Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-05-2011, 07:17 AM   #1
rglk
rglk began at the beginning.

Device: PC (Linux)
How do I download my Kindle books on to WLAN-only Kindle - have no access to WLAN

I'm interested in purchasing the cheapest Kindle in Germany (EUR 99, same model as the one for $79 in the US). It's only set up for WLAN transfer.

The problem is my sole Internet connection is through the G3 network, using a Huawei E173 Internet stick; I got no access (with password) to any WLAN router. How do I get the dozens of Kindle books I've got sitting on the Amazon server that are tied to my account with Amazon.com in the US on to this Kindle device?

So far, I've simply downloaded all these books from the Internet to the Kindle for PC program, running in Linux and WinXP on my laptop and my netbook. From many of these books (the ones that are mobi encrypted) I've removed the DRM, so that I can read them in Mobipocket Reader which I much prefer to Kindle4PC. I suppose I could simply copy these unlocked books over from my computer to the Kindle. Is that correct, doesn't it provide for file transfer via a USB connection? These unDRM'ed .mobi ebooks should then be readable on the Kindle, correct?

Unfortunately, that probably wouldn't work with the topaz-encrypted Kindle books of which I have at least a dozen (I no longer will buy any topaz-encrypted books from Amazon unless they greatly improve the primitive Kindle4PC program to which I'm completely tied with the topaz books).

In any case, that doesn't solve the problem of how to get all of my hundreds of $ worth of Kindle books on to the WLAN-only Kindle. Is there a way of turning my laptop, running Linux or WinXP, into a WLAN router that could send the Kindle books download from the Internet to the Kindle device and also email pdf's to it?
rglk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:19 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Select "Transfer via PC" on the Amazon site. This will give you a file which you then simply copy to your Kindle via the USB connection.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:49 AM   #3
rglk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Select "Transfer via PC" on the Amazon site. This will give you a file which you then simply copy to your Kindle via the USB connection.
Thanks for your swift reply. Just to clarify, on my Amazon.com Account Page > Manage your Kindle > Your Kindle Library, for every title, under "Actions", I find an option "Deliver to:" and then there is a drop down menu that lists all my installations of Kindle for PC. Are you saying that after I register my Kindle device, bought from Amazon.de, with Amazon.com, there will be an option on my Amazon.com account page "Deliver to: Kindle 123XYZ" and after simply connecting the Kindle via USB cable (in WinXP or Linux?) and clicking on that option, that title will be properly transferred to the Kindle device? And how do I get pdf's and non-Amazon .mobi books on to that Kindle, without access to WLAN?
Old 11-05-2011, 08:08 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When you have a Kindle registered to your account, there will be a "Transfer via PC" option, which will let you download onto your PC a file which you then copy to your Kindle via the USB connection.

For non-Amazon books, you just connect the Kindle to the PC via the USB cable, and copy your books to the "documents" folder on the Kindle using Windows Explorer.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:43 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rglk View Post
So far, I've simply downloaded all these books from the Internet to the Kindle for PC program, running in Linux and WinXP on my laptop and my netbook. From many of these books (the ones that are mobi encrypted) I've removed the DRM, so that I can read them in Mobipocket Reader which I much prefer to Kindle4PC. I suppose I could simply copy these unlocked books over from my computer to the Kindle. Is that correct, doesn't it provide for file transfer via a USB connection? These unDRM'ed .mobi ebooks should then be readable on the Kindle, correct?
Yes, the Kindle will read these DRM-free MOBI ebooks. Copy them into the documents folder via USB (you can make subfolders if you want, but the Kindle does not use them for navigation). Another option is to use Calibre to manage your ebooks. It will detect a USB-connected Kindle and give you options for copying the ebooks.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:48 AM   #6
rglk

@HarryT & wallcraft

Excellent. I trust your good advice and will go ahead and order the Kindle. Thanks.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:27 PM   #7
Utnapishtim
Utnapishtim began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4NT
I'm in the same situation as you (I have no WiFi), and as the previous posters have indicated, it's no problem getting books from Amazon.com onto the device (it basically functions like a USB-disk).

However, you must keep in mind that at least one feature (collections) requires that you "activate" the device over WiFi, so if you wish to use collections (recommended if you have a lot of texts), then I'd suggest that you go somewhere that offers free WiFi and get that over with.
Utnapishtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

If you buy your Kindle from Amazon it comes per-registered, so that's not a problem.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #9
Utnapishtim
Utnapishtim began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you buy your Kindle from Amazon it comes per-registered, so that's not a problem.
I suspect we may be talking about 2 different things.
While the device was registered to my account when I bought it (from Amazon.com), I still had to go through with the device setup and activation process, which required access to a WiFi network. It was not until I had done the latter that I was able to use collections.
Utnapishtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks - I may perhaps be misremembering the process. I don't recall having to do anything on my Kindle, but I have the 3G version, so it would have had Internet access anyway.

If Internet access is required, MacDonalds is always a good bet for free WiFi.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:10 PM   #11
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
You need to register your Kindle in order to use collections but not to read books which are loaded onto your Kindle.

As mentioned before just copy your books from the K4PC folder onto your Kindle using USB. That's what i did sometimes with my KDXG (ordered in US, living in Germany) when G3 isn't working. That way you can read all books whether they are DRM'ed or not as long as the format itself can be read by your Kindle.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote