Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-02-2013, 10:50 PM   #1
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Recommend audiobooks with great narrators?

Hi all,

I'd love to hear recs for audiobooks with terrific narrators. I first started to listen to audiobooks because James Marsters was narrating the Dresden books, but those books aren't necessarily completely my thing (close, though). I tried the Magic or Madness series, but having a USAn voice doing Aussie characters set my teeth on edge for some reason. Have listened to a few others which have been mostly just ok. So I'm looking for recs not just of the books, but of the narrators also.

I read relatively eclectically with a bias toward the speculative: fantasy, SF, YA, magical realism, with some mainstream lit, crime, thriller, historical, and romance. I'm not keen on terribly blokey stuff, though, I'd rather have some competent female characters involved somewhere along the line.

Thanks!
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
The Passage by Justin Cronin might fit the bill. Scott Brick is an absolutely fabulous narrator.

Also I would highly recommend The Snowman by Jo Nesbo, read by Robin Sachs. That is one thrilling, creepy read, and Robin Sachs is awesome. The Snowman is one of several books in the Crime/Mystery/Thriller series featuring Oslo detective Harry Hole. Nesbo is such a good writer though , that the books transcend genre. They are all awesome but the Snowman is the best I've read so far. It is the only one I've enjoyed in audio format but they are all narrated by Robin Sachs, I believe.

Lastly I'd recommend 11/22/63 by Stephen King. I wasn't sure about the narrator at first but I ended up really enjoying him, and the book itself is terrific.

OK only two more I promise. In the Woods by Tana French is read by an Irish narrator that is terrific, as is the book. Another great Irish book, read by a full cast of Irish voice actors, is Skippy Dies by Paul Murray. Great audiobook.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #3
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
I would recommend something read by Katherine Kellgren who I think is a really great narrator. If you like SF, maybe Blackout/All Clear by Connie Willis (which is in fact one big book, not two) or Among Others by Jo Walton. She does the latter one with a Welsh accent which perfectly fits the story.

One of my favorite male narrators is Jonathan Davis. I really loved his narration of Robert J. Sawyer's Neanderthal Parallax trilogy (Hominids, Humans & Hybrids).

All those have great female characters (in my opinion).

The audiobooks of the Hunger Games are really good, too. They are read by Carolyn McCormick.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Will Patton reading James Lee Burke's Robicheaux series. Patton puts you right in the bayou.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Jeff Woodman reading the John Ceepak mysteries by Chris Grabenstein.

Susan Ericksen reading the JD Robb In Death mysteries.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The entire Liaden series is well done by all of the various narrators IMO.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
There is a lengthy thread on Goodreads in the Audiobooks group on the topic of favorite narrators, if anyone wants to plow through it. I've found a few favorites from going through it.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...rite-narrators
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #8
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I buy The Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency audiobooks just so I can listen to Lisette Lecat roll her Rs. Her voice is sooooothing and matches perfectly with the material and setting of the books.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:44 PM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, everyone! Blackout/All Clear, 11/22/63, and The Passage are all on my TBR already, so they might be a great place to start.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #10
dengar
Connoisseur
dengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with others

Device: PW2, K3, Ipad 4, Kindle Fire
Wheel of Time by Michael Kramer and Kate Reading. It doesnt get any better than this when it comes to narrating.
dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:31 PM   #11
Julian Saheed
Julian Saheed began at the beginning.

Device: Asus TF300T
Regardless of how many times you have read them, Harry potter by Stephen Fry is a must!
Julian Saheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:52 AM   #12
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

I have the Fry Harry Potters - they're brilliant! And have been my son's bedtime audiobooks for some years, only recently to be replaced by The Hobbit movie soundtrack.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #13
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
John Lee is excellent. I'm listening to Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton right now. Very long and very excellent. He has done a lot of fantasy/ science fiction such as The Terror, Cloud Atlas, and some of Alastair Reynolds's books too I think.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:04 PM   #14
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
I have listened to Chasm City by Alastair Reynolds a couple of months ago and it took me some time to get used to John Lee's voice. In the end, I decided that he is good, but will never figure among my favorite narrators.

As for the Harry Potter books read by Stephen Fry, I have listened to them countless times and still can't get enough of them. Fry is still at the top of my list of favorite narrators, I think he is just awesome.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:27 AM   #15
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I'm currently listening to Simon Prebble's narration of Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell and it's quite superb.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote