Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-23-2007, 03:20 PM   #16
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite & Oasis
I wonder if this is the ad as it was originally designed? The text suggests there might just perhaps have been a pile of paperbacks on one chair that some passanger couldn't take along.

However, second thought would not have been 'some passenger sure wanted to read a lot', but perhaps 'Oh, so that airline is usually *very* late if someone brought that much to read ...'.

The sign has the feel of an afterthought to me, as signs next to gates tend to indicate where unaccompanied children and the physically disadvantaged should sit if they need help. And that's probably not what Sony wants to suggest either ... ?

A bit too open-ended, that ad. But it *is* an eyecatcher, and reading is somehow 'in the air', even without the sign.
ath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:14 PM   #17
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn

i always thought a cool ad would be to print a reader in actual size with a plastic sheet stuck onto it explaining e-ink technology and how the display would look just like the plastic sheet or something like that. This ad really lacks imagination, its simple and clean but I probably wouldn't give it a second look.
I come from a sales and marketing background, I used to work in advertising. In my opinion, Shawn, you hit the nail right on the head. This ad is easy to pass, it's great as one page of a 4 page brochure, but doesn't stand well by itself. Put a big picture of the reader in the ad, explain the features and benefits in the text of the reader, and THAT will stand out. this ad is very low key and casual, big photo of the face of the reader and it's blunt right there in your face.

This ad isn't horrible by any stretch, it's just too subtle, and not very eyecatching.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2007, 07:30 PM   #18
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
It did catch Alex's boss' eye.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:40 PM   #19
memobug
Connoisseur
memobug began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500/PRS-505/Kindle DX/iPhone 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn

i always thought a cool ad would be to print a reader in actual size with a plastic sheet stuck onto it explaining e-ink technology and how the display would look just like the plastic sheet or something like that
Haven't you seen them? They have stacks of those at Borders. They are Reader-size and made of thin cardboard that folds out paper-doll style - very similar in design to the ones Sony used with the PSP.

Regards,

Matt
memobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:40 PM   #20
chef
Enthusiast
chef is on a distinguished road

These ads have been in the airline magazines ever since the Reader came out. You know those magazines you find in the seat pocket in front of you. Hit you when you're vulnerable. You are reading the airline mag because you finished off your book and don't want to have to go dig for another one. You then see the ad and wish you had one of those so you could have multiple books at your disposal without having to move and disturb your neighbors.
chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2007, 09:14 AM   #21
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Now there's a good ad visual: Passenger #1 reading a cheesy-looking in-flight magazine, and looking not too happy about it, while passenger #2 is happily reading a reader next to him.

(I specified "him," because these days only males can be represented as dumb or luckless in advertisements. By extension, passenger #2 will invariably be female with a model's figure, well-dressed for business, and clearly smug about it!)

(Who's bitter?)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:36 PM   #22
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
In my opinion the ad is negative in that it suggests that if you are using a Sony Reader you no longer have a place to sit.

I suspect the real reason the sitting area is empty? Saving money for the future ad campaign featuring Paris Hilton and the new Sparkle Cover.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 03:33 PM   #23
alynch
alynch began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 770/PRS-500/Nokia N80
Hmm... I'm not sure people would want to see a bunch of us in a newspaper ad.

No offense to anyone, I just don't have the most "popular media" friendly look.

-Adam
alynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:56 AM   #24
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Hey, Sony... ignore alynch. I clean up real good!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:59 PM   #25
Aybara
Aybara began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Just remember, you cannot use your Reader during taxi, take-offs, and landing, as it is an electrical device that will interfere with the plane instruments.
Aybara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 03:30 AM   #26
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
The look of the ad also isn't just about conveying some message, it's also about catching your eye. I think the ad looks very good, and the composition is just excellent.

If there were any people, the look would become less elegant and you wouldn't notice the ad. Even one person might spoil it.

Frankly, I don't know why you guys express such disbelief at seeing two rows of empty chairs at an airport. I see it lots of times, especially if you get to the airport early like you're supposed to.

P.S. the reason the ad for the Reader barely shows the Reader is because sony probably thought if the main subject of the ad was the prs500, it wouldn't impress because people wouldn't believe the screen. All screens in ads are photoshopped to be unrealistic, and so if Sony tried to impress you with the screen you'd think "yeah, right, whatever." There's nothing else to show off about the Reader, so you have an ad with a huge pic of an airport.
alex_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:13 AM   #27
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Want to know where the people are?

They all ran off to a SonyStyle store.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:50 AM   #28
g4eqz
g4eqz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Palm T|X
Well I guess the fact that you are dicussing it implies the marketing suceeded
g4eqz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 07:46 AM   #29
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by g4eqz
Well I guess the fact that you are dicussing it implies the marketing suceeded
Do you say so?
Unfotunatelly, it is being dicussed by people who already have the reader and they don't have to be persuaded to buy it.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:13 AM   #30
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Take ONE ad and take one CURRENT bestseller....

(where the "given" is that the author wants to promote his/her book AND understands technology--- so let's leave Rowling out of it, as her time too will pass ---), and combine the TWO in ONE ad and then sit back and see what happens.

Now: put them all ON a plane with a crowd of passengers OUT of their seats and reading over this person's shoulder who -- NOW, GET THIS! - is the OWNER of the SONY READER! (Make certain there is quick shot to indicate the plane has yet to take off.)

ASIDE: Sony, I'm still waiting for your negotiations with Knopf.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-06-2007 at 02:00 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote