Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #1
The CB
Enthusiast
The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony PRS505
EPUB not displayed properly in Prestigio 3162

I did some EPUB books using Sigil. It displays perfectly on most readers except on Prestigio 3162. When I convert it through calibre EPUB-EPUB it works ok so it only does not display Sigil-made EPUB correctly. Anyone knows what could be the problem?
The CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by The CB View Post
Anyone knows what could be the problem?
It could be anything, including a cosmic gamma-ray. At last I didn't know what's the format of Prestigio. epub, mobi lrf, pdf, irf ....

Quote:
When I convert it through calibre EPUB-EPUB
Converting Epub to Epub with calibre ?????
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I did some EPUB books using Sigil. It displays perfectly on most readers except on Prestigio 3162. When I convert it through calibre EPUB-EPUB it works ok so it only does not display Sigil-made EPUB correctly. Anyone knows what could be the problem?
Calibre can/does fix minor errors.
Since you furnished zilch about this EPUB, we can only guess

The most common device error is really not an EPUB error: Sections are just too big and the device chokes.

No more than 260K per section if it is going to be read on a portable device
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
The CB
Enthusiast
The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Calibre can/does fix minor errors.
Since you furnished zilch about this EPUB, we can only guess

The most common device error is really not an EPUB error: Sections are just too big and the device chokes.

No more than 260K per section if it is going to be read on a portable device
It consists of 19 xhtml files. The biggest is about 70 kb size. I know I am not giving too much here but it is because I don't know what I should say. I did it in the same way like many other EPUBs till now, but this is the first time I am trying it on Prestigio and it seems it is a common problem that Prestigio reader does not display EPUB files correctly (no chapter breaks and similar) untill it is converted in Calibre. Any other reader displays it perfectly Maybe I can give the link here so you can check it through if you have time.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
The CB
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmat1 View Post
It could be anything, including a cosmic gamma-ray. At last I didn't know what's the format of Prestigio. epub, mobi lrf, pdf, irf ....
I said EPUB format made in Sigil can not be displayed properly in Prestigio e-book reader.

Quote:
Converting Epub to Epub with calibre ?????
Yes many users of Prestigio e-ink e-book reader are forced to re-convert epub to epub again using Calibre to be able to see the text normally. I wondered if there is something in system of Prestigio that doesn't recognise styles given in Sigil
Advert
Old 03-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
I said EPUB format made in Sigil can not be displayed properly in Prestigio e-book reader.

Yes many users of Prestigio e-ink e-book reader are forced to re-convert epub to epub again using Calibre to be able to see the text normally. I wondered if there is something in system of Prestigio that doesn't recognise styles given in Sigil
Frankly, it sounds like a Prestigio issue to me. ePUBs are generically standard. With very few exceptions, Sigil-prepared ePUBs work fine on 99% of all the devices I've tested--which is a BUNCH. It sounds as though Prestigio has some proprietary display issues that require some other type of formatting. Since it's utterly unclear to me WHAT isn't displaying properly (you seem to be indicating "no chapter breaks," but as in Sigil, "chapters" = "files," then that really IS a Prestigio issue), I can't address it further.

Off the top of my head, I can't think why a Calibre ePUB would of necessity display a "chapter break" (new file) versus a Sigil ePUB, unless there's something in Prestigio's interpreter/renderer (do you know which it is?) that uses heading style CSS in lieu of the ncx...?? Dunno. Kovid or user_none might have insight into this peculiarity.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #7
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I wondered if there is something in system of Prestigio that doesn't recognise styles given in Sigil
OK, it seams that you have a really good reason to convert epub to epub, so i will be silent.

If you want us to have a look on your book, go ahead. I don't have specific knowledege with the prestigio (you might have guessed it ) but some experience with epub in general.

Maybe it's a good idea to compare the content.opf of a working convertion to get an idea, which changes calibre made, and which one causes the problem.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Frankly, it sounds like a Prestigio issue to me. ePUBs are generically standard. With very few exceptions, Sigil-prepared ePUBs work fine on 99% of all the devices I've tested--which is a BUNCH. It sounds as though Prestigio has some proprietary display issues that require some other type of formatting. Since it's utterly unclear to me WHAT isn't displaying properly (you seem to be indicating "no chapter breaks," but as in Sigil, "chapters" = "files," then that really IS a Prestigio issue), I can't address it further.

Off the top of my head, I can't think why a Calibre ePUB would of necessity display a "chapter break" (new file) versus a Sigil ePUB, unless there's something in Prestigio's interpreter/renderer (do you know which it is?) that uses heading style CSS in lieu of the ncx...?? Dunno. Kovid or user_none might have insight into this peculiarity.

Hitch
You and I make chapters per file, but many times I see the biggest, longest (many chapters) file ever. That still works (and validates), but my poor PEz
IIRC Calibre convert will split on chapter by default.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #9
The CB
Enthusiast

Thank you all for your answers. My guess was it was up to prestigio software. I really don't know what interpreter it uses. Will have to find out. It didn't display chapter break although the chapter was the new xhtml file and it didn't recognise headings so it didn't recognise TOC and it didn't recognise some styles. Here I give styles from the stylesheet

p {margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt; padding-top: 2pt; padding-bottom: 2pt; text-indent: 2em; text-align:justify;}
h1 {font-size: 4em; text-align: center; padding-top: 5em;}
h2 {font-size: 2em; text-align: center; padding-top: 10em; page-break-after: always;}
h3 {font-size: 1.5em; text-align: center; padding-top: 1em; padding-bottom: 0.5em;}
.CB {font-size: 1.2em;
font-weight: bold;
text-indent: 0;
text-align: center;
padding-top: 1.5em;
padding-bottom: 0.5em;}

.CB1 {font-size: 1.0em;
font-style: italic;
text-indent: 0;
text-align: center;
padding-top: 1.5em;
padding-bottom: 0.5em;}

it totally ignored them I will post photo how it looked and part of the code of the page. Just please in the stylesheet ignore h1 and h2 styles I haven't used them in this book only h3.

Last edited by The CB; 03-11-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #10
The CB
Enthusiast

And here is the part of that exact page. I have to do it like this because I am not sure if I am allowed to post this book here now.

<body>
<p class="CB">J. G. Ballard:</p>

<p class="CB">Memories of the Space Age</p>

<p class="CB1">Preveo Žarko Vodinelić</p>

<h3 id="heading_id_2">Sjećanje na svemirsko doba</h3>

<p>Cijeli je dan taj čudni pilot ..........poput komadića uznemirena uma.</p>

<p>Sa svoga balkona Mallory je .......... napuklog betona.</p>

I shortened the paragraphs no need for them to be in entire length. And the part of the text that you can see above "J. G. Ballard" is from the previous file-chapter. I hope you can see and understand what I am talking about here.

Last edited by The CB; 03-11-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:

And here is the part of that exact page. I have to do it like this because I am not sure if I am allowed to post this book here now.

<body>
<p class="CB">J. G. Ballard:</p>

<p class="CB">Memories of the Space Age</p>

<p>Cijeli je dan taj čudni pilot ..........poput komadića uznemirena uma.</p>

<p>Sa svoga balkona Mallory je .......... napuklog betona.</p>

I shortened the paragraphs no need for them to be in entire length. And the part of the text that you can see above "J. G. Ballard" is from the previous file-chapter. I hope you can see and understand what I am talking about here.
To be blunt, that is a Crazy layout
You have 3 lines of text Before the H3 heading, the normal anchor point.

the H3 style does not have a page-break-before: always (which will also orphan those 3 lines I mentioned.

You could make the first P have an additional selector

<p class="CB pagebreak">

and have a style:
.pagebreak {page-break-before: always }
Old 03-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #12
The CB
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
To be blunt, that is a Crazy layout
You have 3 lines of text Before the H3 heading, the normal anchor point.

the H3 style does not have a page-break-before: always (which will also orphan those 3 lines I mentioned.

You could make the first P have an additional selector

<p class="CB pagebreak">

and have a style:
.pagebreak {page-break-before: always }
I didn't put page break before-always in h3 style because I didn't want those two lines before h3 to stay on different page and I didn't want to make page break before them all because it was already in the new file. Obviously here I will have too. Sometimes after I convert files like that to mobi it makes one empty page that is why I avoid to put pagebreak when I am already starting new file.
I admit I did some silly format there with those paragraphs before the first anchor point and I wondered if that would work and was happy when it did, untill Prestigio came to act :-( I will try to reorganize these chapters and see how it goes then.
I am just worried that this was not the first ebook that didn't display correctly in that reader. I am talking about books with normal postion of anchor points :-(Sometimes it doesn't even want to open the book edited in Sigil until it is not reconverted in Calibre. Will have to compare what calibre makes there.

Last edited by The CB; 03-11-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #13
mmat1
Berti

Quote:
The stylesheet is flawless. (from technical view)

From the picture i can see, that it ignores totally any style.

I made a little epub an run it through callibre to see, what will happen.

First it changes the name of the stylesheet, please check the spelling of your original (link in header). Sometimes the naming of the Stylesheet is case sensitive.

Second it makes some additional declarations in content.opf (i expected this) this could be the solution, just give it a try
Code:
<metadata xmlns:calibre="http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/2009/metadata" xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:dcterms="http://purl.org/dc/terms/" xmlns:opf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
Third it adds (as usual) some styles.

Concerning "page-breaks": Have you considered to make a special format for a <div> to put pagebreaks to any position within the text ? Afaik theres no need to watch out for anchors....

Well I don't find something really obvious, just a bit trial and error ...
Old 03-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #14
The CB
Enthusiast

Quote:
I made a little epub an run it through callibre to see, what will happen.
Thank you for your effort I will check everything and will test it until I find the way. Thank you all for the guidance and suggestions. I just hope I will be able to save as much as possible of my styles.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:17 PM   #15
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
It's ignoring more than just the pagebreaks; it's ignoring what should be a break between the paragraph styled thusly:

Code:
And the header styled this way:

Code:
See how they run together? That's funky to start with, forgetting all the rest. That h3 is supposed to be centered, with 1em above and a half-em below; but it runs into that CB1 styled paragraph, which should ALSO be centered and have some vertical whitespace above and below--so something is definitely weird. Without seeing more than this, I don't know if anyone can help you, because either that reader is some kind of messed-up, or you have something in there--a div, maybe--that's overriding what should be happening.

You can post parts of books even under fair use--if you simply had some bits of code here and a small part of a book, I would THINK (you should check with the forum owner and whomever owns the book, if it's a client) that you would be all right to post some small parts here for us to look at, but something very odd, unrelated to Sigil, I'd say, is occurring here.

@mmat: I don't see why the metadata declaration from Calibre would have any effect whatsoever on this peculiar behavior; something is, I suspect, cascading DOWN and wreaking havoc with what we see here before us.

@CB: are you using an xgpt? Or page-level (file-level) divs? Or...??? What other reading DEVICES and/or software have you actually tested on, in which it works, and what is the name of your actual stylesheet file and what is your styling declaration inside the header, pls?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote