Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 12:24 PM   #46
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Feature requests (and bug reports) belong in the ticket list at http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/query

You can always add a comment indicating a particular request is important to you as well.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:20 AM   #47
davlyn
davlyn began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Imstalling update

I have Windows Vista and when I first loaded Calibre it was brilliant. When an upgrade became available I un-installed the old version and then when I tried to load the new version it kept saying error can`t open file. Can anybody tell me where I am going wrong? When I tried to load my original version it would not load coming up with error messages. I even tried to delete the files that were left after the un-install but they can`t be deleted.
Thanks
Advert
Old 02-03-2009, 10:22 AM   #48
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davlyn View Post
I even tried to delete the files that were left after the un-install but they can`t be deleted.
Thanks
Are you sure you shut down calibre. Look in your task manager to see if the process is still running. If it is, stop it. You may be able to stop calibre from the task bar icon.

BOb
Old 02-03-2009, 12:56 PM   #49
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

reboot and the uninstall calibre. To be safe delete the c:\Program Files\calibre directory. Then try re-installing calibre.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:59 AM   #50
rmhartman
rmhartman began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten, Palm TX
I just opened a ticket about this, because the link to forums was way at the bottom of the page but a link to tickets was up at the top. Anyway, I will try here as well.

In your list of supported formats you say "PRC". PRC is not a format. PRC (and PDB) is a container file for a Palm database. The actual format is indicated by a combination of two four-byte codes (the "type" and "creator" codes).

Not counting spreadsheets, game data files, etc. Just ebook formats, this includes:

Creator/Type Actual Format
REAd/TEXt Palm "Doc" (possibly old MobiPocket, see below at *)
ToGo/ToGo iSilo2
SilX/SDoc iSiloX
MOBI/BOOK MobiPocket (current)
Plkr/Data Plucker
PPRs/PNRd PalmReader
TR3C/TR3D TomeRaider 3

(*) MobiPocket mucked things up for a long time by using the Palm "Doc" creator/type codes even though they added OEB tags ... which meant that a reader program that recognized Palm Doc would "see" this file, and allow you to open it, but you would be faced with a mess of tags. Fortunately they have finally corrected this.

When you say in your documentation list that you handle PRC I assume you are actually referring to MobiPocket files ... but that if I tried, for instance, to run a Plucker or iSilo file through, it would fail entirely. And I wouldn't even want to guess what would happen with an actual Palm Doc file ... you probably recognize those codes but it would be missing the Mobi OEB tags ...

Anyway. It would be helpful if you were specific about the Palm format. "PRC" is not sufficient to identify a format.

I have a program for the PC that will let you take a look at the useful Palm
database header information (creator, type &
name-that-will-show-up-on-the-Palm) at
http://www.catslair.com/tech/palm/#pdbhdr

There is also a program at http://www.djw.org/product/palm/par/ that will let you see (and modify) the entire Palm header, including the name that will show when the file is loaded up on the Palm (this would also be the book title shown in the mobi reader index).

The ticket I opened for this issue, btw, is #1836
Advert
Old 02-12-2009, 11:19 AM   #51
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

What exactly are you asking for. A documentation change? calibre will only allow you to convert PRC files with Textread/MOBI headers. It will complain if you feed it any other kind of PRC file.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 02-12-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:31 PM   #52
rmhartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
What exactly are you asking for. A documentation change? calibre will only allow you to convert PRC files with Textread/MOBI headers. It will complain if you feed it any other kind of PRC file.
Which is what should be in the documentation. The formats list says "PRC" ... and that is not a (single) format.

btw: while iSilo is a proprietary format, Plucker is an open format and you might want to consider adding support for them sometime.

But for now, I would just like the documentation to be more specific about the whole "PRC" thing.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:17 PM   #53
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I've changed the formats entry in the FAQ
Old 02-13-2009, 02:06 AM   #54
handyjones1
handyjones1 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505
Hi everyone,
I've been using Calibre for over month now and suddenly I can't get it to open. I tried several times re-installing, but nothing. My OS is vista, and with McAfee service. I tried defraging, cleaning my registry, and completely turning off McAfee, but nothing works. I've read the FAQ, and it recommend posting the following: Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\handyjones1 > calibre-debug -g
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\utils\config.pyo", line 494, in refresh
EOFError
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "debug.py", line 147, in <module>
File "debug.py", line 120, in main
File "calibre\gui2\main.pyo", line 1564, in main
File "calibre\gui2\main.pyo", line 76, in __init__
File "calibre\gui2\main_ui.pyo", line 162, in setupUi
File "calibre\gui2\library.pyo", line 615, in __init__
File "calibre\gui2\library.pyo", line 129, in __init__
File "calibre\utils\config.pyo", line 459, in __getitem__
File "calibre\utils\config.pyo", line 466, in get
File "calibre\utils\config.pyo", line 456, in refresh
File "calibre\utils\config.pyo", line 395, in parse
File "calibre\utils\config.pyo", line 317, in parse_string
TypeError: expected string without null bytes

I hope someone can give me some help in solving this. I really enjoy all the newspapers and mags. I should note that I'm not that computer literate, but can follow simple instructions.

Thanks,
Handyjones1
Old 02-13-2009, 03:24 AM   #55
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Looks like one of your settings files has gotten corrupted. I'm making a new release of calibre tomorrow which will workaround this problem. Alternatively, find the file named gui.py on your computer and delete it, then restart calibre
Old 02-14-2009, 08:21 AM   #56
mlavoie8
mlavoie8 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Where can I find the Calibre download option?

I know that this ranks right up there in the stupid question category, but I found the discussion threads, and can't find the download option.

And, does it function properly on Macs?
Old 02-14-2009, 10:02 AM   #57
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlavoie8 View Post
I know that this ranks right up there in the stupid question category, but I found the discussion threads, and can't find the download option.

And, does it function properly on Macs?
In the top-right area of the front page (http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/ ), there are three rows of links. In the middle row (the one inside the boxes), the far-right link is "Get Calibre". Or, here's a shortcut: http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/download

And yes, it works great on Macs. I'm still using a G4 with OSX 10.4, which I would assume is somewhere near the minimal requirement. However, I had to upgrade my version of Python to 2.5 separately to get Mobidedrm to run, so I cannot say if the current version of Calibre will work 100% with a "stock" 10.4 load (which includes Python 2.4).
Old 02-14-2009, 10:55 AM   #58
rmhartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I've changed the formats entry in the FAQ
Thanks. That helps.

Would you want me to put an entry in the wiki going into more detail about what "TextRead" and "MOBIBook" headers means, including how you can check on them?
Old 02-14-2009, 11:58 AM   #59
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Sure go ahead and a create a page about the PRC format.

@curtw: calibre will work with a stock 10.4 install
Old 02-15-2009, 05:16 PM   #60
Student1
Groupie
Student1 doesn't litterStudent1 doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Hi, great soft kovidgoyal, really love it! I was wondering, is there a way to select a directory and all its subdirectories? I have over 20 000+ files in 100 s of directories and it seems extremely long to do it by directory one at a time, any faster way? (ie drive c select or dir and all its subdirectories?)
Closed Thread