Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-05-2006, 10:08 AM   #1
DHer
Addict
DHer doesn't litterDHer doesn't litter

Device: iliad
calming the waves at forum.irexnet

Karel from iRex just posted, well, (nearly) more words then in all their posts before summed up together.

http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?p=2437#2437

First of all, i'd like to applaud them for doing this at all.

Second, well, i dislike some of the implications a wee bit.

Third, this increased B2B demand story is hilarious.
DHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:32 AM   #2
deadite66
Groupie
deadite66 began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad, uk Kindle gen3
shame they didn't saying anything about allowing live web browsing.

reaffirming the device will be able to suspend is nice but i do wonder on the time line for all this, i hope they can bring in some more coders and pick up the pace.
deadite66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2006, 11:08 AM   #3
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHer
Karel from iRex just posted, well, (nearly) more words then in all their posts before summed up together.
I think we should all take this at face value, rather than trying to constantly second guess Irex... Patience is always key, and I think we should encourage Irex with constructive feedback as much as possible...!

jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:28 AM   #4
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I agree - it's good to come forward and to explain the situation.

Something to think about:
Quote:
Ultimately, we have the ambition to serve the B2C market, but not having the organizational, marketing and financial bandwidth to disclose the consumer market from start, iRex has purposely targeted specific B2B segments. We are doing so, though, with the B2C market and its requirements as our reference. Recently, we have engaged with several B2B customers, who, understandingly, have prioritized our agenda greatly.
Basically they made a mistake when they opened the shop to everyone and started a forum which they couldn't fully support. What I now hope is that, whatever knowledge they can gain and software improvements they make for their B2B partners, will also benefit us B2C users. Take the eFlyBook for example - it's made for one of their B2B clients and the reader made for them has not been made available to anyone else.

Quote:
Yes, this will be part of our power management optimization activities. However do note that in order to improve the speed of the page turns pre-rendering is required. Pre-rendering stops once all links are pre-rendered and so preventing the processor from going to standby after a page turn. In theory we can currently turn a page every 2 seconds for 10 hours (with software version 2.6.1) which are 18.000 page turns, but this is not a practical measurement.
In other words, they CPU they chose is too slow. They should have picked a faster cpu that can adapt it's speed according to demand.

Quote:
We have looked at the ‘wish lists’ of the community and many items have been included in our software release plan, however the priority and planning in this list is predominantly directed by our B2B customers.
Goes back to what I said above... let's hope that they will share the fruits with us B2C clients as well.

Quote:
Support for WPA and WPA2 secure Wireless networks
Cool!

Quote:
Wireless connection to PC (mount iLiad as local disk to a PC or local server over WiFi)
Again, cool!

Quote:
The SDK is intended for the purpose of creating additional user applications (format support) not to redesign or customize the internals. It does not contain root access, but a user account with restricted access.... due to the increase of the B2B demands we have been forced to postpone the release of a SDK for the community.
SUCKS! Having nothing else to say right now... (*frustration*).

Quote:
At this moment we already offer support for several DRM formats driven by our B2B demands in China (e.g. EBA, XEB)... We hope to be able to make an announcement on this in the coming month.
Only time will tell.

Quote:
Shortly after the software release 2.7, we will start publish our source codes in several stages. More information can be found on our Developer Portal shortly.
"Several stages" means exactly what?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:23 PM   #5
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Quote:
"Several stages" means exactly what?
Our code is as messy as hell, and we don't want to release it until we have cleaned it up. But people are threatening us with court action, so we will show willing, and put the code up as and when it's ready.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2006, 12:34 PM   #6
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riocaz
Our code is as messy as hell, and we don't want to release it until we have cleaned it up. But people are threatening us with court action, so we will show willing, and put the code up as and when it's ready.
Sounds like a very good translation
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:13 PM   #7
Riocaz
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you.

I know several code types and invariably they do horrible nasty kludges to get things working. Then refine them and document them properly later once it's actually working.

I've had the impression that this is the sort of thing iRex are doing ever since they first made that statement. :-)

"I can't publish this. Do you realise what this would do to my reputation?!?!"
Old 10-05-2006, 02:41 PM   #8
DHer
Addict
DHer doesn't litterDHer doesn't litter

Device: iliad
yeah. i believe the source at the moment would at least result in a honourable mention ot thedailywtf.com
DHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 06:36 AM   #9
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRex's overview of some features that are planned and can be expected in the near future software releases
User interface
• Hide toolbar and content indicator (full screen mode)
• Flipbar direction configurable
• Redefine archive keys location to point to a different folder
• Font support (for any font)
User's input [for example full screen mode] is not ignored.
I hope that iRex's »Community Statement and Q&A« isn't too optimistic again.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 07:32 AM   #10
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHer
[...]a honourable mention ot thedailywtf.com
This very statement ruined the whole work day for me so far...
ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 11:01 AM   #11
deadite66
Groupie

anyone noticed thread deletions are going on at the irex forum.

2 today have gone so far (at least i couldn't find them)
the NDA one and "Pls send a purchased unit directly after payment" threads.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:03 AM   #12
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite66
shame they didn't saying anything about allowing live web browsing.
After a week of figuring out which RSS feeds minimo can handle I think their not allowing live web browsing was a practical move on their part.

Everyone would have been howling about how unstable minimo was with this or that favorite web site.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 11:36 AM   #13
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite66
anyone noticed thread deletions are going on at the irex forum.

2 today have gone so far (at least i couldn't find them)
the NDA one and "Pls send a purchased unit directly after payment" threads.
The NDA one has been moved to the beta tester forum.

The other one was removed upon starters request.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 11:49 AM   #14
deadite66
Groupie

ahh ty.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:21 PM   #15
Riocaz

Err, is that a new forum for the beta testers? Or am I missing something on the Rex forum?

Because if it is moving it there is rather unhelpful for those of us who were waiting on the answer, before signing up...