Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
Paul Arnold
Paul Arnold began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wireless
Kobo & Gutenberg Project

What is the most direct way to download books from Gutenberg Project onto my Kobo Wireless (using my USB cable)?

I was able to do this simply and directly when I owned a Sony eReader. I switched to Kobo because of the high price of a new Sony with a better screen than my old one. I think maybe I made a mistake switching to Kobo because most of my reading material comes from Gutenberg.
Paul Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
As long as you are connecting it to your computer via USB, just download the file to your desktop then drag and drop the e-pub file onto the Kobo. In theory you should be able to use "Save As" onto the wifi since it would be mounted as a drive, but I can't say I've tried that. You can't directly download onto the Kobo Wifi through the wifi (may be possible with Calibre, but the easiest is drag and drop).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
GvilleBridge
Connoisseur
GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Tablet
Quick answer: Calibre

I've been using Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/) for ebook/library management since my Kobo WiFi in 12/10 and Kobo Touch in 7/11 and can't imagine organizing my ebooks any other way. Definitely superior to Kobo desktop app, Adobe Digital Editions, etc.

With Calibre up and running, plug your Kobo into the USB port and wait for Calibre to show your library. Import ePubs, PDFs, Mobis, etc. via Add Books (the most onerous operation is navigating to wherever you downloaded ebooks). Clean up the metadata a bit. Then highlight and click on the Send to Device icon (you can select main memory, card A, etc.). Under the same icon, Eject Device, wait for the Kobo to process these "sideloads" (ie, they didn't come via Kobobooks.com or ADE). And Bob's your uncle.
GvilleBridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:18 PM   #4
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Drag and drop should work. I don't think it should be any different than Sony.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:34 PM   #5
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Although I'm now using Calibre to load the ebooks on my Kobo ereader, I loaded the first few via drag-and-drop (actually copy-and-paste) and had no problem doing it. Connected my ereader, it shows up as a drive, copied the ebooks on to it, and then ejected my ereader.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2012, 08:09 AM   #6
voom
Just me :)
voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
Since I have a hosted webspace anyway, I created an optimized "Dropbox" for my Kobo on it like this: In Windows 7 I mounted a new directory (with a hard to guess name) to show as a folder inside Windows Explorer (and added this folder to the favorites). In that folder I have a modified php-script that shows large buttons (75x75px) with filetype-icons and a smaller text with the filename beneath. This size allows for having some overview in Kobos Browser as well as nice big buttons for touch. I also added some more security by having to login to that page for i would not want that private page to accidentally show up in any search engines... On the Kobo I created a link with the password as a parameter (this could be just a favorite, I set it as my browser-homepage), but of course logging in manually every time would word, too.

So now whatever I download or create to be read on the Kobo I just save in that directory (I also use a Chrome plugin to save articles from the web as readability-cleaned up epub) and I can access it later on the Kobo without having to plug it in first or even have it nearby.... Since I use a mobile 3G-router when on the move, I can access that folder from virtually anywhere...

I know I could use Dropbox or Gutenberg directly, but this is more versatile and uses less clicks on big buttons instead of small textlinks...

Of course an integration of Gutenberg and other sites as seen in various Android-eBook-Apps would be nice to have, too...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	koboweb.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	81502  
voom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
Matth79
Zealot
Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Touch handles m.gutenberg.org quite well, but I wouldn't want to have to spell things out on the d-pad virtual keyboard of the Wifi... up a bit, left a bit, like the golden shot (and no Bernie the bolt to help!)
Matth79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #8
b_budhuu88
b_budhuu88 began at the beginning.

I just got myself a Kobo Touch and tried downloading The count of Monte Cristo (ePUB) from the Gutenberg.com and it works flawlessly so for. Love the reader.
b_budhuu88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #9
Wordsworth
Wordsworth began at the beginning.

Device: Ipaq rx1950 Pocket PC, Kobo Reader (wifi), Kobo Mini.
I have a Kobo WiFi and to transfer books to it I plug in the usb cable and select manage library on Kobo, open the mass storage device on pc and copy and paste. All books that I buy from the Kobo shop are stored in device memory. The 2gb sd card holds calibre converted stuff from Gutenberg. I like to do my own conversions from txt to epub.
Wordsworth is offline   Reply With Quote