Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-27-2009, 06:31 PM   #1
Paul in Saudi
Connoisseur
Paul in Saudi is on a distinguished road

Device: Amazon Kindle
Time for a New Battery

I am using a late-model Kindle 1. You got figure it is more than a year or so old.

Strangely, the battery is reading about half charged after a day of reading. I plug it iin each night, so really it is no big problem. That said, I wonder if it might be time to get a new battery.

Your thoughts?
Paul in Saudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:07 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I would check first to see if you have accidentally left your Whispernet switch on - it really drains the battery - even if you can't connect - it's probably trying to "Phone home."
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2009, 10:37 PM   #3
Paul in Saudi
Connoisseur

I suspect the fact I have been doing content management might have tapped it out. Let me look at it again tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Paul, my K1 is almost a year old, and the battery is still going strong. I bought an extra one from Radio Shack for $18, and now wonder if the Kindle will die before I ever need the spare battery.

I'd suggest you ignore the battery indicator and see how long it goes. That may just be getting goofy. Also, take the battery out for a few minutes, put it back, and give it a full charge and see what happens.

Might be worth getting an extra battery just in case.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:44 PM   #5
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
I too seemed to be having battery issues with my K1. I think that you are on the right track about content management, because that's what seemed to be the key with mine. Once I got done putting books on and off, I paged forward through all the pages on the Kindle which seemed to index everything and then I charged overnight. Battery again staying charged for 5-7 days, so problem solved for me.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2009, 06:11 PM   #6
Paul in Saudi
Connoisseur

Something is wrong. I drove through town today for an hour or so and read the Times. The battery is at half. That isn't right.

Radio Shack for a new one? I can replace it fairly easily?
Old 09-30-2009, 02:54 PM   #7
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Saudi View Post
Radio Shack for a new one? I can replace it fairly easily?
Sure, just be careful pulling the little plug out. Might want to use needle-nose pliers or tweezers to be safe.

The replacement battery has the same plug, so just push it back in, being sure to have the color wires in the same order of the one you took out.

Piece of cake.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:04 PM   #8
Paul in Saudi
Connoisseur

Thanks.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:31 AM   #9
IntegrityWolf
^_^
IntegrityWolf began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Touch (Wi-Fi)
Amazon is selling Kindle 1 batteries for pretty cheap online. I picked up a new one for my Kindle 1. I believe it's 20 dollars.

You can get a lot of kindle 1 accessories for REAL cheap now. Like the m-edge cases are going for 19.99 on Amazon. They used to be 40+.
IntegrityWolf is offline   Reply With Quote