Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-23-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
surrealmind
Connoisseur
surrealmind began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color CM7, EB 1150, TC1100
How can this be?

So I'm casually browsing ebook readers on EBay today, and I stumble upon this seller hawking Kindle 2's w/o Wifi for about $100: http://cgi.ebay.com/EBook-reader-EBo...item2a07526ca0. My question is, how in the world is it possible to have a batch of new Kindle 2s that don't have wifi, and what's more, to sell them for $100? Is it possible that someone got a hold of a batch of defective units, or does this reek of stolen goods? A Kindle 2 at $100 is definitely an eye catcher.
surrealmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Perhaps stolen and banned by amazon?
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2010, 08:25 PM   #3
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Yeah, something is up.

Besides, a Kindle with no 3g and no store access has pretty limited utility. I'd pass.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:36 PM   #4
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
On the other hand a kindle that doesn't send information on your reading habits back to amazon and can be loaded with public domain titles and drm free ones from Baen at $100 sounds like a much cheaper sony reader. I'd have still bought a kindle without 3g, that wasn't a selling point to me, it was a drawback.

But ya they're probably hot I'd stay away.
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:43 PM   #5
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I sent the guy an email to see
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2010, 08:44 PM   #6
surrealmind
Connoisseur

You know, I just sort of assumed they were stolen too until I noticed the quantity that (s)he is selling. The whole thing is just weird. If they are stolen, it almost suggests there's a large black market for stolen Kindles. Which, if true, is sad to see; so many people's e-reading joy snuffed out by banditti.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:45 PM   #7
surrealmind
Connoisseur

Quote:
I sent the guy an email to see
Ha, stick it to them, eh? You are gutsier than I am.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:40 PM   #8
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
I've heard that the large lots on eBay are stolen from the Amazon warehouses. Then there are scammers on Craigslist that sell you a Kindle/iPad/etc cheap for cash, then call you up with some sob story about how they sold said Kindle/iPad/etc in error and offer to buy it back for more money, but you have to take a check from them. That check bounces, of course.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote