Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 04-16-2010, 10:27 AM   #1
Spektakel
Spektakel began at the beginning.

Device: cybook
Words "falling off" the screen / sentences cut off (mobipocket)

Dear all,

When reading mobipocket e-books on my Cybook gen3 I frequently have the problem of words or half sentences running off the screen, instead of flowing to the next line. The books affected are largely unreadable because of this.

The problem mainly occurs with books that use tables in the layout. Enlarging the font increases the problem, making the font smaller sometimes makes it slightly better, but still not readable.

These are not homemade files, but expensive books bought from mobipocket.com. I don't know how to fix it, and if it can't be fixed, I want to know who to blame: Mobipocket or Bookeen.

Thanks for any input.
Spektakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:03 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Tables with fixed-width columns don't "wrap". If they don't fit onto the screen, that's too bad.

Nobody's "fault" - that's just the way it is. If you buy a book with tables, make sure that the screen is big enough to display them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2010, 06:08 PM   #3
T_Frain_K
Booyah!
T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Gen3 // Samsung Galaxy S
I´d say it´s the fault of the ebook vendor, in this case mobipocket.
Try and claim refund or replacement, you are fully entitled to do so.
T_Frain_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:18 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Frain_K View Post
I´d say it´s the fault of the ebook vendor, in this case mobipocket.
No, if you want to "blame" someone, it's the person who created the book. A table with fixed-width columns is precisely that - fixed width. Generally, it will have been created that way because the information cannot be sensibly displayed in any other manner.

Quote:
Try and claim refund or replacement, you are fully entitled to do so.
You can of course try, but do you really think that it's Mobipocket's "fault" that you are trying to read the book on a screen that's too small to display all the information?
Old 04-17-2010, 04:38 AM   #5
T_Frain_K
Booyah!
T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Gen3 // Samsung Galaxy S
Technically, you are right, but since MP did charge money for it, they should at least ensure he can actually use the book in the way it is intended - or,money back.
T_Frain_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2010, 04:43 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'm sure it's perfectly readable on, say, the Windows version of MobiReader. I understand what you're saying, but I'm afraid that I do stand by my view that the choice of a suitable reading device is the customer's responsibility, not the vendor's.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:26 PM   #7
Spektakel
Spektakel began at the beginning.

Device: cybook
Sorry for the late reply, I thought I would get e-mail notifications of new responses.

Thanks for your thoughts, however I do think Mobipocket should give some kind of a refund. Nowhere obvious does their site inform visitors some books can't be read well on most reading devices.

This is not just a problem with tables, but also with bullet point lists, quotes, etc. The books I read are not scientific non-fiction books or stuff where you could maybe expect big tables not readable on an average e-book reader. It happens in about 5% of my bought "normal" fiction books, where I have no way of knowing in advance if the book will contain quotes, lists, or anything else that might be unreadable.

If I can't be sure if I can read a book on my Cybook, which Mobipocket actively recommends for reading their e-books, then there is no point in buying them.
Spektakel is offline   Reply With Quote