Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-20-2009, 04:58 AM   #16
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi Joop,

Thanks for your suggestion. I monitor it by using standard Windows Task Manager (Process tab) seeing its CPU and memory usage. What additional benefit of the software you suggest?
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:13 AM   #17
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I am not sure if this related, but I have noted that I have a problem with Calibre 0.6 series where if I tried to convert books the memory usage of the main Calibre process grows by an amount directly proportional to the number of books to be converted, and that this memory is not released when the conversion finishes. Therefore after a while it is necessary to close and restart Calibre to avoid the system running into problems because of excessive RAM usage.

It would be useful to know if others see the same behavior so I have an idea whether it is genuine Calibre issue, or simply a problem with my system in some way.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2009, 05:32 AM   #18
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Hi Joop,

My problem is like yours; but the growing memory was on Calibre-parallel process when I was fetching a few enews. It used to grow up to 8xxMB and even after the enews fetching completed, the process was still running consuming 8xxMB of my memory. I also saw several Calibre-parallel.exe processes running, not just one.

When this happens, I saw my hard drive activity light on all the time (as if it was busy doing something I don't know), and my system was slow to crawl.

This happened in version 0.6.4.

I've not tried 0.6.6 yet.

Last edited by bthoven; 08-20-2009 at 05:35 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:59 AM   #19
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post
When this happens, I saw my hard drive activity light on all the time (as if it was busy doing something I don't know), and my system was slow to crawl.
I would guess this is Windows paging kicking in. It does kill performance if you get a lot of it.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:58 PM   #20
JvdW
Zealot
JvdW doesn't litterJvdW doesn't litter

Device: Palm T5, Sony PRS-505, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post
Hi Joop,

Thanks for your suggestion. I monitor it by using standard Windows Task Manager (Process tab) seeing its CPU and memory usage. What additional benefit of the software you suggest?
For one thing it allows you to monitor each process individually and it shows you if a process dies by colouring it red and its green when its starting up.
Further I think it allows you to see way more information than the TaskManager can/will.
It will even show you what files a process is accessing, network connections.

Give it a try, there is no installation process involved (one exe) and you can even start it from the website, IE/FF settings allowing it.

Regards,

Joop
JvdW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2009, 12:21 AM   #21
bthoven
Evangelist

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JvdW View Post
For one thing it allows you to monitor each process individually and it shows you if a process dies by colouring it red and its green when its starting up.
Further I think it allows you to see way more information than the TaskManager can/will.
It will even show you what files a process is accessing, network connections.

Give it a try, there is no installation process involved (one exe) and you can even start it from the website, IE/FF settings allowing it.

Regards,

Joop
Thanks a lot. This is now interesting.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:15 PM   #22
bthoven
Evangelist

sorry

Last edited by bthoven; 08-22-2009 at 05:06 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:15 AM   #23
bthoven
Evangelist

Hi,

Even using the latest version of Calibre, my notebook (Pentium Dual 1.6ghz, memory 1.5gb, plenty of C: drive free space) become very slow whilst retrieving enews. I notice the harddrive led light is on all the time. Any idea what cause this problem?
Old 09-23-2009, 02:34 AM   #24
bthoven
Evangelist

As I still cannot solve the problem of slowness when retrieving the enews, probably due to my own pc setup, I decide to go back to Mobipocket desktop for enews retrieval and use Kindle app on iPhone to read those enews. It works very well.

See how I do it here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...277#post602277