Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 06-13-2008, 03:45 PM   #1
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quoting quotes

OK -- I'm frustrated.

This forum is so much like another forum I frequent at bookobsessed.com -- they even use exactly the same markup and most of the smileys use the same codes.

But I am frustrated no end with the way quotes work. Over at BO, If I quote a post that already has a quote in it, the editor brings both in and I wind up with nested quotes like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsi
Something I said
And Nick's response to it
Here, if I quote a post that has a quote in it, I only get the text from that post and not the original quote. So I have to go back up to the original, click on "multiquote", scroll back to the post I really wanted to quote, click on quote, cut & paste things to put one inside the other, etc.

Why is this system configured to not include already quoted text when quoting a post? Or is there a User setting that I can choose that will make it behave the way I'm expecting it to?
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:50 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I would like to know how to do multiple quotes.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:50 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i would like automatic nested quotes as well... if it's possible.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:52 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Yes, I noticed the quote system here automatically eliminates other quoted messages. Sometimes you want that... sometimes you don't. I assume it is a setting in the software somewhere.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 04:17 PM   #5
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
I vote for that as well. It would be really nice to have the option for doing that.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:52 PM   #6
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
The moderators decided against allowing automatic nested quotes because a lot of lazy people post extended quotations, then just add a sentence (or less) at the bottom. This gets very tedious.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:54 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ah, i hadn't thought of that, patricia. but you're right, that *does* get tedious. i see why you decided that. (although i still do find it frustrating sometimes. )
Old 06-13-2008, 06:39 PM   #8
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yes, I noticed the quote system here automatically eliminates other quoted messages. Sometimes you want that... sometimes you don't. I assume it is a setting in the software somewhere.

BOb
I vote for that as well. It would be really nice to have the option for doing that.
The moderators decided against allowing automatic nested quotes because a lot of lazy people post extended quotations, then just add a sentence (or less) at the bottom. This gets very tedious.
ah, i hadn't thought of that, patricia. but you're right, that *does* get tedious. i see why you decided that. (although i still do find it frustrating sometimes. )
Yeah.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:42 PM   #9
zelda_pinwheel

just in case any doubt remained...
Old 06-13-2008, 08:57 PM   #10
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I understand -- and since I'm not intimidated by the BBcode, I can manage to get the posts to display the way that I want. As I said, I was just frustrated by the different behavior from the two sites.

Thanks to the moderators for all that they do behind the scenes.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:49 PM   #11
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
What the?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
OK -- I'm frustrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi
Something I said
And Nick's response to it
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I would like to know how to do multiple quotes.
Quote:
i would like automatic nested quotes as well... if it's possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Yeah.
Quote:
just in case any doubt remained...
Quote:
I understand -- and since I'm not intimidated by the BBcode, I can manage to get the posts to display the way that I want. As I said, I was just frustrated by the different behavior from the two sites.

Thanks to the moderators for all that they do behind the scenes.
is Nick's response to it!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:12 PM   #12
Elsi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
What the?
I was typing a sample of nested quotes and was afraid there was a filter that would object if I used a non-existent user name, and since you and I had been talking about making IMP books ...
Old 06-13-2008, 11:15 PM   #13
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody
You can quote anyone you like.
You can quote anyone, or nobody, as you can see. What I don't like is that the quote bbcode is phrased "Originally Posted by". If we're quoting an off-site source, it would be nice to be able to use the quote tag without it appearing as if we're referring to a post within the thread.

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 06-13-2008 at 11:17 PM.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:17 PM   #14
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
I was typing a sample of nested quotes and was afraid there was a filter that would object if I used a non-existent user name, and since you and I had been talking about making IMP books ...
Yes, I know (all in good fun...)! And I didn't have anything to add.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 01:00 AM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Taylor514ce Wrote:
You can quote anyone, or nobody, as you can see. What I don't like is that the quote bbcode is phrased "Originally Posted by". If we're quoting an off-site source, it would be nice to be able to use the quote tag without it appearing as if we're referring to a post within the thread.
You can modify the text of the quote itself once you see it in the editor. You can use your own lead in although it won't be automatic with the = sign.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote