Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-07-2012, 03:06 AM   #46
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanna View Post
Do you have any shelves on your KT yet? When my daughters first got their Minis, I checked and the "add to shelf" option wasn't there in library view.
Ah ha! I THOUGHT I had created shelves but it looks like I was being dumb and missed the 'Create' button at the bottom of the screen and was just hitting the plusses and the top right X when I was done and it never clicked the shelves weren't created. So note to everyone else, be sure to click on CREATE or SAVE at the bottom. (was this in the tutorial I skipped because I've had the KT for over a year?) I guess MDK can use my experience as GUI study subject.

Anyway, I do now see 'Add to Shelf' *huzzah* but no 'Similar' -- my guess is that is because none of my books are kepubs and therefore expected behavior.

I'm guessing the 'd' in my serial number is because I used the desktop to DL the update vs wireless sync and its the same firmware.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:00 AM   #47
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
I'm in Aus and connected via wifi and no update for me as yet.
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:10 AM   #48
toeragamuffin
toeragamuffin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
I did manual update from one of the blighted and slow page turning earlier version 2 firmwares to 2.1.4 but after the installation the reader froze on the smiley face load screen for about an hour and would not turn off. i inserted a pin into the reset and holding down the home button got the system to factory restore. I then installed 2.1.4 again. This time it installed and turned on but the problem now is that after loading a book the reader will often restart instead of turn page. Please advise. I have had so many problems with this device from firmware 2 that i would not be able to recommend this machine to anyone until this nonsense is sorted.
toeragamuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:51 AM   #49
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
And one rather major non-improvement. On three Kobo Touch units, after the 2.1.4 update, when reading a sideloaded book from an SD card, if the KT goes to sleep, after waking up, it does not respond to taps and then restarts.
I can confirm the same thing happens on my Touch when reading sideloaded epubs on my SD card after the 2.1.4 firmware update.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:07 PM   #50
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by artifact View Post
I still can't sign-out without having to re-run setup settings so that original bug remains.
Glad you got the shelf thing sorted out. As I was reading the thread just now I was going to ask if you had any shelves created and see if that was why it wasn't showing up.

The sign-out function works as intended so it's not bugged. I have suggested before that they should change the name on it because you are not the first person that has encountered this behaviour and been confused. It's function near as I can tell it to rebuild the books database without having to do a full factory reset. For people on Kobo Touch this means they don't need a hardwire connection to reset their database (they can do that over Wifi rather a full factory reset requiring a computer for setup).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #51
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by artifact View Post
I'm guessing the 'd' in my serial number is because I used the desktop to DL the update vs wireless sync and its the same firmware.
That's the release number (actually, I think it's a build number), and it's embedded in the firmware file. It doesn't depend on how you updated, but which package you got updated with.

This may be the beginning of Kobo forking their firmware versions.

What country did you buy your Touch in?
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #52
kianryan
kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quick head's up. I updated my UK KT to 2.1.4, and ended up with a bricked Kobo on my hands. Just gone through the disco ball of rebirth (recovery reset) and restoring back to roughtly where I was, but I'll wait until 2.1.4 lands on my device now.
kianryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:45 AM   #53
magphil
Connoisseur
magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3, Kobo glow
I am still at firmware 2.0.0c and still cannot get a more recent firmware.

Bought it in France (fnac) but I am using a Kobo account.

Any idea when 2.1.4 will be available worldwide ?
magphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:31 AM   #54
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
That's the release number (actually, I think it's a build number), and it's embedded in the firmware file. It doesn't depend on how you updated, but which package you got updated with.

This may be the beginning of Kobo forking their firmware versions.

What country did you buy your Touch in?

Its direct from Kobo support in Toronto as a replacement for one that locked up but it was shipped to the USA so... your guess is as good as mine
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:11 AM   #55
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
11th October and getting very near to the end of the week stated for rollout, and still no 2.1.4 here, (UK).
Chocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:35 AM   #56
Jeff1192
Connoisseur
Jeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo touch
Nothing for me here in Canada either. Kobo really seems to be bungling this firmware roll-out. Not sure what's going on this time. It would be nice if they would just explain to us why there is a delay this time.
Jeff1192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:49 AM   #57
kianryan
kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1192 View Post
Kobo really seems to be bungling this firmware roll-out.
They don't appear to be bungling the firmware rollout. They're taking their time. They've already disclosed that they're releasing device specific firmwares, targeting regions and specific hardware revisions. At a guess, I would say this is because they're now dealing with per-device optimisation, rather than attempting to bundle a single firmware to run on all devices.

Yes, they'll have an internal roadmap. No, they're not disclosing it. They wont disclose it because if something happens to interrupt that roadmap, be it a technical glitch or something which sends them back to the drawing board, there will be pages of complaints that the 2.1.14 firmware is two hours late.

I'm with the devs on this one. 2.1.14 will be rolled out, it is being rolled out. It'll arrive in the next week or so, and initial reports are promising. Give the developers/product-managers some space.
kianryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:04 AM   #58
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kianryan View Post
They don't appear to be bungling the firmware rollout. They're taking their time. They've already disclosed that they're releasing device specific firmwares, targeting regions and specific hardware revisions. .
That was announced as happening going forward - not this current rollout.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #59
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
I think it's about time for Kobo to consider freezing the firmware on the original KT, except perhaps for critical updates. It's been out for 16 months now, and it's been through a dozen firmware updates. The first few added major improvements, but recently they've been fiddling pointlessly with the UI, creating as many new bugs as solving old bugs, adding more intrusive advertising, and adding support for newer models that doesn't matter to owners of older devices. For me the KT is perfectly usable as it is, and I'm sure it will remain one of my most-used and most-appreciated devices for some time to come. There are certainly problems remaining, but if the developers haven't managed to fix it by now, there's little likelihood they ever will.

Personally, I'll try 2.1.4 when it rolls out (since I'm currently stuck with the buggy 2.0.0 release), but I may end up going back to 1.9.17 if I don't like it. And that will be it for me.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #60
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocky View Post
11th October and getting very near to the end of the week stated for rollout, and still no 2.1.4 here, (UK).
I asked Kobo last weekend when they were rolling out the update for the UK.
They said probably Tuesday but could be later than that ?

Of course they didn't specify which Tuesday ?
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote