Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-16-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Why don't ebook reader covers work?

I hate waste.

I was looking for a really nice cover for a new Kindle Paperwhite. I found beautiful ones that were not so cheap and cheap ones that were not so nice but they all had one flaw--they didn't accomplish the purpose they were intended for.

A book cover is supposed to cover the book! I can't be the only one who noticed that. It's in the actual name of the product. But even in the images meant to sell them most wouldn't stay shut without wrapping a strap around them. The beautiful ones were not so pretty tied up like that and the cheap ones looked extra cheap.

Why? Book covers are a two century old technology! At least! You have to put a spine on it to get the cover to close and stay shut! What's the hangup?
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:00 PM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Yes, what IS your hangup? I have Ebook covers on all my readers and they work just fine.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2012, 11:06 PM   #3
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Yes, what IS your hangup? I have Ebook covers on all my readers and they work just fine.
All of the ones I have without a spine flop open when I put them down. The type with a clasp avoids the ugly strap problem but then you have that darned clasp in the way when you try to fold the cover back and hold it one handed. No, it still doesn't work. Not the way a hardback book cover works.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:11 PM   #4
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Meh.... as I said mine work fine I have a sony 505 with the sony cover, a Kindle K2 with an amazon cover .... all is good for holding, folding reading.... YM (of course apparently) MV.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:17 PM   #5
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
I have an Oberon Design cover for my K3 and it works fine.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2012, 11:29 PM   #6
6charlong
friendly lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
I have an Oberon Design cover for my K3 and it works fine.
Okay, the Oberons stay closed after you get them properly broken in but they use a heavy front cover and you still have that metal clasp on the front and a rubberband thingey hanging off the back.

I admit that some covers work. I have several Oberons and except for the weight they are beautiful and they protect. I'm just ranting about the many covers that will not stay closed when the problem could easily be fixed.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:26 AM   #7
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post

I admit that some covers work. I have several Oberons and except for the weight they are beautiful and they protect. I'm just ranting about the many covers that will not stay closed when the problem could easily be fixed.
My Sony 350 cover is magnetized and stays closed just fine, no strap required.

My Sony T1 cover is not magnetized, but also does a decent job of staying closed under normal use, or at least as much as a paper book would. Neither would necessarily stay closed if dropped.

For my original Nook, I had a magnetized cover by JavoEdge that worked well, later replaced by an Oberon cover. The clasp on the Oberon was not a problem, at least not for me.

At any rate, there are tons of cover options to pick from, some with closure options, some without.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:36 AM   #8
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
I have been using this cover for my k3 for almost 2 years now. The magnetic clasp is strong and keeps the cover closed. Also when the cover is open the clasp works in the open position by flexing it backwards. Because I prefer reading in landscape mode, it is perfect. I slip my hand between the covers that are held in place by the strap and read.

This is a k3 cover but I would expect if they or someone else makes one like this one for the paper white it should work the same.

Edit: The strap is the built in magnetic one and not the rubber band shown in the link.

http://www.amazon.com/CrazyOnDigital.../dp/B00428C1I0

Last edited by DustyDisks; 09-17-2012 at 02:41 AM.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:43 AM   #9
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
All of the ones I have without a spine flop open when I put them down. The type with a clasp avoids the ugly strap problem but then you have that darned clasp in the way when you try to fold the cover back and hold it one handed. No, it still doesn't work. Not the way a hardback book cover works.
I find the little flappy clasp on mine useful for holding it with.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:18 AM   #10
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
This should read "ereader covers" and not "ebook covers." I was expecting a criticism of cover art in ebooks not a complaint about the obviously rich market of ereader covers.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:25 AM   #11
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
This should read "ereader covers" and not "ebook covers." I was expecting a criticism of cover art in ebooks not a complaint about the obviously rich market of ereader covers.

That was my first take on this as well...
Old 09-17-2012, 07:26 AM   #12
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I too, thought it was about when you buy a book (usually DRM'ed) and it downloads without the cover it had in the shopping cart, just the checkerboard "inner jacket" and plain text title... had LOTS of those.

However, this thread did send me looking at a lot of pretty fancy covers. too expensive to buy for me, but pretty to look at in the pictures
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:35 AM   #13
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I too, thought it was about when you buy a book (usually DRM'ed) and it downloads without the cover it had in the shopping cart, just the checkerboard "inner jacket" and plain text title... had LOTS of those.

However, this thread did send me looking at a lot of pretty fancy covers. too expensive to buy for me, but pretty to look at in the pictures
Old 09-17-2012, 10:31 AM   #14
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post
I have been using this cover for my k3 for almost 2 years now. The magnetic clasp is strong and keeps the cover closed. Also when the cover is open the clasp works in the open position by flexing it backwards. Because I prefer reading in landscape mode, it is perfect. I slip my hand between the covers that are held in place by the strap and read.

This is a k3 cover but I would expect if they or someone else makes one like this one for the paper white it should work the same.

Edit: The strap is the built in magnetic one and not the rubber band shown in the link.

http://www.amazon.com/CrazyOnDigital.../dp/B00428C1I0
I have one for the Sony T1 that works the same way.
The locked strap creates a sleeve I can slip my fingers through for dual column landscape reading with Coolreader. The thumb ends up right above the paging buttons.
That is one cover that works for me.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #15
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
I have 2 Skindigital covers that are magnetized and I love them
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote