Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 12-02-2011, 09:36 PM   #46
zarook
zarook began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I am trying to get the APNX files to match the file names of my ebooks as saved in the Calibre library and I can't do it. Can someone give me a quick guide as to how to match up these filenames from a default version of Calibre?
zarook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:34 PM   #47
saxondawg
Connoisseur
saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: kindle paperwhite
Edit: A bit more forum searching helped me answer my question: Kindle Fire doesn't currently support page numbers. Surely it will in time, and presumably in the same manner. BUT it's kind of a shame products are rushed out now, knowing they can "fix" obvious things like this later on. In my opinion, the fixes should be newly created improvements and bugs that have cropped up--not existing features that should have already been included before release. Oh, well.

<Please forgive me if this question has been covered--I haven't found it--but will the apnx generator eventually work with Kindle Fire? I have side-loaded my books through Calibre, and the page numbers work on the old K3 but not on the Fire. Is it is Fire issue that can't be fixed for the time being--or can the plugin be updated to make it work? Thanks so much for your expertise in advance.>

Last edited by saxondawg; 12-13-2011 at 11:40 PM.
saxondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #48
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
Making sure .apnx filename correct

Does the apnx filename have to exactly match the the ebook title on the Kindle? I occasionally use the plugin to append series info to my title. I am concerned that this might cause the filename and title to not match. Particularly with the apnx plugin since the series plugin would not be run 1st.
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:17 AM   #49
robcohen
Enthusiast
robcohen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle and Kindle Touch
A little confused here. I installed the plug-in and selected some books and chose 'Generate from selected book' - then got a dialog asking where to save the .apnx file(s). This is puzzling to me because I expected the output to automatically be placed in the directory within my Calibre Library that contains the book and meta-data. Surely I don't have to generate the .apnx files one at a time and navigate to the book's directory to show the plug-in where to leave the output?

Plug-in seems like a good idea but I'm confused about how to use it.

Thanks,
Rob
robcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:28 AM   #50
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
If you are using calibre's "Send to device" functionality (which as you have Kindles you should be) then you *don't need* this plugin. The same functionality is built into calibre (unless you have disabled it on the Kindle plugin). See Preferences -> Plugins -> Device Interface plugins -> Kindle 2/3/4/Touch Device Interface -> Customise.

This plugin is only intended for users who are doing the "Save to Disk" approach to exporting books (presumably running Kindle reader software). And in that situation the apnx file is *not* automatically generated by calibre, so they would use this plugin to supplement the output with the apnx files.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:00 AM   #51
robcohen
Enthusiast
robcohen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle and Kindle Touch
Kiwidude,
That's a good clarification. In my case I do have a Kindle Touch and also keep a few books on my Xoom tablet and Android phone. I either copy them directly using the USB cable or use the Calibre Library app to browse and copy for the moments when I don't have the Kindle handy. I use the Kindle Reader app on the phone and tablet when I read there.

Just checked and I have not made any changes to the Kindle 2/3/4/Touch Device Interface plug-in.

So if I copy (.mobi) files directly to a device like my phone via USB etc. are the page counts included in the .mobi file? I usually convert everything to .mobi, even my Amazon purchases but I have a significant library of other .mobi books as well. Any difference between a file copy and using the Calibre Library app to browse/download books? I ask because I'm much more likely to just copy the files to the phone's kindle directory rather than messing with browsing the library from the phone. Typically from time to time I'll check what books I have on the Kindle Touch and make sure to get the same ones on my phone and tablet. Location numbers vs. page numbers still make me a little crazy and it would be so nice to just have page numbers for everything I own. For those days when furthest read page doesn't sync it's much easier to recall I was on page two hundred something than location 87321

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
If you are using calibre's "Send to device" functionality (which as you have Kindles you should be) then you *don't need* this plugin. The same functionality is built into calibre (unless you have disabled it on the Kindle plugin). See Preferences -> Plugins -> Device Interface plugins -> Kindle 2/3/4/Touch Device Interface -> Customise.

This plugin is only intended for users who are doing the "Save to Disk" approach to exporting books (presumably running Kindle reader software). And in that situation the apnx file is *not* automatically generated by calibre, so they would use this plugin to supplement the output with the apnx files.
robcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:13 AM   #52
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Page counts are *not* included in the mobi file. They are in the separate .apnx file which calibre and this plugin generates. So that has to go with the mobi file to the device.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Does this work with AZW3?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:29 AM   #54
kiwidude

This is user_none's plugin, though I think with his hands full with Sigil he doesn't really maintain it any more. A quick look at the code revealed that azw3 isn't one of the format that it lists as supporting. This plugin should also be updated to support pulling the page count from a custom column, like was done with the Kindle plugin inside calibre itself.

There was a user months ago who posted in the development forum offering to take over the maintenance, but nothing ever came of it?
Old 06-02-2012, 05:48 AM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Looks like this is pretty much dead then for AZW3. Oh well.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:22 AM   #56
kiwidude

Well, until someone takes over the maintenance of it, yes. I haven't volunteered because with 25+ other plugins I'm not exactly desperate for more ways to spend my time with calibre, but also because someone else had specifically said they wanted to do it. If they have changed their mind and user_none wants me to do so I will take it on as the changes are pretty trivial.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Actually, I've found there's no need for this plugin. Calibre does the page numbers when you send to the Kindle. And also you can specify the number of pages so you get to match the print edition's total number of pages.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:43 AM   #58
kiwidude

@JSWolf - yes, see my post #50 above. This plugin is only of interest to people who are using save to disk instead of send to device.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@JSWolf - yes, see my post #50 above. This plugin is only of interest to people who are using save to disk instead of send to device.
Must have missed that. But at least I know what I am doing now.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #60
SASSBS
Connoisseur
SASSBS doesn't litterSASSBS doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard; Kindle Fire
Sorry to ask, I get that calibre generates the apnx file if I use send to device and not save to disk, but if you send to kindle email is there a way to get the apnx file generated as well?

Thanks
SASSBS is offline   Reply With Quote