Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-07-2010, 12:32 PM   #1
Bureaucromancer
Enthusiast
Bureaucromancer began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Ghost Titles

I occasionally have a set of ghost titles appear, specifically they appear to be multiple sets of references to a single chapter of a random book in the book menus. I got rid of them once, but on resyncing it's happened again, and I don't recall how to eliminate them...

Any suggestions?
Bureaucromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
How about deleting the ghosts in ADE?
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2010, 04:04 PM   #3
Bureaucromancer
Enthusiast

They only appear on the reader itself.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:33 PM   #4
Bureaucromancer
Enthusiast

Going to give this a bump with the better understanding of the SQLlite database thats floating around now... Any ideas?

As of now I get these blank titles all the time, but every time the device processes new content the title (always shared by each instance of the blank title) changes.

I would try deleting the database completely, but I don't want to lose the pre-installed books. I'm guessing that this has something to do with the database not clearing out deleted titles properly, but that's about as far as I've gotten.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:11 AM   #5
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Can you provide some more details of what you mean Bureau? When I first read this post, I thought you were just referring to the popular quotes the Kobo displays when loading a chapter or book.

Where do these titles appear?
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 11:24 AM   #6
Bureaucromancer
Enthusiast

In the book lists, both now reading and the full list. Sometimes its a book title that gets lists 12ish times rather than once (with only one of the entries working), other times it is a random chapter OF a book getting listed AS a book, but linking to a blank page.

Like I said, I suspect that my database is somehow corrupt, but with no real way to confirm that i'm hoping not to have to nuke the 100 included books.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #7
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
In theory, restoring to the factory default would clean up the database and it might restore the 100 books. On the other hand, at least one person reported getting a Kobo without the books, so maybe the default is an empty database. I haven't heard any reports of people resorting to the factory default reset, though.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:27 PM   #8
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Well, if his actual database is corrupt, hitting the button reset probably wouldn't fix that. He has the option of deleting the dbase first and then doing the reset, which will recreate an empty dbase. But he mentioned the desire to avoid wiping the 100 free books.

I would recommend you just nuke the dbase Bureua.... all those 100 free books are in the public domain and you can very easily find DRM-free epubs of them (gutenberg.org)
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:39 PM   #9
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is a (big) difference between using the reset button on the back, and using the menu to find the Advanced Settings to 'Restore to Factory Defaults'. The restore pretty much does a memory wipe. You can read up on it in the Help, at the very end, but it won't really tell exactly what it does about the 100 books.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:23 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I have done a Restore to Factory Defaults and still had the 100 free books left.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:32 PM   #11
pholy
Booklegger

Thank you! I do love it when somebody does the experiment I'm afraid to try!
Old 05-15-2010, 05:13 PM   #12
Bureaucromancer
Enthusiast

Well, I fixed it by deleting the database, reloading my content and letting it rebuild but it does mean I don't have the 100 books anymore. I'm going to try restoring the old database once the patches start coming, but for now it;s working great.