Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-15-2010, 07:34 PM   #1
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Change some text size during ebook development?

I'm posting this here, because I use Sigil as my main ebook editor and not because I'm having a problem with Sigil or because I think Sigil should necessarily be able to help me with this. I'm just a newbie to ebook creating/editing and am hoping someone here might be able to steer me in the right direction.

OK, now that I've started trying convert ebooks from one format to another and create my own; I'm starting to regret never learning html/xhtml. I don't think it'll take me long to get up to speed on the aspects that I'll need to format an ebook but right now I'm having trouble with text sizes.

Right now, I'm developing mainly for personal use on my Kindle and, since it doesn't really support anything more than its native font, I'm not worried about embedding fonts or anything too complex. I do most of my development in Sigil using plain-Jane text and then use Calibre to convert to mobi. I do often-times want to change the text size though and I really don't see any way to do that other than applying a heading, which causes it to be thrown into the TOC.

Along the same lines, I have some text on a section divider page that looks perfect at Heading 3 size, but this causes Sigil to think it's lower on the TOC tree than the main level, where I want it.

I realize messing with heading tags isn't a substitute for actually changing the text size but I'm not sure how to go about doing it the "right" way. I'd like to have non-fixed text so that it's scalable on an ereader. I just want to be able to change some text to make it larger or smaller in relation to the default size of the bulk of my text, regardless of how it may be scaled on an ereader. I'd love to not mess with the heading options at all and just change the text size but I don't see that as a menu option in Sigil. I'm assuming there's bound to be a way to do what I want in html but, like I mentioned, I'm just getting started there and am clueless right now.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction? I'm sure there are lots of great html sites on the web that will teach me far more than I'll ever need but there is so much that will never be used in ebook development that it just muddies the waters for me and becomes overwhelming. Are there any html reference sites geared towards ebook development?

Thanks guys.

- Byron Followell
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:37 PM   #2
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Don't bother too much about html, just look for a basic tutorial on css, it's extremely simple. Here's one.

You'll want to use font-size: 150%; (or something like that) in your class and it will scale as the font size is increased.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 09:00 PM   #3
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
Don't bother too much about html, just look for a basic tutorial on css, it's extremely simple. Here's one.

You'll want to use font-size: 150%; (or something like that) in your class and it will scale as the font size is increased.
charleski,

Thank you very, very much for your help. This is exactly what I needed!

I've already found the font properties. font-size and font-weight look to be exactly what the doctor ordered. Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote