Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-02-2012, 06:22 AM   #1
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Opus updating ?

Dumb question, bound to be, but where/how do I get updates for the Opus please ?

I did send a reply query to Harry over this, but cannot find the thread, sorry.

Oh, and is it best practise generally to update this device every time, or keep a check on other user reports before doing so ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:05 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
http://www.bookeen.com/en/supportdownload/?idPart=2

You'll need to register on the Bookeen web site.

The Opus is unlikely to see any further updates. So pick the one you want (ePub or Mobipocket) and install it. You'll need a Micro SD card to do so.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Paul - we must stop meeting like this....
Many thanks - can I pick both if I use 2 cards ?
Old 01-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Yes, that would be easiest, as the unzipped filename is update_kernel in both cases.
Prepare one card with epub books and the epub version and another with mobi books and the mobi version.
On your computer, you can store the zipped files in the same folder, cybook_fw_1_6_1197 is the mobi version, cybook_fw_2_1_1198 the epub version.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know how many cycles of firmware updating the opus can handle. Several thousands, or perhaps tens of thousands, I suppose. I still worry about it, so I'm keeping mine on Mobipocket for now.

I expect I'll switch to ePub in a year or two. It's nice to have the choice.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
carpetmojo
Wizard

Thanks Paul.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #7
ianw
Ebook Veteran, eh what???
ianw is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ianw is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ianw is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ianw is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ianw is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ianw is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ianw is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ianw is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ianw is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ianw is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ianw is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Opus, Iphone,Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
http://www.bookeen.com/en/supportdownload/?idPart=2

You'll need to register on the Bookeen web site.

The Opus is unlikely to see any further updates. So pick the one you want (ePub or Mobipocket) and install it. You'll need a Micro SD card to do so.
Interestingly on their facebook page, when I mentioned that the opus was still buggy, they did say an update was coming, just not when.

Where did you get your unlikley to see any further updates info from?
ianw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianw View Post
Interestingly on their facebook page, when I mentioned that the opus was still buggy, they did say an update was coming, just not when.

Where did you get your unlikley to see any further updates info from?
From the fact that there haven't been any for a long time! And that the Opus was recently on sale very cheap at Waterstones.

I would, of course, be delighted if they did provide another firmware update, although the only fault I've found with 1.6 so far is that the button selection reverts to default after power off/on.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #9
ianw
ianw is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ianw is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ianw is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ianw is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ianw is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ianw is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ianw is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ianw is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ianw is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ianw is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ianw is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Quote:
From the fact that there haven't been any for a long time! And that the Opus was recently on sale very cheap at Waterstones.

I would, of course, be delighted if they did provide another firmware update, although the only fault I've found with 1.6 so far is that the button selection reverts to default after power off/on.
https://www.facebook.com/Bookeen

About 20 posts down.

the two faults I've found are.

Inverted buttons, doesn't seem to work.
motion sensor, again if you turn it off, it ignores you.

As suggested by support, I've tried powering off and on the device, makes no difference.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:11 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Yes, you're quite right.

Quote:
Bookeen: Yes, an upgrade for the Opus is in development. I can't say when it will be available but as soon as I have some news I will announce it here and on our blog
Well. That's good news.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:56 AM   #11
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Quote:
I don't know how many cycles of firmware updating the opus can handle. Several thousands, or perhaps tens of thousands, I suppose. I still worry about it, so I'm keeping mine on Mobipocket for now.
I strongly suspect that this is less than this, hundreds times to a few thousand is more accurate... Anyway, changing the firmware to change between epub/mobi multiple times is a bad habbit. (each update will shorten the lifetime of your device..) (But you don't worry, if you already did it a lot of time, for example, one update per day) you still have (theoricaly) a 1 to 2 year of maltreatment for your device NAND ) (but the number is theorical, the nand may fail before that number..)

You should convert the file from one format to the other one, and stick to it, it would be better for the lifetime of your device..
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #12
ianw

Well given that you can write to it, it's going to be similar to other ssd type storage, and be thousands of times. Surely, you pick a format, buy books in that format and stick with it? In the UK, there is amazon, or epub, is it different elsewhere then?
Old 01-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #13
kronckew
Bookworm
kronckew began at the beginning.

Device: bookeen opus
last spring, march-ish, i queried bookeen support re the update they had promised since the previous fall - posted the results here somewhere. it was, for me, in regard to the two irritating bugs mentioned above.

i had gone thru the normal 'it's been sent to the developers', 'the developers are aware of it', 'it'll be fixed in the next update', and after a few more back-and-forths, i was finally told there was an opus update in beta which was being tested by their beta testers, and it would be with them for 'a few months' before general release. 'few' obviously means a larger number to them than to me.

i'm glad i did not hold my breath.

a reluctance to continue support of older products with outstanding known bugs is not encouraging me to buy a newer model. i love my opus anyway, and the newer ones do not float my boat as much.

Last edited by kronckew; 01-11-2012 at 02:01 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #14
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Who tell you about a beta test? Never heard of it !?
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:09 AM   #15
kronckew
Bookworm
kronckew began at the beginning.

Device: bookeen opus
godzil, from emails

Quote:
On 31 Mar 2011 15:36, Bookeen Support wrote:
====================================
Could you please wait for several months ?

We already have the new update with the corrected buttons, it will be tested and then published on our website. It is ready to be used, however we need to test it.

Thank you very much for your patience and understanding.

Kind regards,

Bookeen Support Team

Bookeen - www.bookeen.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: mardi 29 mars 2011 21:51
To: bookeen.support
Subject: ASSISTANCE : Opus - Other

back in early december, i logged a support call regarding the opus side key reassignment bug where it would not retain it's inverted setting after being turned off/on, and was assured by support that it was as known bug that was being worked on and would be out in an update in the near future.

4 months on no news, no update, what gives? any idea on when an update FOR THE OPUS may be due, if ever? if you are not going to fix it, please let me know so i can inform other users on the forum.

regards,

wayne
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote