Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 09-22-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
samac
Connoisseur
samac doesn't littersamac doesn't litter

Device: EB03 iriver story
Where can I get a replacement screen?

Hi all.

I bought an EB02 and it was promptly broken by either my daughter or dog. I have dismantled it and I need to get hold of a screen. It is made by LG and is a "LB060S01-RD"

I have since got an EB03 as a replacement but I would like to fix the EB02 as a spare.

samac
samac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:03 AM   #2
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
If it's an LG, why not contact them and see if they can give you an agent in your country. Alternatively, I just goodled on LB060S01-RD and came up with a number of hits, one of the first being:

http://shunyongda.en.alibaba.com/

a supplier of photoelectric products in Hong Kong. I'm not recommending them - know nothing about them, but they have a picture of an LB060S01 on their home page.

Google might be your friend if LG won't help.

Sorry I can't be more help.

//James
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 12:24 PM   #3
samac
Connoisseur

Thanks, I have emailed shunyongda but no reply yet. A good idea about contacting LG, I will let you know how I get on.

samac
Old 09-28-2010, 09:03 AM   #4
samac
Connoisseur

No reply from Hong Kong, LG put me on to their spares department with a curt one line reply an their spares department were even less verbose and less helpful.

Don't you just love the amount of effort companies put into customer service these days.

samac
Old 09-29-2010, 09:02 AM   #5
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by samac View Post
No reply from Hong Kong, LG put me on to their spares department with a curt one line reply an their spares department were even less verbose and less helpful.
Wow, that's pretty dismal service on their part. Sorry to hear that, samac.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2010, 01:28 PM   #6
samac
Connoisseur

It gets worse iriver have advised me that they will carry out the repair for 120 euros and 18 euros return postage, a total of approximately £120 at the current exchange rate. So I reminded them that a Kindle cost £109.

samac
Old 09-29-2010, 01:41 PM   #7
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ouch!!

Mind you, I'm not too surprised, if only because I understand that the screen is the most expensive single component of any e.reader device.

I'm not dismissing what you're saying, but I think you'd be in a similar position with a Kindle, and at a similar cost - the purchase price of the Kindle is subsidised by Amazon as a loss leader to lock people into buying their books from the Kindle store. I would expect repair components for a Kindle wouldn't get the same kind of subsidy, so you'd be back to full costs for the replacement.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:55 PM   #8
samac
Connoisseur

Quote:
Mind you, I'm not too surprised, if only because I understand that the screen is the most expensive single component of any e.reader device.
True, but I expect that the screen is cheaper than they want you to think it is. For example a DS touch screen is quoted at around £40 but I usually pay about £3 or £4.

samac
Old 09-29-2010, 11:29 PM   #9
MacEachaidh
Browser

Huh, I had no idea the mark-up was so great.

(What is it you do, to be buying DS touch screens?)
Old 09-30-2010, 03:26 AM   #10
samac
Connoisseur

Quote:
(What is it you do, to be buying DS touch screens?)
Geek! and a very destructive autistic daughter (thank goodness for ebay).

They (iriver) have got back to me with a screen only price of 99 Euros plus shipping.

I guess that I will just wait until the price comes down before I repair the broken one.

samac
Old 09-30-2010, 10:19 AM   #11
MacEachaidh
Browser

Again: ouch. That's a bugger, samac. I'm sorry to hear that.

I'm having trouble understanding (generally, not just in this instance) why iRiver is so expensive. I'm really quite happy overall with the Story, but wow(!) it ain't cheap.

I have momentary pangs of jealousy over the lower cost and wider features and deeper userbase of the new Kindles ... until I remember that I deliberately chose not to buy into a proprietary format. I'm guessing you feel something similar?
Old 09-30-2010, 02:02 PM   #12
samac
Connoisseur

Quote:
I'm guessing you feel something similar?
As a dedicated Linux user for well over 10 years, you are correct. That, plus the fact that, I have a free up to 32gb mp3 player built in is a big bonus.

The fact that iriver use an open source base means that if they ever decide to discontinue support then I will be able to change the system on it fairly easily. This is also a bonus.

Closed systems tend to work and have good support, but if they decide to give up they leave their users in the lurch and you have no recourse.

Anyway, I always have a big supply of spare parts, and that may come in handy.

samac
Old 09-30-2010, 02:18 PM   #13
MacEachaidh
Browser

Quote:
Originally Posted by samac View Post
The fact that iriver use an open source base means that if they ever decide to discontinue support then I will be able to change the system on it fairly easily. This is also a bonus.
Ah, I wish I had your coding skills! I have no expertise in that realm at all - still fumbling around with CSS at a slow rate of advancement. If I could pull the OS apart and knew what I was doing, there are a couple of small changes I'd make pretty much immediately!

(Stuff like making menu lines wrap at word breaks and give a second line to book titles, or even just increasing the number of characters I can put in the device name at the top of the menu screen - it doesn't let me have even enough characters to spell my surname!)

[Edited to add:]
Does the Kindle not play mp3 files? I rather assumed it would, though I realise it doesn't support as many formats as iRiver and isn't expandable in terms of its memory.

Last edited by MacEachaidh; 09-30-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:41 PM   #14
samac
Connoisseur

Quote:
Does the Kindle not play mp3 files?
Yes it does but it cannot be expanded beyond its built in memory.

Those other issues are to do with the gui rather than the underlying OS and should be relatively easy to fix for someone who can program in the language that they have chosen to use for the user interface.

However the underlying OS is pretty easy to modify, all you have to do is modify /rc.elisa and unpack /zImage, modify it and repack it. They also use a mass of proprietary .feb files, but these could all be replaced by lightweight open source programs. The /rootfs.cramfs probably wouldn't need much of a change and neither should /u-boot.bin but the /flow_copy folder might be more difficult.

I haven't look inside these folders/files so it is difficult to give a complete answer as that would involve cracking the password and I don't do that.

samac
Old 10-27-2010, 01:23 PM   #15
samac
Connoisseur

Shunyongda came back to me with a price for a single screen $77.00 delivered to UK $21.00, remarkably similar to iriver customer support in Germany. :-(

samac