Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-19-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
sweKDXG
Pearl ink rocks!
sweKDXG began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
KDX Graphite Iwhispernet issues outside US?!

Hey everyone I'm from Sweden and I just got a Kindle DX Graphite (really happy with the new pearl ink screen) Don't know if anyone else outside the US experienced this on their kindle DX:

Wireless connection works - I can visit the amazon shop and the ONLY bookmark I can visit using the experimental browser is Wikipedia. None of the other bookmarks work, all I get is an error with a message like "due to local restrictions....is not supported in your country"

I double checked with amazon as well, they're having a look at this as we speak. Anyone else in this forum experienced similar problems, any tips on how to deal with this?

I'm a first time register and you'll be reading more of me in the near future (as soon as I can get the browser working properly)

Cheers
sweKDXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
wesleyer
Connoisseur
wesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enough

Device: none
When Amazon launched the international Kindle versions, this was a constraint of the experimental browser: only Amazon and Wikipedia sites could be accessed. This was not a problem, it was by design (they were concerned about the international data roaming charges).

They seem to be removing constraints like this and the additional price they charged for international buyers for most countries; I'm not sure what is the state of things now.
wesleyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2010, 08:09 AM   #3
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I use a Kindle 2i in Sweden, and haven't had any problem accessing other sites other than their design not exactly being optimized for Kindle screens. You might want to check your firmware, but I'd assume the KDXG came with the latest. Check Amazon for firmware update.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:40 AM   #4
sweKDXG
Pearl ink rocks!

I've contacted the amazon support and here's the answer I got:

Quote:
Hello,

I've checked our website and see that currently Blogs and the experimental web browser are not available for your country (Sweden). I'm sorry if this is disappointing. However, you will have free access to Wikipedia and Free 3G wireless lets you download books right from your Kindle.

You can find this information on the Kindle DX product detail page.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GYWHSQ

Please click on the link "Click here to see important information specific to your country" just below "Live Outside the U.S.?" option and choose your country from the drop-down list. You'll find all the specific information related to your home country

Also, at this time the optional 2-year Extended Warranty is only available for U.S. customers.
Quote:
Blogs and the experimental web browser are currently not available for your country. You will have free access to Wikipedia if wireless is available.

Apparently Sweden isn't a country supported wtf? The whispernet coverage is excellent in Sweden, in fact one of the best. Italy, Holland, Germany, Finland has the KDX browser working. Not me? There are swedish kindle owners that can verify that it works. I'm so disappointed by this, I'm thinking of returning it back to Amazon.

This is really sad, any thoughts on this matter....?!
Old 07-20-2010, 02:20 PM   #5
katzenstreik
Winged Ape
katzenstreik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.katzenstreik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.katzenstreik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2i
Like Kumabjorn said:

What firmware-version do you have?

Go to your settings page, it should appear at the bottom.

If you're anywhere under 2.5.x you have to update and your Kindle should be able to access the internet unrestricted.
katzenstreik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2010, 02:37 PM   #6
sweKDXG
Pearl ink rocks!

fw is 2.5.5 - looks like it's been disabled by amazon on fw 2.5.5 so I'll be shipping it back to amazon - and there's no way to bypass the whispernet and use wireless or local 3G coverage?
Old 07-20-2010, 06:24 PM   #7
katzenstreik
Winged Ape
katzenstreik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.katzenstreik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.katzenstreik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweKDXG View Post
fw is 2.5.5 - looks like it's been disabled by amazon on fw 2.5.5 so I'll be shipping it back to amazon - and there's no way to bypass the whispernet and use wireless or local 3G coverage?
That's the first I hear about this, that makes me suspect you're doing something wrong... And I still got no problem with my K2i in Germany.

Hey DXG owners - can anybody confirm it? (mgmueller?)
Old 07-20-2010, 06:46 PM   #8
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I've used mine in Germany with no problems at all, but unfortunately I haven't ventured to Sweden to give it a go. That would be a real shame if you can only access those sites.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:48 AM   #9
sweKDXG
Pearl ink rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenstreik View Post
That's the first I hear about this, that makes me suspect you're doing something wrong... And I still got no problem with my K2i in Germany.

Hey DXG owners - can anybody confirm it? (mgmueller?)
I was told by amazon it is disabled in my country. So Germany works fine?

Quote:
you're doing something wrong
I've tried sync items, look for firmware, restart, log in to kindle shop first before starting the browser, I've tried basic and desktop mode, I've tried every bookmark on the device. Anything else I forgot? Should I change my country settings on the amazon page or leave it as it is.

So I'll be paying shipment and return it back, hopefully people getting the KDX Graphite will learn from my experience.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:14 AM   #10
RobertPS
RobertPS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DXG, PB 360 plus, Yotaphone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweKDXG View Post
I've tried sync items, look for firmware, restart, log in to kindle shop first before starting the browser, I've tried basic and desktop mode, I've tried every bookmark on the device. Anything else I forgot? Should I change my country settings on the amazon page or leave it as it is.

So I'll be paying shipment and return it back, hopefully people getting the KDX Graphite will learn from my experience.
I wonder if your problem has to do with the specific provider network in Sweden to which your DXG is connected? It seems odd that others do have access in Sweden.

Perhaps Amazon and/or AT&T have a contract with includes full service with provider A and an additional limited service contract with provider B for areas where provider A has no coverage.

Just speculating here. Perhaps you or just your DXG can travel to another area in Sweden to test this hypothesis?
RobertPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:23 AM   #11
katzenstreik
Winged Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertPS View Post
I wonder if your problem has to do with the specific provider network in Sweden to which your DXG is connected? It seems odd that others do have access in Sweden.

Perhaps Amazon and/or AT&T have a contract with includes full service with provider A and an additional limited service contract with provider B for areas where provider A has no coverage.

Just speculating here. Perhaps you or just your DXG can travel to another area in Sweden to test this hypothesis?
If that was the case, then switching the carrier would solve the problem - hit 311 with open settings. But I don't think it's so easy.

Quote:
Blogs and the experimental web browser are currently not available for your country. You will have free access to Wikipedia if wireless is available.
Just to clarify for you, sweKDXG, that's the official statement for most whispernet-countries outside the US, for Germany it sounds like this:

Quote:
Blogs, social networking features, and the experimental web browser are currently not avalable for your country. You will have free access to Wikipedia if wireless is available.
Since you're still the only one I know with this problem, I really can't tell you anything else...
Old 07-22-2010, 08:26 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why will you be sending it back? Didn't you buy it to use as a book reader?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:41 PM   #13
Diegan
Diegan began at the beginning.

Device: Jinke V3
I am also very afraid of this (I just ordered one KDX). A friend of mine bought the older DX a month ago, and he can only browse wikipedia and amazon. We live in Spain .

In the amazon page you named before, says that in spain we cannot access any website apart for those 2, but it says the same in Germany, where people here say they can navigate to all websites :S
Diegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:10 PM   #14
selenic
selenic began at the beginning.

Device: none
I've just bought Dx Graphite, firmware 2.5.5. I live in Milan, Italy and I have the same issue. Tried with different carriers but no way.
Pretty disappointing as may others in Italy can browse any sites without restrictions.
What about deregistering and try a new registration with an american address?
selenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:33 AM   #15
Diegan
Diegan began at the beginning.

Device: Jinke V3
I would also like to know the answer to that. Any europeans that registered to a fake US address?
Diegan is offline   Reply With Quote