Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-13-2014, 07:54 PM   #31
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
No, not on sale, but have you seen this:
http://www.sandisk.com/products/musi...rs/clip-sport/

I wish the red one was in 8 gb too, but I guess with as cheap as micro sd cards are now I can just get a 4gb and a card and end up better off on price.
I hope it keeps up the tradition of quality I have come to expect from Sansa Clip products.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:39 PM   #32
wawasteele
Addict
wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st PW, Sansa Clip Zip, Samsungs: GT 7.0 Plus, Note4, GT 4 10.1"
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
No, not on sale, but have you seen this:
http://www.sandisk.com/products/musi...rs/clip-sport/

I wish the red one was in 8 gb too, but I guess with as cheap as micro sd cards are now I can just get a 4gb and a card and end up better off on price.
I hope it keeps up the tradition of quality I have come to expect from Sansa Clip products.
S
Cool that it will go up to 25 hours per charge! I would love that. However it won't play WMA DRM. That's a deal breaker for me as long as my libraries still carry some of their audiobooks only in that format.
wawasteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:36 PM   #33
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
S
Thanks, I didn't see that one coming.

I compared the specs with the Clip Zip. The most glaring difference is the removal of DRM WMA support. That's a major change for those of us who use these players for audiobooks from the library. While OverDrive plans to eliminate that format in the future, the fact is, it still exists. Also missing is the voice recorder and stopwatch.

If the above features don't matter, then a larger color display (1.44" vs 1.1"), a longer battery life (25 hrs vs 15 hrs), and a lower price ($10 lower) might make the Sport a better deal.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:43 PM   #34
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawasteele View Post
Cool that it will go up to 25 hours per charge! I would love that. However it won't play WMA DRM. That's a deal breaker for me as long as my libraries still carry some of their audiobooks only in that format.
I concur. As it stands now, 35-40% of library audiobooks are only available in WMA format. That's a lot of audiobooks to exclude because of lack of support.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:58 PM   #35
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Thanks, I didn't see that one coming.

I compared the specs with the Clip Zip. The most glaring difference is the removal of DRM WMA support. That's a major change for those of us who use these players for audiobooks from the library. While OverDrive plans to eliminate that format in the future, the fact is, it still exists. Also missing is the voice recorder and stopwatch.

If the above features don't matter, then a larger color display (1.44" vs 1.1"), a longer battery life (25 hrs vs 15 hrs), and a lower price ($10 lower) might make the Sport a better deal.
I didn't even notice the lack of DRM WMA support. Sorry guys! I guess they are getting ready for the library to drop WMA books for MP3s. Doesn't make sense to drop it yet though......
Maybe I'll drop them an email and ask them why they decided to do this.
S
Old 02-14-2014, 06:03 PM   #36
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I'm surprised they dropped the stopwatch from a product aimed at the "sports" market.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:23 PM   #37
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

SanDisk lists the MSRP of the Sport at $10 lower than the Zip (4GB: $40 v $50 and 8GB: $50 v $60).

Currently, Amazon and Best Buy are selling the Sport at full MSRP. They sell the Zip at $10 below MSRP, which makes the price for both models the same. Time will tell if this pricing model remains or if they'll apply a similar discount for the Sport.

In the meantime, the Sport is selling for the same price as the Zip. That eliminates price as a factor in deciding which model to choose.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:44 PM   #38
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Until the 17th, Best Buy has $100 iTunes and App Store gift cards for $85.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-10...&skuId=4056157
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-10...&skuId=9028459
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:03 PM   #39
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
I didn't even notice the lack of DRM WMA support. Sorry guys! I guess they are getting ready for the library to drop WMA books for MP3s. Doesn't make sense to drop it yet though......
Maybe I'll drop them an email and ask them why they decided to do this.
S
Is that a rumor or are they dropping wma? I would rather have mp3, much easier to deal with. Did you email and ask?
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:05 PM   #40
new
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I concur. As it stands now, 35-40% of library audiobooks are only available in WMA format. That's a lot of audiobooks to exclude because of lack of support.
I am hoping they drop wma and use mp3. Lots of people use ipods and mp3 players. I don't like downloading wma, too much hassle, having to drag the laptop out I don't like or use.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:26 PM   #41
silverraven
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
Is that a rumor or are they dropping wma? I would rather have mp3, much easier to deal with. Did you email and ask?
I sent an email, so far no answer. I really don't expect one over the weekend though, so maybe Monday. They have always been good about getting back to me when I have emailed them.
S
Old 02-16-2014, 08:16 PM   #42
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
Quote:
Overdrive Blog post about discontinuing WMA .
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:06 PM   #43
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqdancer View Post
Overdrive Blog post about discontinuing WMA .
Thanks sqdancer for the link and info

Old 02-18-2014, 09:51 AM   #44
silverraven
Guru

Quote:
This is the reply:
Quote:
I understand your concern. Unfortunately, Clip sport model only has 1 USB mode i.e MSC and it is not compatible with subscription services/softwares.

Usually, Sansa players have 2 USB Modes which are MTP and MSC. MTP stands for Media Transfer Protocol which is used for subscription songs. On the other hand, MSC stands for Mass Storage Class - when the device is set to MSC mode, the player will be recognized as a Removable Device. We can try to change the USB mode to resolve this issue.

Clip sport model does not have MTP mode and hence is not compatible with subscription services/softwares. We will forward your feedback to our Product development team for future consideration.
So yadda yadda yadda, blah blah blah, I got no real answer as to why they were dropping WMA library book compatability. I wonder if this is something they have to pay for to use? Like $X amount per clip if they have WMA DRM compatability? Does anyone know? Sorry, I'm out of my element here!
S
Old 02-18-2014, 10:44 AM   #45
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
This is the reply:

So yadda yadda yadda, blah blah blah, I got no real answer as to why they were dropping WMA library book compatability. I wonder if this is something they have to pay for to use? Like $X amount per clip if they have WMA DRM compatability? Does anyone know? Sorry, I'm out of my element here!
S
I've been reading threads about this topic at two forums (SanDisk and anythingbutipod). So far, no answer as to why SanDisk removed the MTP mode.

The only DRM audiobooks that will work are those from Audible.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 02-18-2014 at 10:54 AM.