Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-05-2010, 12:17 AM   #1
Shasta_d
Shasta_d began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch
Question 1g 32gb --Is there an app that can read aloud epub or lit files for the ipod/iphone?

I have an Apple Ipod touch 1g 32gb -- Is there an app that can read aloud epub or lit files for the ipod/iphone?

I am not really concerned how badly it sounds as i've grown accustomed to listening to the msreader which is lousy.

I currently use SpeakIt! but cutting and pasting is not easy to do but find having someone read to me keeps me sane in these distressing times.
Anyhow, thanks for reading.
Shasta
Shasta_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:42 AM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
I thought I remember Apple touting this as a feature of iBooks, but I can't seem to get it to read any text aloud, even with VoiceOver enabled. None of the other reader software has such a feature to my knowledge either.

I guess the alternative is to listen to audio books through the iPod application.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:30 AM   #3
Shasta_d

I can't find anything either...

audiobooks as an alternative... sure as soon as i win the lottery
but thanks for replying.
Shasta
Old 05-05-2010, 08:48 AM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Not sure where you live, but my local library has a ton of mp3 audiobooks to check out. beyond that they have a ton of cd based (u-rip-it) audio books as well. plus audio books in overdrive format (which unfortunately won't load on an ipad without some work). you might want to check out your library.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta_d View Post
audiobooks as an alternative... sure as soon as i win the lottery
but thanks for replying.
Shasta
There are various Text-To-Speech programs you can run on your computer that have functions to convert text to an audio book you could play on the iPod.

The output won't sound like a proper audiobook, as some words will be pronounced incorrectly, and it will have no idea how to correctly emphasize sentances or add emotions, but it should give a listenable output, and probably a better output than text-to-speech on a portable device would give.

The quality of the voices themselves varies a lot, there are free voices available from Microsoft, but they are pretty poor. At the other end of the scale there are the top end IVONA voices which are hundred of megabytes of data and sound much better.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:46 PM   #6
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Also there's an overdrive app for audiobooks available.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:29 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
I thought I remember Apple touting this as a feature of iBooks, but I can't seem to get it to read any text aloud, even with VoiceOver enabled. None of the other reader software has such a feature to my knowledge either.

I guess the alternative is to listen to audio books through the iPod application.
Amazon added a read aloud function to the Kindles but then the publishers got all controllie (sort of like Steve Jobs) and forced Amazon to make it usable only at the publishers' discretion. That pretty much killed the feature and was one of the reasons I abandoned the Kindle. It seems kind of strange that these days you can by a Blu-Ray movie that comes with a second DVD for non-Blu-Ray DVD players and a third DVD for your PC or Mac. The movie industry seems to be loosening up and are starting to be more accomodating. Now if the book publishing industry would only stop acting like Steve Jobs and start acting more like the movie industry we might see a day when you could by a book in any electronic format and have the legal right to read and/or hear it on any reader in any format. That is, eBooks would be available in multi-formats for one low price.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:13 PM   #8
audiolover
audiolover began at the beginning.

I've been looking for this too. Found a list of possible ipod apps

This is important to me as I'm trying to decide whether to get an Ipod touch or a Kindle, and have been leaning toward the Kindle just because of the Read-to-Me feature.

I have eye trouble and there are some books I simply haven't been able to read because there isn't an audiobook version. But I could if a device would read them to me.

I found some more possible apps here:

http://www.acapela-group.com/acapela...tions-tts.html

Maybe we can figure out if one of them will work for Kindle and other books.
audiolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:08 AM   #9
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolover View Post
This is important to me as I'm trying to decide whether to get an Ipod touch or a Kindle, and have been leaning toward the Kindle just because of the Read-to-Me feature.

I have eye trouble and there are some books I simply haven't been able to read because there isn't an audiobook version. But I could if a device would read them to me.

I found some more possible apps here:

http://www.acapela-group.com/acapela...tions-tts.html

Maybe we can figure out if one of them will work for Kindle and other books.
Best solution for me that would work with EVery Ebook.

Buy Ebook - remove DRM - use a PC/Mac based program to create the audio file - use some audio software to split teh file up into 1 hr lengths - load onto iPod/MP3 player.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:38 AM   #10
Shasta_d

yeah that's the problem that everyone faces. i don't think we're going to find a epub reader that easily simply because that cuts into audiobook revenue...however, i can't afford $30+ a book anyway so they aren't losing my money. i didn't actually think of the library. i will check that out. it's not my preference only because then i have to take them back

i can rip them but that's more work than i would prefer but it's too doable. i have a couple of feelers out with programers now who may be interested since it's basically untouched arena but getting it by apple.. well, we'll just have to keep looking.

Any suggestions for a windows xp version of ghostreader. i would luv to have a mac but they are pricey and when i have tried to save in the past there always seemed to be a bigger more present need to take up that reserve. *sigh* some day i hope to get a mac laptop. i'd luv an ipad, iphone or heck even an ipod touch 2g if for no other reason that you can easily replace the battery in it. currently my 1g is connected via life support to a electric socket via wall or computer.

Any how thanks for the links and suggestions. i'll keep yawl posted if i find anything.
Shasta
Old 05-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #11
scottjl
Reader of Books

my local library has plenty of audiobooks i can check out on-line and download, not need to even go there physically. has over 6,000 titles in audiobook format and about 1500 in epub/pdf format. there are also other libraries you can join for a cost even though you are not a local resident such as the philadelphia and washington d.c. libraries. might want to check those out as well.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:53 PM   #12
audiolover

Have any of you heard of NaturalReader? It's software for your PC. I'm looking at the site now: http://www.naturalreaders.com . It has a free version.

I think I'm going to try and see if it will read the pdfs on my PC.

It can be installed on a Mac, and it says this: "NaturalReader is available for Mac users now. You can use the premium voices to read aloud or make audio files for iPod, iPhone, MP3 player, or CD Player..."

So you could create audio files of books to put on your iPod, but it won't read something right from an iPod. Still pretty good though.

Now I'm wondering if it would read from Kindle or B&N e-reader books, or just pdfs and such.

I'll keep you updated.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:31 PM   #13
audiolover

My take on Natural Reader

So I downloaded the free version of Natural Reader and ran it.

The voice is not very good (very mechanical) and when I click on a lot of the features, the program tells me it's only available in paid versions.

But in a pinch, it works. I listened to some of a pdf book I have. If you have something you can copy and paste text from, you can have it read. So I don't see any way to have it work with Kindle and B&N e-books.

The paid versions appear to have better voices and, I think, install some sort of plug-in into programs like Microsoft Word, Outlook, and IE so you don't have to copy and paste. And you can convert your text into an mp3 to take with you on iPods, etc. It looks like the cheapest paid version is $49.

I'd suggest trying it out the free version if you don't mind the mechanical voice, just to see how you like it.

Hope that's helpful...