Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-08-2009, 07:38 PM   #1
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
Daily Finance on the Nook: It's a dog

Quote:
the first wave of reviews are coming in today, and the consensus is that the nook is a worthy competitor to Amazon's (AMZN) Kindle.
--
All told, it looks like the nook still has some kinks to iron out in order to fight fair with the Kindle, which just announced some additional features to benefit blind and vision-impaired readers. But for now, Rothman says, "in the ebook department, there's just these two big dogs surrounded by a bunch of poodles."
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2009/12/...ler-but-a-wor/
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:10 PM   #2
jmaloney
Connoisseur
jmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader Touch
That a nicely misleading subject you've got there, on several levels.
jmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:13 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
'sigh. I just keep remembering when the kindle first came out, there were issues and lots of negative reviews on the battery, performance, etc.

Luckily I ignored all the negatives, and bit........and haven't been sorry for one second.

Nook owners will no doubt feel the same way....

Give it a chance, a little time. If BN has any desire at all to really become a major player, they will straighten things out.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:15 PM   #4
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
I wish you would give it up. Why don't you read on your beloved Kindle for a while instead of searching for anything negative you can find on the nook or making snarky comments on any thread that mentions the nook. It is really getting tiring.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:17 PM   #5
Abulia
Enthusiast
Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: nook
Even if people interested in the Kindle when it came out had to put up with the same amount of seemingly endless threadcrapping that we're seeing here in the nook forum, it's really making finding useful information difficult. It'd be nice if the moderators would tighten things a bit.
Abulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:42 PM   #6
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
If BN has any desire at all to really become a major player, they will straighten things out.

Agreed. And for those that followed the link, thats what the Daily Finance website said.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:03 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I have to say, I'm a little upset to hear my Reader compared to a poodle
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:05 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I like dogs!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:24 PM   #9
Not_A_Crook
Which way is up?
Not_A_Crook has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Alphasmart Neo (word processor, Viable document reader.)
If the nook is a dog, then the youth of my own little furry best friend is reclaimed- Makes me laugh how the currently most advanced Ereader is being rounded with the Kindle...
Not_A_Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:31 AM   #10
Ocean
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abulia View Post
useful information
Like the speed and usability of the device?
Old 12-09-2009, 02:30 AM   #11
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Like the speed and usability of the device?
Problem is, these kinds of communities are dedicated to purchase justification. A lot of people, for whatever reasons, purchased Nooks. They're gonna want to justify it, and hearing many comments about it being slow and mediocre aren't helpful to them. Confirmation bias among users makes it hard for anyone to post contrary information without being dismissed or labeled a troll.

These people want to hear that although it's slower than the Kindle, it's still fast enough for them. They want to hear that although it's a bit rough around the edges, it'll be resolved shortly.

Most of these people are satisfied with mediocrity as well. They prefer reading epub files on their Vizplex screens and seem to almost take pride in the fact that they spent hundreds of dollars for text-viewing calculators. They dredge up and revel in any positive evidence that supports their expense, and in lieu of that option, they just dismiss negatives with subjective "well it's never bothered me" statements. They'll be excited whenever an article ignorantly promotes ebooks or ebook devices, and they'll be furious or dismissive whenever an article disagrees.

All that said, it can still be fun to push some buttons, and perhaps save the technocurious folks who are researching their options some money they'd otherwise waste on hype and BS.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:48 AM   #12
gigercounter
Banned
gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none yet
Quote:
Why dont you kindle flamers get the hell out of the nook room...your not wanted here! GO
gigercounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:25 AM   #13
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
The Poodle... is regarded as one of the most intelligent breeds of dog
-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poodle
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:54 AM   #14
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Oh, good grief. We've got I-hate-nook-guy and I-hate-e-ink-guy in the same thread, at the same time. I'm constantly amazed at the lengths some folks will go to justify their own prejudices.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:25 AM   #15
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
Oh, good grief. We've got I-hate-nook-guy and I-hate-e-ink-guy in the same thread, at the same time. I'm constantly amazed at the lengths some folks will go to justify their own prejudices.
Haven't said anything overtly about e-ink in this thread. I've said elsewhere that I almost like the Nook. I'm not gonna get one for now, but if some of its problems get ironed out in the coming months, I'll definitely consider getting one for a friend back in the USA who loves walking around Barnes and Noble almost as much as she loves pretending to use her MacBook in Starbucks.

I think it's refreshing to see some of the not-so-great commentary tempering the hysteria around a device. It's a kind of sedative that perhaps some of the Ellen and Oprah fans around the world could use a bit more of.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote