Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-09-2011, 04:22 PM   #31
AzB
AzB doesn't litterAzB doesn't litter

Device: nook color
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoraso View Post
One thing to note - if you root w/ the autonooter ver 3 (for 1.1), there are 2 issues: read in store MAY not be fixed (there are reports that autonooter 3 breaks read in-store)
I did not use autonooter 3 and read in store does not work. I don't think the issue is autonooter.

Az
AzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #32
harryzee
harryzee doesn't litterharryzee doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX with 3.2.1/Nook HD+ with internal 4.2.2
Smile In Store Works

I just successfully rooted my NC with Autonooter 3.0.0 last night.

1. After rebooting, all NC functions that I use worked as before including BN shopping.

2. D/L the Kindle app and a notepad app. Both installed successfully.

3. Stopped at a local BN on the way home today and was able to connect in store and read! I had to try a second time but the chosen book d/l and I spent a few minutes reading in store to make sure all was well. Loved using the notepad instead of dragging out my cellphone to perform the same function. Noted several book titles.

4. When I got home, I went online and ordered two books from Amazon/Kindle. One was immediately available and the other was a 2/22 preorder. Opened up the Kindle ap and the available one d/l right away! It was "The Hidden Reality" by Brian Greene and it was several dollars cheaper than the BN Nook version which was the driving factor behind my finally rooting!

5. Also ordered a book from BN and that order and d/l went through as ever.

So far I am experiencing no issues at all with this root.

I assume the Android version is still 2.1 as I see no change on the NC info page.

Now, if I can find a simple overclock kernel that works with 1.1!!!

Good luck to the rest of you as this definitely has worked for me.

Harry Zee
harryzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2011, 03:52 PM   #33
orb9220
orb9220 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Yep was easy and great for me. Installed the dolphin HD browser. But can't seem to find any docs. And can't do gestures as don't have the SD card inserted? Just to do add-ons you have to have an SD card? And same goes for the readers again have to have library on SD card and have 60 books on internal. So that a bit of a bummer to have to redo my library if I want to use a different reader. Still have looked up how to get the book I'm reading on the home screen yet. And Installed and using Zeem but still can't figure out how to put most used apps on launcher?

Slow going to figure out the customizing as it seems developers hate to write out user docs. But can't complain as they do a great job developing and making it free or low cost to the user.
orb9220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:24 PM   #34
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I think I am going to do the autonooter version 3 since I don't think I want to install Clockwork Recovery. I like the 8 interrupted boots and I am worried if I install Clockwork and I ever have a problem I will be up the creek. I want to keep it simple since I am not very technically inclined.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:48 AM   #35
Alexsmom
Alexsmom began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Problem with root?

I rooted my Nook Color 1.0.1 a week ago and absolutelty love it! This was my first root so it was a little scary but the Nook is great except for one small problem. When a go to settings, device info, about your nookcolor - it states my software version is "unavailable". Is that normal or should I worry?- also- would that keep the OTA updates from happening? I did a Titanium backup just in case but I am so happy with the Nook now that I don't want it to "unroot" on me. I put these questions on a couple of other forums and got no response- I'm hoping someone here can reassure me or trell me if I need to worry. BTW- I feel like I'm cheating on my Blackberry- I might just have to go full Android!
Carol
Alexsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2011, 10:55 PM   #36
therealguppy
therealguppy began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orb9220 View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Yep installed bunch of recommended apps.
Still deciding on which launcher and any comparisons threads around? And slowly con-jelling all the different info.

1) Market no longer has Angry Birds? They have Angry Birds Seasons. But can't get orig?
2) Button Savior keeps coming up with enable debugging everytime I run it. I have enabled it it then backs out rerun and get debugg again. If I hit cancel then can get to settings and it is running on the screen. And working.
3) Advanced Task Killer Yes or No? As some say since 2.1 it is not needed and can cause problems?

And wanting to have a calendar,battery percentage,quick on/off wifi & strength with books on home screen. And a launcher bar for custom apps launch.

Any help is appreciated and this forum rocks! for help & info. And am sure I may be bugging you all a bit. Until I become knowledgeable enough to help.

1: The New Update to Angry Birds Requires that it be able to access SMS, since Nook does not have SMS features the Market filters it out. You will need to side load the APK from a different source.

2: Update 1.1 turns off ADB, and you have to Renable it everytime you want to use this, hence why you get that message with Button Savior, As of now i do not know of a fix for this.

3. I use Advanced Task killer all the time on my Nook, and I find it to be a must, it really helps to keep the nook running smoothly.

4. if you want Widgets and everything that you talked about you need to get a Customer launcher, I recommend ZEAM, but any customer launcher will worl.

Also someone else said that Autonooter 3 breaks CWR this is not the case. it is not Autonooter but update 1.1 that breaks CWR you will not beable to install CWR to your nook boot partition on 1.1 you will be forever stuck in CWR if you do this.
Instead you will need to run CWR off a SD card image.
therealguppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:04 PM   #37
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealguppy View Post
Also someone else said that Autonooter 3 breaks CWR this is not the case. it is not Autonooter but update 1.1 that breaks CWR you will not beable to install CWR to your nook boot partition on 1.1 you will be forever stuck in CWR if you do this.
Instead you will need to run CWR off a SD card image.
CWM does work if you install it on a rooted 1.0.1 system and then use the pre-rooted update to go to rooted 1.1. I have CWM on my Nook at rooted 1.1 and have made and restored several nandroid backups. I've never had a boot loop. For those that want the convenience of on-Nook CWM, this is probably the way to go.

UPDATE: just noticed this post on XDA: someone reported and someone else confirmed that the CWM reboots may be caused by rebooting directly to recovery after flashing CWM, and that rebooting before doing so resolves the issue.

Last edited by zartemis; 02-15-2011 at 11:17 PM.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:08 PM   #38
therealguppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zartemis View Post
CWM does work if you install it on a rooted 1.0.1 system and then use the pre-rooted update to go to rooted 1.1. I have CWM on my Nook at rooted 1.1 and have made and restored several nandroid backups. I've never had a boot loop. For those that want the convenience of on-Nook CWM, this is probably the way to go.

UPDATE: just noticed this post on XDA: someone reported and someone else confirmed that the CWM reboots may be caused by rebooting directly to recovery after flashing CWM, and that rebooting before doing so resolves the issue.
Hmm good to know that last bit.

That must be the issue, because I had done what you did first time around, I had a Rooted, 1.0.1 and updated via a CWR SD card to 1.1 rooted. and then i tried use Rom Manager and install CWR to the nook so i could install the overclocked kernel and got stuck in the boot loop. but I did not reboot normally before trying to get to CWR. I just rebooted directly to it. after that i wiped back to normal. updated to 1.1 normally and then rooted with Auto nooter 3.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:37 PM   #39
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealguppy View Post
Hmm good to know that last bit.

That must be the issue, because I had done what you did first time around, I had a Rooted, 1.0.1 and updated via a CWR SD card to 1.1 rooted. and then i tried use Rom Manager and install CWR to the nook so i could install the overclocked kernel and got stuck in the boot loop. but I did not reboot normally before trying to get to CWR. I just rebooted directly to it. after that i wiped back to normal. updated to 1.1 normally and then rooted with Auto nooter 3.
The CWM bootloop is very odd -- since it must mean that something in the way the regular (rooted) BN OS boots is triggering a fall-back to a recovery boot. You normally can't get a recovery boot without doing something 'special', either a hardware button trigger or boot off of SD. One would need more details about the stock BN boot routines to debug this fully. Even unrooted Nooks have sometimes booted to their recovery unexpectedly and caused an unwanted restore-to-stock wipe -- so there is some sort of a test or failure case that can trigger it. At least with CWM, merely launching the recovery boot doesn't wipe your device like the BN recovery does (I must admit that's the biggest reason I'm glad to have the BN recovery off my device).

Thankfully there is an easy fix (you don't even have to restore to stock) -- just restore BN recovery boot with the monster rootpack and you're rolling again.

There is also one report that even after getting CWM installed correctly on rooted 1.1 that using ROM Manager to reboot into recovery will re-trigger the bootloop. Curious about that, I just tried on my rooted 1.1 device. No issues. I rebooted into CWM from ROM Manager and then rebooted and it came up into the OS normally.

Oh, and you and I rooted slightly differently. I installed CWM on a rooted 1.0.1 device and then used that to apply the pre-rooted update zip. Sounds like you used CWM on an SD to apply the zip and then installed CWM. A minor difference that may be all the difference?

Last edited by zartemis; 02-16-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:51 AM   #40
therealguppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zartemis View Post
The CWM bootloop is very odd -- since it must mean that something in the way the regular (rooted) BN OS boots is triggering a fall-back to a recovery boot. You normally can't get a recovery boot without doing something 'special', either a hardware button trigger or boot off of SD. One would need more details about the stock BN boot routines to debug this fully. Even unrooted Nooks have sometimes booted to their recovery unexpectedly and caused an unwanted restore-to-stock wipe -- so there is some sort of a test or failure case that can trigger it. At least with CWM, merely launching the recovery boot doesn't wipe your device like the BN recovery does (I must admit that's the biggest reason I'm glad to have the BN recovery off my device).

Thankfully there is an easy fix (you don't even have to restore to stock) -- just restore BN recovery boot with the monster rootpack and you're rolling again.

There is also one report that even after getting CWM installed correctly on rooted 1.1 that using ROM Manager to reboot into recovery will re-trigger the bootloop. Curious about that, I just tried on my rooted 1.1 device. No issues. I rebooted into CWM from ROM Manager and then rebooted and it came up into the OS normally.

Oh, and you and I rooted slightly differently. I installed CWM on a rooted 1.0.1 device and then used that to apply the pre-rooted update zip. Sounds like you used CWM on an SD to apply the zip and then installed CWM. A minor difference that may be all the difference?

I agree its a very odd thing, but i have faith that the Devs will figure it out, untill then I just keep CWR off my nook and safe on a SD card. I'm really just waiting for CM7 anyway
Old 02-19-2011, 06:52 PM   #41
mariel9898
Connoisseur
mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Color, Droid 2 Global
Is there a good video like this but for 3.0? And is it worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl Punishment View Post
Here is a video with step by step instructions for the 2.12.25.img http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUoHALWvPts..

Im still on the fence, dont know which way to jump !!! I already put the image on the SD but am reluctant to put in the Nook !!! It kinda is fine the way it is....
Great video! However, is there one for 3.0 that is just as good and just as step by step?

Also, what are the differences between 3.0 and 2.12.25? Should I just follow the instructions on the video or should I go with 3.0 though I can't find really good step by step instructions.

mariel9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:03 PM   #42
Apoc
Connoisseur
Apoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookC with CM7 (eMMC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariel9898 View Post
Great video! However, is there one for 3.0 that is just as good and just as step by step?

Also, what are the differences between 3.0 and 2.12.25? Should I just follow the instructions on the video or should I go with 3.0 though I can't find really good step by step instructions.

You can use the same instructions to root with v3.

Here's something weird that I noticed. I had rooted v1.1 with 2.12.25 (the modified version for 1.1) and all was well. Then 3.0 came out and I re-rooted with that. Now I have WiFi issues that I did not have before. I also lose ADBWireless connection a lot. Just to make sure that it's not just my imagination, I will re-root with 2.12.25 again this weekend and see if my troubles go away. I can report my findings here if you like.

Oh, and I don't like the animation of 3.0, either. Heh.

Last edited by Apoc; 02-19-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:48 PM   #43
zartemis
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Here's something weird that I noticed. I had rooted v1.1 with 2.12.25 (the modified version for 1.1) and all was well. Then 3.0 came out and I re-rooted with that. Now I have WiFi issues that I did not have before. I also lose ADBWireless connection a lot. Just to make sure that it's not just my imagination, I will re-root with 2.12.25 again this weekend and see if my troubles go away. I can report my findings here if you like.
Both of these are known issues with 1.1, not your imagination.

BN changed the wifi configuration -- it fixes some people's issue and breaks others (I, too, sometimes have to toggle wifi on/off when my Nook comes out of sleep -- you can just touch the right side of the bottom notification bar, so it's pretty quick to do). This is not a rooted/non-rooted issue.

The ADB issue is because USB debugging gets toggled off (perhaps by some Nook security settings). You can go to Nook Color Tools and turn it back on. No known fix, yet. This is, of course, just a rooted issue since non-rooted 1.1 devices can't use ADB at all.

I live with these rather than going back to 1.0.1 because I use the read-in-store feature that is now available with rooted 1.1 devices.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:05 AM   #44
mariel9898
Connoisseur
mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Color, Droid 2 Global
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
You can use the same instructions to root with v3.
So where do you get the most up to date download?

And what are the differences?
mariel9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:28 AM   #45
da2zoe
Book Addict
da2zoe began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color Rooted
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedifarfy View Post
As someone who's never rooted a thing in her life, it's awesomesauce. I'm ridiculously in love with this thing. I followed the nook devs instructions but used the new root.
I finally rooted my NC tonight. I was so nervous that it took me days to get the courage, even though there's tons of info here for what to do is something goes wrong. I again than windycitygal for her thread for rooting on a Mac.

I am also ridiculously in love with my NC.
da2zoe is offline   Reply With Quote