Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-18-2008, 05:28 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
PM = "Private Message". Go into "User Control Panel" (link at the top of the screen - "User CP") and then "Private Messages".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:31 AM   #32
adamtaurus
adamtaurus began at the beginning.

Device: Gen 3 cybook
Do I have to ask Bookeen for Version 538?
adamtaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:34 AM   #33
M.H.
Connoisseur
M.H. doesn't litterM.H. doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3, iPad
The answer is in your private messages.
M.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:34 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Please read the message that I've sent you!
Old 05-18-2008, 08:05 AM   #35
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Unfortunately it sounds as if the internal partition is corrupt. No way to reformat it unless it'll get as far as mounting as a USB device. I think you may, unfortunately, have to send it back to Bookeen .

Anyone else have any suggestions?
But it seems a bit strange that you do not see the disk (if your partition is corrupt you do not see it but you should se the raw disk). I have tested to remove significant files and I also tested to totally corrupt the file system (changed it to ext2 which could not be mounted by the Cybook) and in booth cases I could reformat it via the USB cable by connecting the cable and then turning the Cybook on.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:37 PM   #36
momghoti
Zealot
momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Bookeen
If the cybook keeps rebooting, you may have a shot. Mine doesn't get that far--it is stuck on the very first splash page, and doesn't cycle at all. When I push the reset it turns the LED off, but the page is still showing(I know, this is how it's supposed to work) so I can't get off of the page at all. I have tried 'downgrading' but I don't think it gets far enough in the firmware to allow that--nothing happens.

I think a trip back to Bookeen is in the cards---
Anyone know how long it'll take?? Once they contact me, anyway.

Last edited by momghoti; 05-18-2008 at 03:48 PM.
momghoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 04:14 PM   #37
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by momghoti View Post
If the cybook keeps rebooting, you may have a shot. Mine doesn't get that far--it is stuck on the very first splash page, and doesn't cycle at all. When I push the reset it turns the LED off, but the page is still showing(I know, this is how it's supposed to work) so I can't get off of the page at all. I have tried 'downgrading' but I don't think it gets far enough in the firmware to allow that--nothing happens.

I think a trip back to Bookeen is in the cards---
Anyone know how long it'll take?? Once they contact me, anyway.
Let's see... For me, sending *FROM* California, using FedEx, it took a week to get there. And about 4 days to get back. Your mileage may vary.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:51 AM   #38
M.H.
Connoisseur
M.H. doesn't litterM.H. doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3, iPad
Adamtaurus,

Can you explain exactly what happened when you tried installing version 538?
Did the display look different while installing 538 compared to 685?
M.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:50 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Problem solved by PM. It was due to corrupt file systems on both the internal partition AND the SD card. Reflashing with 538 and reformatting the SD card sorted it.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:56 AM   #40
SUSGOD
Connoisseur
SUSGOD began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre-eBook reader PRO
Black, gray, & white checkerboard

HELP!

Last night my Cybook was down to 60% when I attached it to the USB cable to charge. This morning I had a checkerboard pattern of black, medium grey, light grey, white on the screen.

It will not shut off.
It will not reset.
My SD slot never worked (& Bookeen wants me to pay to fix it) so I can not load the new firmware.

Besides waiting for the just recharged battery to run down and e-mailing Bookeen support, what can I do?

Susan
SUSGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:58 AM   #41
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Problem solved by PM. It was due to corrupt file systems on both the internal partition AND the SD card. Reflashing with 538 and reformatting the SD card sorted it.
How do you know it was a corrupt internal file system? Did you try to reflash with 1.1 after reformatting the SD card? And what happened then?
Old 05-19-2008, 08:02 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Installing 538 reformats the internal partition. With that done, the machine booted with the SD card removed, but failed to start correctly with the SD card in. Reformatting the SD card has, I believe, sorted the problem, and the machine has been successfully reflashed to firmware 685.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:03 AM   #43
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSGOD View Post
HELP!

Last night my Cybook was down to 60% when I attached it to the USB cable to charge. This morning I had a checkerboard pattern of black, medium grey, light grey, white on the screen.

It will not shut off.
It will not reset.
My SD slot never worked (& Bookeen wants me to pay to fix it) so I can not load the new firmware.

Besides waiting for the just recharged battery to run down and e-mailing Bookeen support, what can I do?

Susan
You get a checkerboard pattern if you remove some system files or if the internal partition is not readable for some reason. Connect an USB cable to the Cybook and then turn it on. Wait until the disk appear on your computer. Restore the system files from backup or reformat the disk and restore the files. I guess you need to reformat it.

If you have not saved the system files you can find them here:

egad.dyndns.org/cybook/firstbuild/
Old 05-19-2008, 08:05 AM   #44
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSGOD View Post
It will not shut off.
It will not reset.
Are you sure? press the reset button (nothing should happen). The turn it on with the power button.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:23 AM   #45
SUSGOD
Connoisseur
SUSGOD began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre-eBook reader PRO
Thank you, Tommy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
You get a checkerboard pattern if you remove some system files or if the internal partition is not readable for some reason. Connect an USB cable to the Cybook and then turn it on. Wait until the disk appear on your computer. Restore the system files from backup or reformat the disk and restore the files.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Are you sure? press the reset button (nothing should happen). The turn it on with the power button.
I looked at the reflash video http://www.justread.de/Videos/, followed the directions to reflash, and pressed the power button, but there was no change in the screen. To load the system files from my backup, I hooked the cybook to a computer and everything worked as just soon as the USB connection was made. I did not even need to load the system fiiles.

Thank you, Tommy!
SUSGOD is offline   Reply With Quote