Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-28-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
tweq112
tweq112 began at the beginning.

Help Diagnosing Onyx M92 Screen Problem

Hi everyone,

I recently dropped my Onyx M92 from a height of about 30cm while still in its case. It landed on its end, either on the power button side, or on the opposite side, and then fell flat. I thought it landed softly and would be fine. Well, there is no obvious damange to the screen / housing, but when I turn it on the screen is a mess of horizontal and vertical lines. Here's a youtube video of me turning it on and then trying some of the controls

http://youtu.be/l4Lw3TonS60

I'd be grateful if someone could tell me if they think the screen is broken, or if it's some other issue... I'm hoping that it's some loose connection inside or that a ribbon is gone, because it seems like replacing the screen is almost as expensive as buying a new one.

Thanks in advance!
Steve
tweq112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #2
sisteczko
sisteczko began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox m92
I'd bet it is the screen. See at the samples of broken screens of M92 here: http://onyx-ereader.pl//files/0000/0122/EkUszMech.jpg

I had very simmilar failure. It appears that the screen is very fragile and not flexible at all (it is on glass). Little bend was everything, that broke mine.
If I knew about that fragility, I'd reconsider buying at.

Replacing the screen is not much work, but the screen itself is fairly expensive.
sisteczko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
iampiti
Connoisseur
iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!

Device: Onyx M92
To me it looks like the screen is not broken since there aren't any fixed marks. I had a similar problem and turned out to be the screen controller or something like that. The shop where I bought it (ereader-store.de) fixed it. It was around 50€ if my memory doesn't fail.
Anyway contact your seller, they might be able to give a better diagnostic
iampiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
tweq112
tweq112 began at the beginning.

Thanks for your replies.

Sisteczko, I know what you mean about the disappointing fragility of these screens. It's the second one I've had break (also broke a Kindle DX packed in my luggage while travelling). They really seem to be much more fragile than your average laptop and or smartphone. I wonder if they'll become more rugged with the flexible eink display that I think Sony has developed.

Iampiti, I actually bought it used from marktplaats in the Netherlands. It was in new condition, but I'm not sure which seller they got it from. Booxtor's store seems like a good choice though, so maybe I'll send him a pm and ask if he thinks it's a broken screen or something else and whether he'd consider fixing it.

Thanks again for your feedback!
tweq112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broken, m92, screen