Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-22-2009, 02:54 PM   #1
Eddie
Enthusiast
Eddie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Eddie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Eddie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Eddie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 360, Kobo, Rocket eBook
future-proof Fictionwise multiformat choice ?

I own a Rocket eBook and I finally took the plunge and subscribed to all the magazines that interest me on Fictionwise.
My question is: which format should I use as backup? I usually download the .rb files (which I read on my trusty old Rocket) and the .pdf files as a second option for the future. Is there a better future-proof format than PDF ?
Thanks !
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
I'm betting that epub will win the format wars.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
Eddie
Enthusiast
Eddie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Eddie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Eddie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Eddie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 360, Kobo, Rocket eBook
Can epub be converted to something else easily ?
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:38 PM   #4
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Yes! Put Calibre on your PC and you can convert to most of the major formats.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:44 PM   #5
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
I'm betting that epub will win the format wars.
Despite ePub being the best of all the bad choices, the day it "wins the format wars" is the day eBooks lose any chance of ever replacing paper books.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2009, 03:45 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Despite ePub being the best of all the bad choices, the day it "wins the format wars" is the day eBooks lose any chance of ever replacing paper books.

- Ahi
ePub has already won.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:17 PM   #7
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Quote:

- Ahi
Do you mind explaining your opinion?
Old 10-22-2009, 05:27 PM   #8
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
ePub has already won.
You're as funny as ever, Jon.

A format that is incapable of professionally typesetting (a process that includes layout work, since professional typesetting is a bit of a dirty phrase around here) all (or at least the vast majority of) books is not a viable alternative to paper books.

Even reflow-enthusiasts rarely argue that reflow is viable for typographically complex books, and such books do make up a considerable percentage (if not downright the majority) of existent books.

eBooks today, with ePub and similar formats at least, are primarily novel readers... worse yet, primarily amateur fiction and romance novel readers.

Not everyone is willing to lay out hundreds of dollars for a computer whose associated commercial offerings cannot even match, never mind exceed, the quality of raggy $2.00 used paperbacks from the local used book store.

New functionality like variable font sizes, in-book links to facilitate sensible jumping about, et cetera are great... but they do not make the product viable if it fails to meet the bare minimum quality standards set by paper books for the last several centuries.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:42 PM   #9
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
PDF isn't even safe 'really', any proprietary technology which a private company holds can always end up in dire straights, not a really suitable format for archiving. I convert to epub and store on my mac (with time machine backups and Amazon S3 remote backups).
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:46 PM   #10
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
PDF isn't even safe 'really', any proprietary technology which a private company holds can always end up in dire straights, not a really suitable format for archiving. I convert to epub and store on my mac (with time machine backups and Amazon S3 remote backups).
PDF is an open format, NOT a proprietary one.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:52 PM   #11
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
PDF is an open format, NOT a proprietary one.
Yes, but it is still a completely useless crappy ebook format.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:55 PM   #12
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
I own a Rocket eBook and I finally took the plunge and subscribed to all the magazines that interest me on Fictionwise.
My question is: which format should I use as backup? I usually download the .rb files (which I read on my trusty old Rocket) and the .pdf files as a second option for the future. Is there a better future-proof format than PDF ?
Thanks !
Any format which will let you easily convert it to something else down the road if you have to, which is most of them. The biggest concern is getting rid of the DRM, but you've already taken care of that problem with their multiformat option.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:03 PM   #13
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
In that case, it's allready lost. I hope you'll be leaving us.

An XML based format which is entirely capeable of displaying anything a webpage does...

Anyway... Eddie, I strongly recomend non-DRM'ed ePub where avaliable. It's an open standard.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:06 PM   #14
Superlucky
Fanatic

Quote:
eBooks today, with ePub and similar formats at least, are primarily novel readers... worse yet, primarily amateur fiction and romance novel readers.
I think tons of people read PD works (i.e. "classics") and non-fiction. The ones I've read look every bit as good as cheap paperback versions of the same books.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:10 PM   #15
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
A format that is incapable of professionally typesetting (a process that includes layout work, since professional typesetting is a bit of a dirty phrase around here) all (or at least the vast majority of) books is not a viable alternative to paper books.
Is professional typesetting something that the average reader cares about?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote