Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #181
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Some places where we get free fonts don't have all four, or they are named in a different way. you can rename them, as long as all four are there and they follow the naming convention.
I was referring to the Charis SIL version I got from JSWolf's link. They have all four versions, but still don't work properly on my Touch.

With firmware .17 not all fonts worked, even though they had the full set. Linux Libertine, for example, works now but didn't work in .17.

My working fonts are all named like this:
CaeciliaLTStd-Bold
CaeciliaLTStd-BoldItalic
CaeciliaLTStd-Italic
CaeciliaLTStd-Regular

So maybe JSWolf's fonts don't work in 2.0 - but if you could take a look at them and see if you can get them to work, I'd appreciate it.

Maybe I have to rename them in some way? That didn't work for Linux Libertine in .17, though...
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:05 PM   #182
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I installed the Charis SIL fonts from here: http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/p...isSIL_download I used the .exe file--the windows installer and it installed the fonts in the font file on my computer. I then did a copy and paste into the fonts file on kobo.

They read like this CharisSIL-B.ttf. In other words like the example I used above. I have not played with Johns version.

They work well in kepub. Bold works etc. They are pretty icky in ePUBs.

Last edited by taming; 07-11-2012 at 07:08 PM. Reason: more details
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #183
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
The fonts look good but unfortunately don't work properly on my Kobo. There's no bold, for example (or everything is bold, I don't know...). No italics, either, which is too bad since the normal Charis SIL doesn't look as nice anymore.

Oh well... it's going to be Georgia for me, I guess (at least for now).
But there are all four font styles. Are you sure you are not doing something wrong?

Can someone else please test out the modified Charis SIL with Kobo firmware 2.0? I know for sure these work Sony Readers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:57 PM   #184
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I installed the Charis SIL fonts from here: http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/p...isSIL_download I used the .exe file--the windows installer and it installed the fonts in the font file on my computer. I then did a copy and paste into the fonts file on kobo.

They read like this CharisSIL-B.ttf. In other words like the example I used above. I have not played with Johns version.

They work well in kepub. Bold works etc. They are pretty icky in ePUBs.
Please give my modified versions a try. The names are exactly the same and they will look better if they work properly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #185
ellman
ellman began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Kobo is still playing hide the firware. Why they bother, I really can't fanthom.

Upddating an unregistered kobo still completely bricks it until the database is populated with a user account. For a wifi device, that is epic fail. After so many updates, there's no sensible reason it shouldn't have account creation, if necessary, (which it shouldn't be,) built into the device.

Not mentioned in the release notes, images are now dithered. The improvement in display of pictures is amazing. The Japanese manga fans will be pleased.

Similarly, the improvement of font rendering with customizeable font weights is also massive. The Kobo is the first e-ink device I've seen that can almost match the Kindle for text clarity. It's a pity some are reporting difficulties with user supplied fonts, but I think it's a fair trade.

On the negative side the update, page turning is now significantly slower. Reading on the touch feels a bit like reading on the Wifi, you have to tap over a second ahead of when you want the page to turn. Dead tap followed by double page turn still plagues the Kobo. Only now you don't even get a double page flash to hint at what happened. You just suddenly find yourself having skipped a page.
These are exactly the problems I have experienced.
ellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #186
pwarren
Connoisseur
pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Irex Iliad (Dead), EcoReader (Smashed screen), Kobo Touch
I've had the experience that after updating to 2.0, my taps to change pages are randomly ignored. It's very frustrating. The most reliable page turn method I've found is to swipe the screen right to left, but even that has only about a 50% success rate.

This was not a problem with the previous release, it managed to get 90% or so of my taps, much less frustrating!

Has anyone got some tips about this problem?
pwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #187
Marbles
Zealot
Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.

Device: KoboTouch & Kobo Vox iPad2
I am not very impressed with this new update. I had 700mb left and when I did the update I was down to 300mb. I don't care for the recommendations nor do I care about like books. If they wanted that information it should be on the website not on my ereader where I want to read books. The shelves are a nice idea but was not something that was a big concern with me.

I find the Kobo Touch much slower as well since the update. Lots of double taps and then double page turns. I was not experiencing these problems before.

Just not the best upgrade as far as I am concerned but still love my Kobo.
Marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #188
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I re-updated my Kobo by instlaling 1.9.17 first, then updating to 2.0. This did not resolve the sluggish page turn on epubs. However, it did restore the missing fonts. The 2.0 update is missing the Delima, Felbridge and Times New Roman fonts. If you want your kobo to have all it's font's intact (important since apparently user installed fonts aren't working correctly with Epub,) then you must first update to 1.9.17 before updaing to 2.0.

For those who havent' done this before, you can download the previous update here:
http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...ate-1.9.17.zip

Unzip the contents of the zip fle and copy them into the .kobo directory on Kobo.

Wake me up when the first patch hits, but overall, I like the direction of this update. Kobo is almost viable again.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #189
Shankill
Nameless Being

The update seemed to be fine till I realised I couldn't create shelves, and the Kobo had lost my shortlist (which had my 400-odd unread books on it and was an absolute pain to redo). The sign-out-sign-back-in solution from earlier in the thread worked, and I got my shelves created.

But now, the Kobo takes anywhere between 30 seconds and ten minutes to respond to touches. I'm not even exaggerating. I timed it when I went from the homescreen to the library. And again, six minutes to go back to the homescreen. Before, it was frozen for about seven minutes, so I held the power switch to reboot it.

I finished a short, twenty page story earlier. At the end, I tapped the last page to end it and go back to the homescreen, and it took four minutes to get there. I tried with another short story, and it took just as long.

I'm going to try a factory reset tonight. So annoying. It was fine before the update, and even just after the update. It was only after I signed out and in again.

It won't even respond to the power slider except to reboot. I'm guessing it might be an issue with my SD card, but like I said, it was all fine till I signed out and in.

At least mine is kind of working, though. My partner's Touch updated yesterday, and it's been stuck in the five squares boot animation for almost a day.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:35 PM   #190
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Updated without a hitch (for that matter, I've never had a firmware update go south on me). I really like the new features. The bookshelves are great, though I do miss the quick access to the shortlist, and the pop-up dictionary is awesome.

Two minor annoyances: 1) Why did they bury the clock in a menu? That seems counter intuitive. The previous clock was perfect. 2) Noticeably slower page turns. It's not a big deal because I just have to retrain myself to tap when I start reading the last line instead of waiting until I'm on the last few words. What surprises me, though, is that while page turns are slower, the menu screens are much snappier.

All in all, a very good update. I just find it interesting that whenever Kobo releases a new firmware, it comes with significant changes to the home screen. It's like they can't just settle on a design and make minor improvements from there.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #191
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Many, many problems after a problematic install can be fixed by going to settings, then to accounts, signing out of the Kobo account and letting the device reset with the books in place.

Expect ePUBs to be slow in page turning at the moment, but other slow stuff is not a general thing with a good install of the new build. Same for problems creating shelves, populating the short list etc.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:31 AM   #192
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I first updated to 2.0 firmware directly from most recent prior version. Now I have done restore to original firmware then updated to 2.0 and it seems to run better. Faster interaction with large library. Faster resort from title sort to author sort, to recent read sort. No lost covers with 2,250 books. I think they fixed the data base. It's great, best update of all for KT. Still left room for improvements.

Is there a way to go back and add more books to a book shelf? Could do this on my first install of 2.0 but not now.

The first update to 2.0 firmware it seemed to stall after unplugging from computer. I turned off KT then restarted it. The book shelf I created and loaded with 300 books locked up the reader whenever I tried to use it. Touch interface with buttons was sluggish so almost unusable.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:34 AM   #193
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@filmo:
Go to Library / Shelves; select the Edit option in the menu at the right hand side of the shelves; select Add Books; when finished select Save.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:31 AM   #194
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
The thing I like best on this update:
The handling of the pictures. It does not create 5 or more pictures for every book while you load them on the device, but creates just the pictures it needs on the fly. You can even delete pictures and Kobo will create them again in case it needs them. This is really great, you do not have to erase pictures anymore when you have more then 1500 books on the device!

What I don't like at all: No changes on the page turns. I really would have loved two more options, e.g. #4 tap on lower two thirds will step forward, tap on upper third backwards and #5 tap anywhere to go forward, wipe to go backwards. It's a pain in the ass to always have to do 6 menu clicks to change from right-handed to left-handed (and I change the reading hand quite often).
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:44 AM   #195
RickyB
Enthusiast
RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
So... after updating the firmware, and removing the usb connection to the computer, how long are the 5 black boxes supposed to iterate for?
coming up to 30 minutes with the smiley kobo and five boxes cycling through after the update ... is this other people's experience?

edit: note another thread on slow updates https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184495

Last edited by RickyB; 07-12-2012 at 04:28 AM. Reason: found another thread
RickyB is offline   Reply With Quote