Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-26-2015, 08:41 PM   #16
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
I might recommend back issues of Reminisce magazine.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:23 PM   #17
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Sorry for you and your family...

Anyway, I agree, something to take her away and drive her imagination would be cool. but if she's not much of a reader, then it's hard to say.
I would also have suggested Fantasy and Scifi books, but perhaps more contemporary stuff like as suggested, the Stephanie Plum books would be good.
My wife has read them and she likes them and there's a lot of them. They're quite light and humorous, so would help lighten the mood.

If she's willing to try out Fantasy, I'd suggest Harry Potter, as it's quite light really and written for teens (and younger), so is an easy read.

Also on the Fantasy theme would be the Robin Hobb, Farseer series. It's very plot rich and very interesting. Not your usual hack and slash fantasy fare.

Last edited by danskmacabre; 04-26-2015 at 09:26 PM.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:18 PM   #18
1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: phone
I heard Orange is the New Black is about a woman in jail. Is it supposed to be an entertaining read anyway?
1924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:03 AM   #19
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Please first study rules about what can be sent to prison and how.
Many prisons prevent inmates from receiving parcels [with books and other stuff] from friends and relatives. Thank those people that thought it was a good idea to try to smuggle drugs in a second-hand paperback.

Many prisons only allow prisoners receive parcels with things like books from Amazon. You order it from the Amazon and it is delivered to the person in prison. This way they make sure you did not try to infuse pages with LSD or meth.

So, my suggestion is:
- visit the prison webpage
- talk to the officer in prison
and ask what you can send. I guess, she will need a bit of money to buy small stuff at the cafeteria [female hygiene stuff ...], she will need to know how to call you [collect].
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:46 AM   #20
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
I don't know if it is allowed but Outlander is both long and not of this time. Lots of women like it.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:39 PM   #21
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
If she likes the classics there are a lot of good books to choose from. Pilgrim's Progress comes to mind as one of those.
He said she doesn't really read for pleasure. What makes you think she's going to enjoy a 17th century heavy-handed religious allegory whose main claim to fame is being foisted upon unsuspecting high school students?
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 04:12 AM   #22
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1924 View Post
My 14 year old daughter suggested Twilight and Harry Potter. Would a 37 year old woman enjoy those?
I read Harry Potter as a grown up, and liked them. I haven't read the Twilight books, and from what I've read about them I wouldn't enjoy them, but a lot of people love them. It's quite usual for grown ups to read and enjoy books that are marketed to teen agers (I do so myself).

Your daughter knows your wife, we don't. And having read the same books would give them something cheerful to talk about during visits, and something they share when they can't share everyday life.
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 04:22 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the "Reading Recommendations" forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:52 PM   #24
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
If she doesn't read a lot for pleasure, how about magazines? They are shorter and more varied so hopefully she would find something of interest.

Does she have any hobbies?

Some general magazines that might appeal to women depending on their interests.

Readers Digest
National Geographic
Mother Earth News
Utne Reader
Skeptical Inquirer
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:29 AM   #25
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Recommend staying away from books where a jail is involved in some way.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:35 AM   #26
thewitt
Zealot
thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iBooks
I assume you have already checked with the jail and they will allow you to send books to your wife? I have a friend in jail and he cannot accept any books from outside. If it's not in the prison library, it's not available for him to read.
thewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 03:49 AM   #27
1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitt View Post
I assume you have already checked with the jail and they will allow you to send books to your wife? I have a friend in jail and he cannot accept any books from outside. If it's not in the prison library, it's not available for him to read.

Yes books can be sent
1924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:02 PM   #28
Alsicole
Connoisseur
Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPhone 6, iPad Mini Retina,
Quote:
Originally Posted by harriska2 View Post
I don't know if it is allowed but Outlander is both long and not of this time. Lots of women like it.
I was going to suggest this series too. The books are long, full of interesting and well researched historical adventure, and are immersive enough to help someone escape from their day to day routine. There are also a number of books in the series, so a good few weeks worth of reading there. The author is Diana Gabaldon.
Alsicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:47 PM   #29
elaysee
Groupie
elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook, Kobo, Kindle, iPad
You may want to check out this site: Women's Prison Books Project. This is a site devoted to collecting books for women in prison, but some of their advice about what does/doesn't raise issues with prison administration might be useful.

One suggestion that I remember from their page: poetry books or other books with lots of white space might be valued. Apparently blank books are sometimes disallowed because they want the prisoners to spend money at the canteen, so books that make good writing material but don't look like it can be useful to inmates.

Disclaimer: I have zero affiliation with this organization and know little about them beyond seeing a mention online and being curious enough for a little followup.
elaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 04:35 AM   #30
DirkDirkson
DirkDirkson began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Books about women who have overcome major trials in life, against all odds. James Alexander Thom: Follow the River is an excellent one if you think she'd like read historical fiction set in the 17-18th century America.

My ex was in jail for a few months for DUI, though I couldn't send her books - just letters and money. A lot of jails have pathetic libraries with very abused/damaged books - so your wife is quite lucky to have access to anything you can send. If I were in Jail (or not,) I'd like to read as much inspirational literature as possible. Self-improvement, self-help, inspiring stories, etc.
DirkDirkson is offline   Reply With Quote