Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Hachett raising ebook prices to libraries

Not sure if this is best under news or "general discussions", so feel free to move if this is in the wrong place!

Overdrive's Digital Library Blog is reporting that Hatchett is raising prices on approximately 3500 books - and the prices seem pretty obscene to me! Of course, I wasn't aware the "normal" prices were so much higher than list to start with.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Initially I thought this was good news, meaning that Hachette was going to actually make current ebooks available to Overdrive, even if at a higher price. Silly me. They are just jacking up the prices on their old catalog (pre-April 2010 published titles).
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I didn't even notice that part of it. I was too busy goggling at the prices.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Just out of curiousity, how much does Hatchette charge a library for a hardcover book of the same title? If the new ebook prices are comparable to what the library pays for a hardcover, I don't think that's unreasonable if Hatchette's not the publisher with the license limiting each purchase to 26 checkouts.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
Just out of curiousity, how much does Hatchette charge a library for a hardcover book of the same title? If the new ebook prices are comparable to what the library pays for a hardcover, I don't think that's unreasonable if Hatchette's not the publisher with the license limiting each purchase to 26 checkouts.
Depends what you mean by "new ebook", ebooks published before April 2010 aren't exactly new, paperbacks for those have been out for at least a year.

Btw, HarperCollins are the ones who have the 26 checkout restriction. For anyone else keeping track: Random House increased the prices they charge libraries for ebooks earlier this year, but they at least do sell them frontlist books, Penguin stopped selling even their backlist ebooks to libraries last year, while MacMillan and Simon & Schuster never have sold ebooks to public libraries.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2012, 10:44 PM   #6
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
Just out of curiousity, how much does Hatchette charge a library for a hardcover book of the same title?
With paper books, Hatchette has almost no ability to set a different price for libraries than for the general public.

I say almost because there are wholesalers that libraries tend to use for both purchase and rental (they often rent a few copies of a best-seller, but only buy one outright for their permanent collection). I suppose Hatchette could favor or disfavor those wholesalers. But if the library wants to buy a hardback from WalMart or Amazon, Hatchette cannot stop them.

The library could of course still buy an eBook from Kobo or Amazon for the same price as the general public. But the library couldn't live with the license terms, and needs a different variant of DRM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote