Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-14-2010, 02:47 AM   #1
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Been away for a few releases...question about custom columns support

I haven't been away that long, but since Kovid updates Calibre so frequently it is easy to fall behind!

So I know that recently there have been many changes to better support custom columns as well as furthering support for multiple libraries.

My specific question is this: Is there as yet an easy way (ie. click a button) to have your custom columns applied to any new library you create?

Right now, all my books are in 1 library. My "Main" library. There are some that I would like to move into a secondary library. But I want to keep my custom columns. When I last checked in several versions ago, the answer was to create the new library (empty) and manually create the custom columns to match before copying/moving the books. Is this still the case? Or have any of the programming geniuses who contribute to Calibre (and I am definitely not any sort of programming genius) devised/added a method to "copy" your custom columns to a new library?
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:50 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
If I understand the question, then the answer is still 'no'. The destination library must have the custom columns before you do the copy. Copying/moving a book will not create them.

There isn't any straightforward way to clone one library's custom column configuration onto another. There are non-straightforward ways, such by library cloning (messing with the metadata.db file) and using the new recovery mechanisms. All of them can easily destroy a library, so I don't want to get into too many details.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2010, 05:02 AM   #3
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
I recently decided to split my main library in to 3 sub libraries.

I made 3 full copies of the library folder, including all sub-folders/metadata etc. renamed each of the main folders to better names.

Loaded up calibre, pointed to one of the new sub-libraries, then deleted all the books I didn't want it that library, repeated with the other two.

All the columns etc were copied.

Was easier than setting up 3 seperate libraries then copying/moving the books from the main library.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:48 AM   #4
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Thanks for responding Chaley and Perkin. Definitely don't want to take any chance of messing up my library (though it is backed up of course).

Perkin - It does sound like your method would work great! Temporary hit on my drive for storage space until I get the books I don't want in the 2nd library deleted, but I could live with that. Thanks for the suggestion.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote