Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: November 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
Old Man's War by John Scalzi 26 29.21%
The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi 10 11.24%
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy By Douglas Adams 25 28.09%
City At World's End by Edmond Hamilton 2 2.25%
Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke 2 2.25%
A Fire Upon The Deep by Vernor Vinge 5 5.62%
The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell 3 3.37%
The Man in the High Castle by Philp K. Dick 7 7.87%
A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller, Jr. 6 6.74%
Time's Eye by Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter 3 3.37%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-05-2010, 07:30 PM   #91
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Or maybe you shouldn't read the thread until you've at least read some of it. I'm only 35 pages in, so I haven't really started it either, that was just an up-front observation.

I'm sure you'll have another voice for the character other than Nimoy, so I wouldn't even worry about it.

This thread was going to have NON-SPOILER comments.....that wasn't a spoiler so I don't see why that comment should lock the thread.
This is not the discussion thread, it's the voting thread, so I should be able to read it. It has been asked previously not to discuss the book in this thread.

As for Nimoy not being in my head, it's like trying to un-ring a bell or not notice a pink elephant in the room. It's in my head and will be with me when I do start to read the book. You may not be giving story spoilers but you are coloring my view of the book before I start.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:52 AM   #92
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
I agree with daffy, even though this is my first time taking part in the Monthly Book Club I appreciate nobody expressing anything about the book...that should be for the fun of the discussion when we can all respond and what not. Plus the fun of a book, movie or whatever is always the discovery along the way.

It's a good rule for the club readings and really only good form to not say anything, well except maybe to brag about being done or stress over not having started...hehehehe.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2010, 03:14 PM   #93
voodooblues
Connoisseur
voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.

Device: iPad(3 or HD or whatever), iPad Mini, Kindle 7" hdx, Samsung 7 tab 3
Finished the book. Now looking to start the next in the series soon.
voodooblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:57 PM   #94
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
As for Nimoy not being in my head, it's like trying to un-ring a bell or not notice a pink elephant in the room.
Would it help at all if I said nobody I've encountered in the book thus far reminds me of Nimoy in the slightest? I've even seen more than most people have of non-Spock Nimoy, and I don't see the resemblence.
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:07 PM   #95
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziegl027 View Post
Would it help at all if I said nobody I've encountered in the book thus far reminds me of Nimoy in the slightest? I've even seen more than most people have of non-Spock Nimoy, and I don't see the resemblence.
(no )
Advert
Old 11-07-2010, 10:20 PM   #96
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Done....and done! Great read! Got the next in the series already....just waiting a bit to read it, I don't want to get this and the next mixed up for the discussion.

As for the Nimoy thing...it goes away...for me it did. I wouldn't worry about it. But it was Non-Star Trek Nimoy, not Spock that I had in my head.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:59 AM   #97
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
SPOCK MUST DIE!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:31 PM   #98
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
SPOCK MUST DIE!
But which one?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:39 PM   #99
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The EVIL spock!

Old 11-08-2010, 01:09 PM   #100
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Actually, I have a different picture in my head then Nimoy. I'll tell who I think it would be when we get to the discussion. I don't want to influence anyone's reading (just their voting).
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:16 PM   #101
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

"Mirror Mirror" Spock (my fav ST episode) is sexy!
Old 11-08-2010, 01:19 PM   #102
kennyc

City at the Edge of Forever is my favorite.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:36 PM   #103
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Trouble With Tribbles LOL, or any Harry Mudd episode.....then City on the Edge of Forever....they were all good LOL.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:03 PM   #104
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
The EVIL spock!
Did you actually read _Spock Must Die_?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:09 PM   #105
kennyc

No. Never read a Star Trek book/story in my life.