Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #46
studsky
studsky began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle NT 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by view_source View Post
The update fails, error code U006.
Hi view_source,

I had the same problem and solved it by restoring the original screensaver folder. I think the update script checks the root-folders for modifications and since there is an backup-folder for the screensaver hack, the update script fails.

I have copied again the data.tar.gz file to my kindle. Then I put a customized RUNME.sh to the kindle.

The customized RUNME.sh will restore the screensaver folder.

Just restart the kindle, and you should see the amazon screensaver.

Update works then fine for me.

Warning: my customized runme.sh - file works only for the screensaver-hack in post 1. After a successful run please remove the runme.sh file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip RUNME_restore.zip (227 Bytes, 2965 views)
studsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #47
view_source
view_source began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle NT4
Great, thanks very much for your reply! Someone else suggested I replace one of the original screensavers into the directory without renaming the file and this also worked.

Giving two different options for people having trouble, but for the one I did they need the correct file so your way seems better.
view_source is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2012, 04:39 PM   #48
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've used that RUNME_restore.zip file to remove the hack and update to 4.1.0. Can I now re-apply the hack to get my custom screensaver back?
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #49
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gers1978 View Post
I've used that RUNME_restore.zip file to remove the hack and update to 4.1.0. Can I now re-apply the hack to get my custom screensaver back?
AFAIK it doesn't run on 4.1
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #50
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
I saw some posts about a successful 4.1 screensaver hack. I believe one of the screensaver image files needed to be renamed. It may be in the parent "Amazon Kindle" forum...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2012, 10:34 PM   #51
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Actually what doesn't run is the ad-remover hack. I have no idea for the custom-screensaver part. Sorry for this.

we need some feedback for the screensaver hack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I believe one of the screensaver image files needed to be renamed. It may be in the parent "Amazon Kindle" forum...
renaming one of the files is needed for upgrading the fw (only?) .

Quote:
Originally Posted by view_source View Post
Someone else suggested I replace one of the original screensavers into the directory without renaming the file and this also worked.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:37 AM   #52
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Actually what doesn't run is the ad-remover hack. I have no idea for the custom-screensaver part. Sorry for this.
- - -
we need some feedback for the screensaver hack.
- - -
renaming one of the files is needed for upgrading the fw (only?) .
There was a post including a run-me shell command file that does the job.
Indexed: K4 -> Update Fails

One of the topics yesterday that inspired the "Help Me" poll.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #53
Wolowizardry
Wolowizardry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolowizardry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolowizardry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolowizardry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolowizardry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolowizardry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolowizardry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolowizardry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolowizardry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolowizardry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolowizardry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kinlde 4 (Grey)
I was Gonna Buy A Kindle 4 SO But I Saw That U Cant Remove Ads and I Thought On Buying A Kindle Touch Special Offers But No Fit To Screen On Images or Screensaver Hack Other Than Simple Hack, So Im Back On Buying A Kindle 4 No Special Offers, And I Have A Question, Does Anyone Know If This Method I Found On Youtube Still Works With 4.1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWvba...ure=plpp_video
Wolowizardry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:44 AM   #54
crgnwbry
crgnwbry began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
hey, so I've tried this Runme_restore and it doesn't work for me... could I be doing something wrong? I've placed both the runme.sh and the data.tar.gz in the root folder of my kindle and it seems to execute fine. so then I add the update_kindle_4.1.0_B00E file to the kindle root folder and tell the kindle to update. The kindle makes one reboot, says its installed properly, then makes a second reboot and says the update has failed and gives me the code U006 or U008 still.. This is quite frustrating if anyone has any ideas that would be great.

-Craig.
crgnwbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:46 AM   #55
crgnwbry
crgnwbry began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
oh yea, and after the update fails there is a file in the kindle root folder titled Update_payload. I can't open it to see what it is though.
-Craig.
crgnwbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #56
guybrushT
guybrushT began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Non Touch
Hi all.

I am new here and signed up for help with the custom screen saver hack.

I have applied the hack in post #1 and it works great. However I noticed that when I put in custom screen saver the following happens.

1. The screensaver images don't rotate / refresh
2. Never turn off. If I leave my Kindle for an hour, I come back to the picture.

I have tried to restore to the original using the file in post #46, but now I just get a blank screen for screen savers.

How do I completely restore back to normal.

Thanks
guybrushT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #57
lega4
lega4 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
On 4.0.1 firmware I have installed Screensaver hack (folder "linkss" appears in the root of kindle folder; I think, there was this hack). It works perfectly and randomizing screensavers work great. But some time ago my Kindle installed new firmware 4.1.0. Following this post I have disabled ads on my Kindle. After doing this, my old screensavers are returned.
But there are one little problem - now screensavers are in sequential order, random doesn't work.
Any suggestions?
P.S. Sorry for my English..
lega4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #58
lega4
lega4 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
On 4.0.1 firmware I have installed Screensaver hack (folder "linkss" appears in the root of kindle folder; I think, there was this hack). It works perfectly and randomizing screensavers work great. But some time ago my Kindle installed new firmware 4.1.0. Following this post I have disabled ads on my Kindle. After doing this, my old screensavers are returned.
But there are one little problem - now screensavers are in sequential order, random doesn't work.
Any suggestions?
I have tried uninstall old script and install new version from here. After doing this, randomizing start work and all OK)
lega4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:45 AM   #59
guybrushT
guybrushT began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Non Touch
I have managed to restore the original images back to my kindle so that the new firmware can be updated.

However I don't know why the images don't rotate and aren't randomised.

I used this code

Quote:
mntroot rw

mkdir /mnt/us/screensaver

mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/base-mmc

mv /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800 /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800.old

ln -sfn /mnt/us/screensaver /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800
which to me looks like

1) The image is mounted
2)A directory is made on the usb drive called screensaver
3) The contents of 800x600 is backed up
4) a link is created between the new screensaver folder and the 800x600 folder

So to me this suggests that the randomising / normal use of screensaver is messed up by the 4th command.

How can I fix this so that it operates normally / undoes the link with 'screensaver'. I now have the original PNG image files used for the screensaver in the 800x600 foler.

Thanks

Last edited by guybrushT; 06-24-2012 at 11:47 AM.
guybrushT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:53 AM   #60
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The screensavers are *never* randomized/rotated at runtime, even on a default firmware.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote