Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-06-2012, 11:17 PM   #1
lunixer
Addict
lunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle owner *sadly* disappointed by today's announcement

Hi! I'm looking for something to replace my 4-yo KK. (Or 3 years? Can't remember.) However, I really hate the current lineup of Kindles. This is what I want:

1) No touch screen navigation whatsoever. I hate touch screens on every device I have ever used.

2) At least the same battery life as my KK.

3) Must have easy highlighting functionality (one click or so) but I don't care about taking notes.

4) Customizable screensavers would be a plus, and having the current book cover as a screensaver would be an even bigger plus.

5) Customizable margins would be a plus (using a hack is okay- that's how I customize the margin size on my KK)

6) Epub compatibility would be nice, but really, I'm perfectly happy with .mobi files.

7) I don't care about the light technology

8) I don't care at all about the amount of storage

Anybody have advice? I'm just really upset that Amazon is moving away from hardware page turn buttons and that the basic Kindle has such a small battery. Thanks!
lunixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Given your list, I think that the Kindle Keyboard is the device for you. I am assuming that your current one is the Kindle 2. The pictures below L-R are Kindle 2 & Kindle Keyboard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2819-kindle-22.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	91948   Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	91949  

Last edited by ucfgrad93; 09-06-2012 at 11:41 PM.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 11:59 PM   #3
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Given your list, I think that the Kindle Keyboard is the device for you. I am assuming that your current one is the Kindle 2. The pictures below L-R are Kindle 2 & Kindle Keyboard
The OP has a K3. The time frame of 3-4 years would be a K2...that's the confusion, I imagine. The K3/KK launched August 27th two years ago.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
lunixer
Addict
lunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-books

Yeah, it's a Keyboard that I have. I guess I haven't had it as long as I thought, haha. So, do none of the Sony readers have similar features what I mention in the OP?
Old 09-08-2012, 08:55 AM   #5
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
There don't seem to be many non-touch screen e-readers available, that's the problem I think? The last Sony's to not have a touch screen are five years old (PRS-505), from the three year old PRS-600 onwards, they've all had touch screens.

There's the old Kobo WiFi which now seems to be a discontinued model, it's battery life was measured in page turns (10,000) which I'm pretty sure converts to a couple of weeks, and compared to the Kindle, it was quite slow anyway.

Of the current models, apart from the Kindle, off hand I can only think of the recently release BeBook Pure which I think is only available in Europe, and it's battery life is only 12,000 page turns so certainly no better than the current basic Kindle, and nowhere near as good as the Kindle Keyboard you currently have.

I don't know if there are any suitable in the more obscure e-reader brands?

Last edited by soulfuldog; 09-08-2012 at 08:57 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Buy another KK. I saw a new one in the box the other day in a store. Tons of refurbs and stuff on ebay around too.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
askak
Enthusiast
askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hi lunixer,

I fell your pain. I've postponed the purchase of my first ereader waiting for a new model with side buttons.

Is the only thing I don't like about the KT. But I'm searching and I don't find a good alternative. BTW Sony is also dropping audio support in the new T2.

As other poster said you can look in less mainstream brands.
Onyx X61E for example. Kind of ugly but...
Papyre 601 http://grammata.es/papyres/50736/papyre-601.html
askak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #8
Edward M. Grant
Zealot
Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
The K3/KK launched August 27th two years ago.
I have a hard time seeing what they could do to improve on the current version. Better screen? New chipset with lower power consumption? Fix some of the software bugs?
Edward M. Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #9
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward M. Grant View Post
I have a hard time seeing what they could do to improve on the current version. Better screen? New chipset with lower power consumption? Fix some of the software bugs?
Yeah, you could tweak it some but, all in all, it's a good solid reader. I'd say that's one big reason Amazon is keeping it in the lineup.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It could do with a firmware update to provide KF8 support. That will become increasingly important in the future.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #11
TimW
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It could do with a firmware update to provide KF8 support. That will become increasingly important in the future.
Good point, yes, I hope Amazon decides to add KF8 to it.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:06 PM   #12
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Setting margin is rarely available with epub. The kobo touch does that (with kepubs).

Why change your reader ? What annoys you with your kindle ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #13
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Setting margin is rarely available with epub. The kobo touch does that (with kepubs).

Why change your reader ? What annoys you with your kindle ?
Actually you can change margins/font/font size in all kepub AND epubs (a few epubs aren't friendly to being overridden and may require modification via Cailbre etc, but most work).

If you haven't played with an e-reader with touchscreen I would suggest you try one out (ideally if you can borrow one that will give you more time than just playing in the store). I know I HATE touchscreens generally, but the new technology makes it work really well on e-readers IMHO. I know there are a number of threads from people like me who almost didn't get a particular e-reader because it had touch only that would never want to go back.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:21 PM   #14
lunixer
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
Yeah, you could tweak it some but, all in all, it's a good solid reader. I'd say that's one big reason Amazon is keeping it in the lineup.
I want to see one without the keyboard. If they put all of the features on the Touch into something with hardware buttons, that would be great. Long battery life, lighter, smaller, even the paperwhite display (though I do think that's a gimmick). It's a great reader, but the keyboard is a useless feature that just gets in the way.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:13 AM   #15
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
but the new kindle has a mindblowing 8-month battery life! (or I read that wrong?)

Also, I don't know how you guys used to read back in the old days. Not only you had to touch the paper, you also usually had to wet your finger in saliva to make the page move... you whine too much.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote