Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: How often has your T1 crashed/frozen? (after using it at least 3 days)
Once 38 23.60%
2-3 times 26 16.15%
More than 3 times 35 21.74%
Never 62 38.51%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2011, 10:59 AM   #301
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by peitsao View Post
It has happened on my 350 a few times, but when I tried to get it to repeat the flipping, I could not do it.
It could be an insect scurrying over the screen or a small piece of dust being pushed by wing.
It happened to me twice. One time an ant ran over the screen, another time a small a very tiny piece of dry greenery was pushed by wind.
Both times it happened on the beach.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:08 AM   #302
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I don't understand the process well enough to have an educated opinion but the fact is that it has never happened to me or anybody else with PRS-350/650. The same touch screen technology is used for PRS-T1 AFAIK.
But it's a different operating system: Android on the T1 vs. Linux on the x50 range. This is a firmware bug, and hence very likely something that's specific to the T1.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:30 AM   #303
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But it's a different operating system: Android on the T1 vs. Linux on the x50 range. This is a firmware bug, and hence very likely something that's specific to the T1.
My response was to
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwerle View Post
Just a thought, but is it possible that the type of lighting at the time is a trigger for touchscreen related issues?
I don't think that light condition would affect one OS and not the other. It seems that T1 has a s/w issue. Light condition would be an external factor, a physical one.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:28 PM   #304
mwerle
Micha
mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
My response was to
I don't think that light condition would affect one OS and not the other. It seems that T1 has a s/w issue. Light condition would be an external factor, a physical one.
Yes and no.
Only because they use the same tech (IR-based touchscreen) doesn't mean it's exactly the same HW, could be different sensor manufacturer (I don't know, just saying). Also it could be the drivers - more/less sensitive, which, while not directly the OS is certainly not an issue in the reader app but the underlying SW.

In either case, I got the same issue on the Tube on the way home just now under fluorecent lights.. so wherever the bug is, it doesn't seem to be lighting related.

Cheers,
- Micha.
mwerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #305
pe1dnn
Enthusiast
pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Sony released the PRS-T1 firmware update that should solve the problem today.
pe1dnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #306
ring0_event
Zealot
ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle3 (3G), PRS-950 (x2), PRS-T1
So...the million dollar question...is the problem solved?
And are PDFs still so dog slow when reflowed? Can't wait to get home now...
ring0_event is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:44 AM   #307
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ring0_event View Post
So...the million dollar question...is the problem solved?
And are PDFs still so dog slow when reflowed? Can't wait to get home now...
I only tested one text PDF for comparison. It is still slow compared to the X50 models but not as slow as it was. Before it would take a noticeable amount of time to turn the last page of reflowed text. Now each page seems to take about the same time to turn so that's an improvement.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:23 PM   #308
ring0_event
Zealot
ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle3 (3G), PRS-950 (x2), PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I only tested one text PDF for comparison. It is still slow compared to the X50 models but not as slow as it was. Before it would take a noticeable amount of time to turn the last page of reflowed text. Now each page seems to take about the same time to turn so that's an improvement.
Missed your reply, but I confirm that there definitely is some improvement. Unfortunately, it seems uneven, in that sometimes it's fast, sometimes not, at least in my quick tests on different PDFs. *sigh*
ring0_event is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:29 PM   #309
Gustav Gans
Enthusiast
Gustav Gans began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
When I change the font size, PDF browsing takes about 3 seconds per page. It might depend on the PDF, but at that rate PDFs are pretty much unusable in my opinion.
Gustav Gans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:34 PM   #310
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have to say, the poll results are totally useless. They only way the poll results would be useful would be to redo the poll for the new firmware and then the results would be useful.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:38 PM   #311
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
If it bothers you, then ask for the title to be amended to reflect that the poll was taken pre December firmware patch
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:40 PM   #312
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
If it bothers you, then ask for the title to be amended to reflect that the poll was taken pre December firmware patch
It's just that the results aren't valid any longer. So anyone looking to buy a T1 and basing it on this poll is going to get obsolete answers.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:12 PM   #313
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
I've amended my original post to explain that the poll is no longer relevant. Is there any way I can amend the poll itself? Is there a moderator I can contact?

Last edited by pssquirrel; 12-11-2011 at 08:15 PM.
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:26 PM   #314
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
You can contact the mods by simply reporting your post and requesting changes
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:32 PM   #315
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pssquirrel View Post
I've amended my original post to explain that the poll is no longer relevant. Is there any way I can amend the poll itself? Is there a moderator I can contact?
One thing you could do is start a new poll based on the new firmware. That would be good.