Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-29-2014, 05:31 AM   #1
enverhoxha
enverhoxha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Dictionary problem

I have multiple dictionaries on my Kindle Touch, including the portuguese dictionary. But when I try to read a portuguese ebook I can't use the dictionary. Instead, when I look up for a word, Kindle opens the English dictionary.
I edited the ebook metadata with Calibre, and changed the language to Portuguese, with no effect. Where's the problem?
enverhoxha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:56 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by enverhoxha View Post
I have multiple dictionaries on my Kindle Touch, including the portuguese dictionary. But when I try to read a portuguese ebook I can't use the dictionary. Instead, when I look up for a word, Kindle opens the English dictionary.
I edited the ebook metadata with Calibre, and changed the language to Portuguese, with no effect. Where's the problem?
Assuming the dictionary is from Amazon (one that comes with the Kindle), the problem must lie with the book metadata. I would try a different tool, found here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1927698
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2014, 01:15 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by enverhoxha View Post
BTW, if you change metadata with Calibre, the changes aren't immediately written to the .mobi file until you use Send to Device or Save to Disk. If you don't want to use these options you can install the Modify ePub Calibre plug-in, which will allow you to write the changes to the file in the Calibre library folder.

EDIT: As eschwartz has correctly pointed out, Modify Epub only works for .ePub files.

Last edited by Doitsu; 04-30-2014 at 02:09 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:29 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
BTW, if you change metadata with Calibre, the changes aren't immediately written to the .mobi file until you use Send to Device or Save to Disk. If you don't want to use these options you can install the Modify ePub Calibre plug-in, which will allow you to write the changes to the file in the Calibre library folder.
Modify Epub PI doesn't work on mobi7/8.
If all you need to do is update metadata Polish Book, built into calibre, works just fine as well as working for .azw3 as well.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary, language