Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
sus
sus began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo original
My Original Kobo is frozen

Hi All
I have the first Kobo and received a 2nd Kobo touch so I gave the older Kobo to my daughter and now the older Kobo is frozen. I have tried resetting with a paper clip, charging, throwing it on the floor (lol) (not really) I have used this Kobo for 2 years and never had a problem before, I am devastated as she really enjoyed reading for about a week. The screen is frozen on powered off with lines going thru. If I try going turning it on the blue light comes on then flashes for about 15 seconds and then nothing.
Can someone please direct me it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Sus
sus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
Have you try to charge it ? perhaps the battery went out ?
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
sus

Thanks Vice-Versa

Yes it is plugged in at the moment but the light is blue and sitting at the powered off screen. It will not move from that screen, I tried the menu button and the centre of the page turn button and it will not respond. short of throwing it out the window I do not know what to do anymore.

Thanks
Old 10-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sus View Post
Thanks Vice-Versa

Yes it is plugged in at the moment but the light is blue and sitting at the powered off screen. It will not move from that screen, I tried the menu button and the centre of the page turn button and it will not respond. short of throwing it out the window I do not know what to do anymore.

Thanks
You should try a reset...
http://kobo.intelliresponse.com/inde...obo%20eReader?
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:42 PM   #5
sus

Thanks Cdesja5

I have tried the all of the resets twice and nothing is working.

thanks Sus
Old 10-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Where/how is it plugged in? Perhaps your USB tip is defective? You might try charging with a different cable?
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
sus

It is plugged into my computer and the blue light is on but the Kobo is sitting at the powered off screen and won't move. I don't have a different cable but I do have a ac/dc plug and it is still doing the same thing.

Thanks Sus
Old 10-09-2012, 05:38 PM   #8
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
The screen is frozen on powered off with lines going thru.
Thanks Sus
Any chance you can post a picture? This sounds like you have a cracked screen substrate. If that's the case it's dead unless you replace the screen.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #9
sus

Thank you Robko

That is exactly what has happened. After examining the Kobo in good light I realized I can actually see the point of impact. Well now it goes back to my daughter and she can deal with what she wants to do with it.

Thank you so much
Sus
Old 10-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #10
sus

Sorry about the pic just have a regular cell phone and it doesn't take a great pic.

Thanks for your help at least now i can stop pulling my hair out. lol

sus
Old 10-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #11
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorry about the pic just have a regular cell phone and it doesn't take a great pic.

Thanks for your help at least now i can stop pulling my hair out. lol

sus
Sorry that was the cause. No need for a pic if you can tell it's broke. Anyone that's been around here for a while can ID a broken screen from a pic if you weren't sure.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #12
cloudeea
cloudeea began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo ereader n416 original no wifi
Kobo Original Frozen to death

Hello, I have the same problem as SUS, but my Kobo Original (non wifi) won't charge neither with ubs nor with wall adapter. This happened after I've done a folder method upgrade tentative (I wish I didn't do that!!) and I can't do anything with my ereader: no usb access to folders, no power, no charging.
This is my situation:
I hope that somebody could help me ... thank you,
Claudia
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0216.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	97813  
cloudeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:14 PM   #13
robko
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudeea View Post
This happened after I've done a folder method upgrade tentative (I wish I didn't do that!!) and I can't do anything with my ereader: no usb access to folders, no power, no charging.
What were you upgrading to? There hasn't been an upgrade for the Kobo Original in a long time, and if you tried with a version meant for one of the newer devices you may have bricked it . I can't remember what the sequence to manually start a factory reset on the KO, but if you search the forum you may find that info. Good luck.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:14 AM   #14
cloudeea
cloudeea began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo ereader n416 original no wifi
Thank you for replying robko, I've found out that I couldn't do the upgrade after doing it! I can't do any kind of reset because the KO doesn't charge ... I would like to access the device to fix the problem but I don't know how to do it ...
cloudeea is offline   Reply With Quote