Proletariat"

1961 - 1970 - The Man in the High Castle (Philip K. Dick)

Certainly one of his best.

I have no problem with Atlas Shrugged. When I read it (I was 19), I thought it was fairly well written and a not bad story. When I read it again later I thought it was Rand channelling Hugo. Not bad but not in the same league as '93 (my favourite Hugo).
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:41 PM   #44
obs20
Wizard
obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Nook ST, Toshiba Excite 10.1 AT 300
1901-1910 The Jungle by Upton Sinclair(1906)
1911-1920 Main Street by Sinclair Lewis(1920)
1921-1930 The Trial by Franz Kafka(1925)
1930-1931 The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck(1931)
1941-1950 Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell(1949)
1951-1960 Lord of The Flies by William Golding(1954)
1961-1970 Slaughterhouse-Five or The Children's Crusade by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.(1969).
1971-1980 The Life and Extraordinary Adventures of Private Ivan Chonkin by Vladimir Voinovich(1977)
1981-1990 The Bonfire of The Vanities by Tom Wolfe(1987)
1991-2000 The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay By Michael Chabon(2000)
obs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:31 PM   #45
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Some of my nominations are of great books that I doubt others will nominate, not necessarily the ones I thought were the absolute best (which is impossible and varies by the day of the week). They are books I have recommended or even urged others to read, whereas some of my favourite books don't meet that criteria since I'm not sure they would appeal to many people.

While thinking about this thread, I was surprised to realize that my mental best ever list contains a couple of books that predate the 20th century (Hunger by Knut Hamsun and The Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde). It is also littered with books from the 21st century (Life of Pi, The Road, The Time Traveler's Wife, The Kite Runner, etc., etc., etc.). I guess I do live in the present.

I had the most trouble with the 60s and 70s since that's when I grew up. I chose books from that era which appeal to a younger me. For a few decades my favourite book was a non-fiction one which made it hard to pick a fiction one instead. Here is the list: some are fun, some are sappy, some are important, some are even all three.

00s The Call of the Wild by Jack London
10s The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
20s The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie
30s The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
40s 1984 by George Orwell
50s The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey
60s Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keys
70s The Princess Bride by William Goldman
80s A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
90s The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje

Last edited by Synamon; 03-25-2015 at 10:35 PM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote