Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #16
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
If it is a temporary thing, then I suggest that keeping the customers informed would have been a good idea.

And by 'informed' I mean on the Kobo store egift card page a notice saying "temporarily unavailable, we hope to resume this service on 'date' ".
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:09 PM   #17
Naomi Batac
Naomi Batac began at the beginning.

Device: none
This is quite sad, especially those that cannot use credit cards or other payment schemes online. I just wish that this is some temporary setback.
Naomi Batac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #18
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
This is such a bizarre move. I've gifted a good half dozen books or more to my wife and vice versa. Good to know I can still pick up actual gift cards but still it baffles me why they would do this.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:36 PM   #19
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareBird View Post
This is such a bizarre move. I've gifted a good half dozen books or more to my wife and vice versa. Good to know I can still pick up actual gift cards but still it baffles me why they would do this.
I feel somewhat guilty, as one possible reasons I think they may have gone for this move is that with gifts you could get around geographic restrictions. I had a prepaid card in dollars, and used it to buy books on a new, US account to gift them to my UK account. Having said that, curtailing the gift option altogether is too drastic a measure, and I am sure that they could have found some other ways to prevent this (e.g. accounts based in country X cannot gift to accounts based in country Y).
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #20
larrymohr
Zealot
larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.

Device: Samsung S6 tab, Kobo Sage, AURA One, Mini
I got the following response from Kobo Customer Support:

We are deeply sorry for not being able to provide the option for purchasing eGifts at the moment. We are not offering this service at this present time.

It appears from this that this is(may be) temporary.

At least they didn't say they are absolutely not offering this any longer.

I live in hope....

Larry
larrymohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #21
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
In that case I won't be able to buy anything from Kobo until they reverse this asinine decision. The only way I can purchase anything through their site is by buying a gift card. Every time I try to buy a book with my credit card or PayPal, it "locks up" the account. (My bank suggests I give them a call to in advance of every single non-US purchase I make...) However, for some reason, I have never had any problem buying a gift card. Nice knowing you, Kobo!
cghipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:02 PM   #22
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by cghipp View Post
In that case I won't be able to buy anything from Kobo until they reverse this asinine decision. The only way I can purchase anything through their site is by buying a gift card. Every time I try to buy a book with my credit card or PayPal, it "locks up" the account. (My bank suggests I give them a call to in advance of every single non-US purchase I make...) However, for some reason, I have never had any problem buying a gift card. Nice knowing you, Kobo!
When's the last time you tried using your CC? Kobo purchases in the US go through the Kobo US subsidiary in Delaware now instead of being charged from Canada. So it's not a non-US purchase anymore.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #23
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
I feel somewhat guilty, as one possible reasons I think they may have gone for this move is that with gifts you could get around geographic restrictions. I had a prepaid card in dollars, and used it to buy books on a new, US account to gift them to my UK account. Having said that, curtailing the gift option altogether is too drastic a measure, and I am sure that they could have found some other ways to prevent this (e.g. accounts based in country X cannot gift to accounts based in country Y).
I don't think that could be the reason for a change, since it would only disadvantage those with Kobo devices. Everyone else could carry on as before buying and sideloading the epub, only those wanting to sync books through the Kobo server would be inconvenienced.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:54 AM   #24
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I don't think that could be the reason for a change, since it would only disadvantage those with Kobo devices. Everyone else could carry on as before buying and sideloading the epub, only those wanting to sync books through the Kobo server would be inconvenienced.
thanks Geoff, I feel better now
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #25
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
I talked to Kobo today. They said there were issues with people claiming their giftcards/gifted books so the service was suspended. I asked if this was just a temporary situation and told yes, but they have no estimate as to when gift cards would be available to purchase online again.

Meanwhile, my local Best Buy doesn't carry the cards. I called two of the stores in Las Vegas to see if they had them (I have releatives who still live there), but they don't have them either.

ETA: But Frys does have them.

Last edited by library addict; 05-23-2013 at 07:14 PM.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:34 PM   #26
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
I talked to Kobo today. They said there were issues with people claiming their giftcards/gifted books so the service was suspended. I asked if this was just a temporary situation and told yes, but they have no estimate as to when gift cards would be available to purchase online again.

Meanwhile, my local Best Buy doesn't carry the cards. I called two of the stores in Las Vegas to see if they had them (I have releatives who still live there), but they don't have them either.

ETA: But Frys does have them.
Thanks for the update. I think Target carries them, but I'm not certain. I know they have the Kobo readers.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:42 PM   #27
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
Thanks for the update. I think Target carries them, but I'm not certain. I know they have the Kobo readers.
Target, in the US, hasn't carried Kobo readers and stuff (or Kindle, etc.) for quite a while, they're exclusively Nook and iPad/Pod. Best Buy in the US has dropped Kobo too (or Kobo dropped them?).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:20 AM   #28
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Frys has them in their stores, but not via their website. Sadly, there isn't a Frys in my state.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:41 AM   #29
selina4books
Addict
selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Glo, & Aura HD, KPW, Nook Glow, Nook HD
They were back the other day. I bought one on 5/11. Of course I spent it all. I went in to get one today 5/24 for the SPRINGSAVE sale so I wouldn't have a bunch of little hits on my credit card and damn, they're gone again. I hope they know they're losing sales over this. There's no place here to buy their gift cards.
selina4books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #30
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
Frys has them in their stores, but not via their website. Sadly, there isn't a Frys in my state.
Mine either, but I love Fry's. The nearest to me is about 3 hours away on the other side of Atlanta.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote