Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-30-2014, 08:30 PM   #76
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Hi folks, dipping my toe in to this thread.

I'm a programmer (C, *nix systems) and electronics engineer and I need to get an eInk display setup for my Linux system so my wife can get back to doing what she loves ... writing books ( vision issues mean that using normal PC screens is problematic due to the light emissions ).

Was looking at various 9"+, though preferrably 13"+ eInk display options.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:37 PM   #77
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
Hi folks, dipping my toe in to this thread.

I'm a programmer (C, *nix systems) and electronics engineer and I need to get an eInk display setup for my Linux system so my wife can get back to doing what she loves ... writing books ( vision issues mean that using normal PC screens is problematic due to the light emissions ).

Was looking at various 9"+, though preferrably 13"+ eInk display options.
This thread has been here for awhile now -
But I did just skim through it again . . . .

Most of the users posting here seemed mostly interested in "motion" display -
Not a major concern with word processing (other than a 'slow' mouse response).

The DX and DXG model Kindles have screens at the low end of your desired range -
But I didn't notice any that tried it on either of those devices (I may have missed it).

I do not write 'books' - but I do write a lot of things (other than these 6,000 posts - yeah, I do have a life) . . . .
When I write, I like to have a lot of screen real estate - so I can see at least a few paragraphs of context before the current position.

I don't know what your wife's preferences are in this area, but for me, a 9" DX/DXG screen would not be enough "context area" for my liking.
(On the other hand, I have heard of people who write novels on 3x5 index cards. This is a hard to define "personal preference" area.)

Even the used DX / DXG devices are still among the most expensive Kindle e-ink devices.
These devices have a low (compared to newer models) processor power.
**AND** no wifi on these devices.

There are such things as electric (well, electronic) typewriters that have most of the features of a word processor along with a line (or a few lines) of display "preview".

This would leave the "context area" actually printed with ink on bright white paper - -
Perhaps one could be found that uses an e-ink display as the "preview" panel.
**OR** maybe you could cobble together a combination of a Kindle (for the preview) and the word processing typewriter.

There are (or where) e-book readers that used two (2) 9" screens -
Not Kindles, some other manufacturer.
That might give enough "context area" for word processing.

- - - -

I don't think Geekmaster has ever had a chance to finish his 8x8 (64 Kindle) "e-ink wall".

But using more than one might have possibilities.

Last edited by knc1; 04-30-2014 at 09:40 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2014, 10:01 PM   #78
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

knc1, thanks for the executive summary

The DX is a bit small on area, and I agree, having as much realestate as possible is preferred. I've been eyeballing the latest 13.3" Mobius eInk display, which is the one that the new SONY device uses, however thus far I cannot locate any controller board. Closest I've found is one that was put up for an Indiegogo project by RockTheInk.

Refresh, as you've stated isn't a huge concern, 2~4fps is more than ample.

I've looked at larger mroe traditional displays and the best I've located is a
10.2" soon-to-arrive unit http://www.pervasivedisplays.com/kits/pdi-demo-kit#tab2 - but as yet no word back from them about pricing or availability.

Another option I was considering was modifying existing LCD panels to improve on the backlights, though that's really a more desperate pitch, and I see companies like BenQ are offering Low Blue light, No Flicker displays for only $599 in 27" size with 2560x resolution.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:42 PM   #79
wildcolor
Enthusiast
wildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: kindle 4nt
Please do let me know if get one working. I may persuade my boss to buy a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusW View Post
I am an entrepreneur that is currently developing a dedicated e-ink external monitor that is easy to use and dedicated to being the best possible monitor solution (not an e-reader). I am reaching out to people who seem interested in a product like this.

I would love to hear your thoughts on how you personally would like such a product to work. At this point in my development your input could become real-world features. Hit me with comment and we could have a talk!

Best,
- Magnus

PS: I'm posting on a couple of threads like this, sorry if some of you might see this message other places as well.
wildcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:12 AM   #80
MagnusW
MagnusW began at the beginning.

Device: none
Some stats

Hi guys,

Thanks for sharing a little more info!

To add some stats to the equation, the biggest commercially available e-ink screen is the 13.3" @ 1600x1200. The refresh rate is about 10 fps for black/white and 2-4 fps for greyscale.

A screen unit would most likely cost between $500-$700 depending on specs. The main cost driver is the screen itself which is very expensive (the cost does not scale 1:1 with size).

Any thoughts on this?

- Magnus
MagnusW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2014, 09:25 PM   #81
PoisonWolf
Enthusiast
PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Hi guys,

I just discovered this nifty little python code and I must say that I am thoroughly impressed!

With that said, I'm realizing that the 800x600 resolution of my Nook Simple Touch is rather limiting. I was wondering if it's possible to have two instances of the script running for DIFFERENT sectors of the screen?

Would python be able to keep up with the constant refreshing and uploading of the images?
PoisonWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:52 PM   #82
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek

I've considered a 2 or 4 segment unit ( 1200x800, or 1600x1200 ) but the panels still have a significant physical non-active edge on them.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:29 AM   #83
PoisonWolf
Enthusiast
PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Quote:
I've considered a 2 or 4 segment unit ( 1200x800, or 1600x1200 ) but the panels still have a significant physical non-active edge on them.
Ah. But have you ever tried it? I'm just really curious to know if it indeed functional that way. The borders themselves don't really bother me.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:42 AM   #84
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonWolf View Post
Ah. But have you ever tried it? I'm just really curious to know if it indeed functional that way. The borders themselves don't really bother me.
Haven't tried it myself, no. I imagine though that a bit of hackery of the VNC server software source code might yield desirable results ( biggest bottleneck might be the USB or wifi link ).

... just need to get a few displays now ( though in honesty, I'm trying to see if the SONY 13.3" will do the trick... and I've also contacted another place that might be offering a 9.7" kit.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:48 AM   #85
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Haven't tried it myself, no. I imagine though that a bit of hackery of the VNC server software source code might yield desirable results ( biggest bottleneck might be the USB or wifi link ).
- - - -
Server software source code should not need diddling -
Let it send the entire screen dimensions.

X11 can split the stream into multiple panels (it has a "wall" function).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:37 PM   #86
PoisonWolf
Enthusiast

After much difficulty in tracking down a second Nook, I was finally able to get it going with this simple script provided in the OP!

Hurray!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140520_172901.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	321.0 KB
ID:	123179   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140520_172527.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	360.9 KB
ID:	123180  
Old 08-12-2014, 02:03 AM   #87
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek

Any new news around here?

I'm chasing up various developers to see if anyone is offering a 13.3" driver board
Old 04-16-2015, 06:26 PM   #88
codehimn
codehimn is on a distinguished road

Device: pw2
webserver_v6.py

#Version 6 modified by Codehimn for PapweWhitte (17-04-2015)
#Updated to = Python 3.4
#Tested on Windows 8.1 x64, Python 3.4, wxPython_Phoenix-3.0.3
Attached Files
File Type: rar webserver_v6.rar (2.4 KB, 334 views)
codehimn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:11 AM   #89
phoenix512
Enthusiast
phoenix512 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by codehimn View Post
#Version 6 modified by Codehimn for PapweWhitte (17-04-2015)
#Updated to = Python 3.4
#Tested on Windows 8.1 x64, Python 3.4, wxPython_Phoenix-3.0.3
I tried to use the trick with Python 3.6, but it produces errors. Do you think your version work with the latest version of Python?
phoenix512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:39 AM   #90
phoenix512
Enthusiast
phoenix512 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle PW2
I used python 2.7 and it works. however, the kindle doesn't get refreshed automatically! it's an still image. i have to refresh the page manually and takes time.
That is how this tool works!?
phoenix512 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
display, emonitor, kindle, screen