Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Good grammar can get you a date!

From the BBC today, an interesting article about the way good (and bad) grammar is perceived by others.

Apostrophe now: Bad grammar and the people who hate it
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Does it mean that to break up with someone, all you need to do is use a badly written sentence?
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
Does it mean that to break up with someone, all you need to do is use a badly written sentence?
Its not ewe its mee
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Its not ewe its mee
Deer John:

Wee ca'nt go on like this ennymore. Eye'm thorough with ewe.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:52 AM   #5
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
well, I knew my husband was the right one for me when I quoted Alice in Wonderland to him one date, and by the next date he'd re-read it and came back with the following line. We all pick our significant others for our own reasons.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Deer John:

ewe..nooo..v r jst nt cmptble..c no chkn 4 me..
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #7
alicepattinson
Banned
alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Deer John:

HAHAHAHAHA. Hmmm. Some guys with really high standards want a woman with really good grammar. But some men just want sexy bodies, and the like. hahaha
alicepattinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #8
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
well, I knew my husband was the right one for me when I quoted Alice in Wonderland to him one date, and by the next date he'd re-read it and came back with the following line. We all pick our significant others for our own reasons.
I believe it! I met my husband online, through email, and part of the attraction was that he could write a letter or post I enjoyed reading. That and he has a good sense of humor and is also a reader.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:06 PM   #9
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
I'm not going to pick on someone's use of commas and the like because my own stinks but nothing is a bigger turn-off than when people use made up words like ''irregardless'' or ''supposably''.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #10
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I really got an issue with people using "then" when in fact they mean to use "than". You'd think that among good folks who read a lot this would not happen but you'd be wrong.
As for good grammar getting me dates ...

Oh and one that bugs me is when someone uses the expression: "I could care less" when the correct one is in the negative form and goes: "I couldn't care less".

Last edited by Quexos; 05-13-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:48 PM   #11
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
I'm not going to pick on someone's use of commas and the like because my own stinks but nothing is a bigger turn-off than when people use made up words like ''irregardless'' or ''supposably''.
I can also find those irksome. It helps to remember that all words are inventions. I also feel, occasionably, an irresistible urge to play at invention myself. Babelic flights of fancy can be grate fun.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:07 PM   #12
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
I really got an issue with people using "then" when in fact they mean to use "than". You'd think that among good folks who read a lot this would not happen but you'd be wrong.
As for good grammar getting me dates ...

Oh and one that bugs me is when someone uses the expression: "I could care less" when the correct one is in the negative form and goes: "I couldn't care less".
This really bugs me too! They are saying the opposite of what they think.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:57 PM   #13
Akai
Nameless Being

Then, irregardless, I could care less... Most of my big pet peeves have been mentioned already. (Commas, apostrophes, ellipses and the likes don't tend to bother me so much.) My biggest issue in the realm of bad grammar, especially if the person is fond of reading or, worse, an English major - "I defiantly know what you're saying." I don't know whether these people even realise that defiantly is a word all of its own... It's just not that hard to type definitely. Double negatives are particularly irksome, too - Pink Floyd comes to mind. "We don't need no education..."
Old 05-14-2013, 12:16 AM   #14
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akai View Post
Then, irregardless, I could care less... Most of my big pet peeves have been mentioned already. (Commas, apostrophes, ellipses and the likes don't tend to bother me so much.) My biggest issue in the realm of bad grammar, especially if the person is fond of reading or, worse, an English major - "I defiantly know what you're saying." I don't know whether these people even realise that defiantly is a word all of its own... It's just not that hard to type definitely. Double negatives are particularly irksome, too - Pink Floyd comes to mind. "We don't need no education..."
If I didn't already know that I don't know anybody, I'd think that you must know me. I defiantly know what you're saying. While I could have typed "definitely" it wouldn't really have encapsulated what I meant to convey. I guess that leaves us at a crevasse.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #15
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
My heart starts to pitter-patter if a guy can distinguish between discreet and discrete.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote