Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #1
dkperez
Groupie
dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nine
How make bootable copy of micro sd for nook

Sorry to drag people away from books, but we have two Nook Color(s). One boots fine from the micro SD. The OTHER one DID until yesterday. I'd like to make a bootable copy of the working micro SD from the working Nook to the other... I've got my laptop and a card reader that'll read/write the micro SD...

What's the easiest way to get everything off the working micro SD and ONTO the one that failed?
dkperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
You didn't say whether you had a Windows computer, but if you do, you can use a program called Win32DiskImager. Do a Google search for it. Put your card in your reader, select the proper drive letter, enter the path and filename in the top textbox and then click the READ button.

When it's done, put in the new SD card and click the WRITE button.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
dkperez
Groupie
dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I realized way after I put in the entry that I'd forgotten to identify the computer... Yup, it's a regular Windows 7 laptop... I"ll try the diskimager and see if I can get a working card so my wife can go back to using Coolreader instead of the default reader!

Thanks for the pointer.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
You should check to see if the size of the source-card image you want to copy over is not larger than the size of the destination card, else the write operation will fail.

In doing this type of "cloning via image copying" I discovered that cards with same nominal size (e.g., both 8GB in size) don't necessarily have exactly the same size of usable space, especially if they are of different manufacturers.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
dkperez
Groupie

Unfortunately, the source card is a 16GB and the destination is a 4GB. The image file that was created is 4GB, but when I try to write it, I get the "not enough space" message. So, apparently this is going to be a lot more of a pain than I'd hoped.

We'll be home tomorrow, where I"ll have a normal-speed connection and can go out and find the latest cm7 software and just rebuild the thing from scratch.
Advert
Old 09-04-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try this one.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #7
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
Try this one.
That image is for the NT, not the NC which the OP has.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
kevinp
Fanatic

My mistake. How about this link.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #9
fredlave
Connoisseur
fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Cloning a microSD card.

Did you try to remove and reinsert the balky micro SD card? This worked for me a couple of months ago. Also, we had a discussion in June about cloning a microSd card. Search for fredlave for the thread. Part of the conversation was:
"I d/led HDDGURU's HDD Raw Copy Tool (http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-Raw-Copy-Tool/) and it worked great. In fact, I'm running my NT off the cloned microSD card now. I did a direct card to card copy. The Raw Copy Tool is a bit rough around the edges but it works. Mujokin's advice to be cautious when using it is well founded. It does not list your disk drives as A:, B:, C:, etc. and it's easy to mistake the target drive for the source and erase your precious microSD card. What I did was to put my source card into an SD adapter and then write protect it with the little slider on the left edge of the adapter. This saved me on my first attempt to clone and my second attempt was successful."
fredlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:35 PM   #10
dkperez
Groupie

I could swear I put a reply in last night, but I was tired and I wonder if I forgot to press the "submit"...

Anyhow, thanks for the pointers guys. I got the cm7/cm9 stuff installed and working. And got several book readers installed so my wife is happy again.

The only problem is the thing is now DOG SLOW... It constantly timed out even trying to download and install a reader, and pretty much everything else. I figure it'll take a while but I'll rummage around and see if I can find something to improve the performance - it previously ran very well, so I'm guessing something in this new installation is different but I remember from the last time I did this that it as a VERY slow, laborious process to wade through all the arcane terms and acronyms to eventually find the necessary nuggets to get things working...