Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-24-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
ebook_junkie
ebook_junkie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Kindle App. on Samsung Galaxy tab not displaying special characters

I use the Kindle app. on my Samsung Galaxy 7.7 to read ebooks purchased from Amazon. I have just purchased a book about Buddhism, and the text includes lots of special characters, some of which the Kindle app. is not able to display correctly – it just substitutes a rectangle shape.

When I view the same book on my computer, using "Kindle for PC", all of the special characters are displayed correctly.

Can anyone tell me if this inability to display the special characters is a deficiency in the Kindle app. or of the Samsung Galaxy tab, and if there is anything I can do about it?

I have checked that the firmware on my tablet is up to date. I have deleted the Kindle app and reinstalled it. I have deleted the book from my tablet and re-downloaded it. None of this makes any difference.
ebook_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:17 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It indicates that the characters are not present in the font being used to display the book. Your PC has a full Unicode font; by the sound of it, your Galaxy Tab does not.

It's really the publisher's fault. If they use non-standard characters, they should either display them with graphics, or else create a KF8 file and embed within the book a font containing the appropriate characters.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2012, 11:53 PM   #3
Dedonut
Dedonut began at the beginning.

Device: nook, iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad2, Acer Aspire Laptop
I'm trying to help a friend who has a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 (ICS) and is using a Kindle app.
She has been reading a lengthy ebook and highlighting and making notes for a book club. It's been working fine but all of a sudden last week dropped all the highlights and notes made previously. She has continued to read the same book and the highlights and notes are working again. Is there any way to retrieve all the 'lost' notes? We checked, it's not a memory issue, there's still plenty. Thanks.
Dedonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:48 AM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedonut View Post
I'm trying to help a friend who has a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 (ICS) and is using a Kindle app.
She has been reading a lengthy ebook and highlighting and making notes for a book club. It's been working fine but all of a sudden last week dropped all the highlights and notes made previously. She has continued to read the same book and the highlights and notes are working again. Is there any way to retrieve all the 'lost' notes? We checked, it's not a memory issue, there's still plenty. Thanks.
Have her log in here and see if they are backed up there.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
Dedonut
Dedonut began at the beginning.

Device: nook, iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad2, Acer Aspire Laptop
Thanks for the reply, Blossom. She doesn't have a Kindle but uses the Kindle App on her Tab. Might the notes still be backed up on Amazon? Is the data on the App (as opposed to the Kindle device itself) also connected to Amazon?
Dedonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedonut View Post
Thanks for the reply, Blossom. She doesn't have a Kindle but uses the Kindle App on her Tab. Might the notes still be backed up on Amazon? Is the data on the App (as opposed to the Kindle device itself) also connected to Amazon?
They should be if she sync correctly.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote