Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-14-2007, 03:30 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Did you see the Neal Stephenson special on Connect?

It's a pretty good price, too. I'm very tempted to buy these, but I still have 17 more books I just purchased. Argggghhhh!!!!

Has anyone read these and offer any comments on them.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 03:51 PM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Don't know about the quality of that particular bundle, but he is very famous, of course.

It also reminds me that you can search on the keyword "bundle" to see what bundles are available. There really ought to be a category of just bundles, because most people will never run across them unless they are a highlighted ad.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2007, 03:59 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Heh. On the Main ConnStore page, toward the bottom, there's list of a few highlighted bundles, and over to the right of that row, there's a link for "More Bundles" that'll take you to the full bundle list.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:05 PM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Aha! I missed that one.
Wait, I still don't see it. It must only show up if you go in through the Connect desktop software, rather than the ebooks.connect.com web site.

Back on topic, I'm curious too, to hear what people think of the Stephenson books and what they are like for those of us that aren't sure if we'd like them.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:14 PM   #5
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
What, the generous excerpt they offer for some of their ebooks isn't enough to guide you in your online purchasing decisions?

They really need to provide the entire first chapter, their stinginess is only hurting them.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2007, 04:23 PM   #6
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

I agree... first chapter or two for free should be the standard for any book that isn't expected to sell hugely based on reputation alone. Big name books might not do it because they only risk losing purchases. But less popular books need to create interest.

I usually know reasonably well if I'll like a book by the end of the first chapter or two, and I definitely a lot more likely to buy a book if I have the option of reading some of it to see if I want to read more. It's really frustrating to buy an e-book not read more than a few chapters. Not only is the book a waste to you, but because of DRM you can't even pass it on to your friends and cause them to waste their time!
Old 02-14-2007, 04:26 PM   #7
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
Aha! I missed that one.
Wait, I still don't see it. It must only show up if you go in through the Connect desktop software, rather than the ebooks.connect.com web site.

Back on topic, I'm curious too, to hear what people think of the Stephenson books and what they are like for those of us that aren't sure if we'd like them.
I've read "Snow Crash" from Neal Stephenson, good cyberpunk book, fun to read. It's much easier to read than most of the other cyberpunk authors actually... Didn't change my ideas about the world like some scifi books did (it did changed the life of the developpers behind Second Life though), but I really had a nice time reading it. I don't know what the whole bundle's worth though...

Oh and I just finished reading Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom which takes place in a future version of Disney World. Well they even have a "Snow Crash parade", in the future. Guess that Corey Doctorow really liked reading Neal Stephenson ;-)
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:29 PM   #8
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Due to some bug, the link to "more bundles" is not currently visible (at least in Opera), but it's there, just on the right below the three listed bundles. Here's the direct link:
http://ebooks.connect.com/specials/bundles.html
BTW, I own Baroque Cycle paperbacks and it was a very enjoyable read. It also has some connection to Cryptonomicon if you've read that I'm tempted to get it just to have it in electronic form.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:54 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
Aha! I missed that one.
My bad -- I left out the first step: you have to start by clicking on "specials" at the top. (chagrined).

I don't see the link in Firefox either (so it's not just Opera), but it is there in the ConnSoft.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 05:15 PM   #10
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
I haven't read a bad book from him yet.

I've read:
Snow Crash
Diamond Age
Cryptonomicon
Zodiac

I just re-purchased Diamond Age from CONNECT and enjoyed re-reading it. He makes me laugh, he makes me think, he makes me imagine the possibilities. He doesn't make me sit around constantly thinking how stupid or idiotic his ideas are.

Sci Fi is reportedly making Diamond Age into a mini-series.

I bought Quick Silver from fictionwise but it was another one of those "broken books" that has me sworn off them. I was never able to get a working version from them so I've never read it. I just bought the bundle from CONNECT. As soon as I get done with The Right to Arm Bears I'll be starting on it.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 06:50 PM   #11
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Neal Stephenson's early work is awesome. Snow Crash and Diamond Age are both excellent books that I've read over and over. His newer stuff like the Baroque cycle in my opinion, well... it sucks. I've tried to read Quicksilver on at least four separate occasions and I can never get past the first 200 pages. I have to believe there is a good book in there based on the strength of Snow Crash and Diamond Age, but I just can't get to it.

EDIT: You can find an excerpt of of Baroque book 1 - Quicksilver on his site: http://www.nealstephenson.com/conten...c1_excerpt.htm

Last edited by Leaping Gnome; 02-14-2007 at 06:52 PM.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 03:14 AM   #12
L1Wulf
Enthusiast
L1Wulf began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I wouldn't go so far as to say the Baroque Cycle sucks, but it is a completely different read from previous works. The closest to Baroque is Cryptonomicon. I have not finished the Baroque Cycle yet, but will likely pick up the bundle from Connect and start from the beginning. The writing is great, but certainly different from what I was expecting at the time (I had picked up the first book in hardcover in anticipation while still in the middle of another series, grabbed the second while still reading the first, but moved on before starting the second).

There is a lot of talk about the series on the Internet, I would suggest reading the reviews and excerpts (try Google Books ) to get a good idea of the storyline, etc. prior to purchase--the bundle just recently came out and so should be listed for at least a month (probably more from what I've observed), so time is on your side.

Last edited by L1Wulf; 02-15-2007 at 03:17 AM. Reason: linked Google Books search for "Baroque Cycle"
L1Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:49 AM   #13
FourOhFour
HTTP Error
FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I started but didn't like the Baroque Cycle. Cryptonomicon, Snow Crash, and Diamond Age are all very good.
FourOhFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:07 PM   #14
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I liked the Diamond Age a lot, though I thought the ending was weak. I just read Snow Crash recently. It was pretty good. I might have been more impressed if I'd read it when it was first published.

I started Cryptonomicon and didn't finish it. I don't remember why. Maybe I'll try it again.

If you like this sort of thing, William Gibson would be another obvious author to try.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:23 PM   #15
Vaporware
Not here yet.
Vaporware began at the beginning.

Device: ETI-2 Ebook Reader
Oh man and I was just looking to buy the baroque cycle, too. Thanks!
Vaporware is offline   Reply With Quote