Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-23-2010, 07:53 AM   #1
PoisonWolf
Enthusiast
PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Are warranties necessary?

Hi folks,

I was wondering, is it necessary to go for 3 year warranties like Squaretrade?

Just wanted to see what people thought of stuff like this.

Cheers.
PoisonWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:22 AM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
I guess it depends on what you can potentially afford to lose. If one of my gadgets broke I'd just go out and buy a new one - most of the time I've sold them on long before they get that old. The only item I've ever had where I wished I had paid for a warranty was my apple mac which died after 18 months - so I ended up buying a new windows laptop.

The Kindle screen can be fragile so I can see why some people feel the need to insure them. For me personally at this price level and the fact that I treat mine with kid gloves, I won't bother.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 09:01 AM   #3
PoisonWolf
Enthusiast
PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
I guess it depends on what you can potentially afford to lose. If one of my gadgets broke I'd just go out and buy a new one - most of the time I've sold them on long before they get that old. The only item I've ever had where I wished I had paid for a warranty was my apple mac which died after 18 months - so I ended up buying a new windows laptop.

The Kindle screen can be fragile so I can see why some people feel the need to insure them. For me personally at this price level and the fact that I treat mine with kid gloves, I won't bother.
Thanks KindleWorm for the input.

I guess my fear stems from the fact that the DXG is so big...and I'm worried that I might break it over time, or that family members might break it over time.

Couple that with the fact that a three year warranty from Squaretrade is currently only $67....it's insanely hard to resist.

But I get your point. Hmm...decisions decisions decisions...
PoisonWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:05 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you plan to keep your DX for three years, then it probably is worth buying, just for peace of mind, if nothing else. I tend to get new reading devices at least once a year, so for me it wouldn't be worthwhile.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:12 AM   #5
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Well $67 doesn't sound like much actually if it gives you peace of mind and if, as Harry said, you're planning to keep it for 3 years. That sounds good if it covers accidental breakage which I guess is the most likely scenario!
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 10:27 AM   #6
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Warranties are one of the nicest inventions out there. Normally for the usual gadgets I am fairly satisfied with the typical warranty but with things that I tend to love (computer) 3 years is not so bad. Or if you're on the clumsy side (ebook).

I give myself satisfied with the 1 year, a good cover/sleeve and good care. If it dies... well, we all have to die some day =P
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #7
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by darknessangel View Post
If it dies... well, we all have to die some day =P
I'm still trying to find a warranty that covers that

I've been looking at the SquareTrade for the K3 Wifi, it's not too bad with the coupons that are floating around the net...
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:09 AM   #8
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
How much Ron?
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:20 AM   #9
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
$31.99 for 3 year warranty, $23.99 for 2 yr (after coupon). You can regularly get a 20% off coupon just by any quick search. They will throw a 30% coupon out every couple of weeks, but it is usually only good for that 1 day, then it reverts to a 20%. Current code is "FALL" for 20% off.

It covers:
* Damage from drops & spills
* Mechanical & Electrical Failure
* Other accidents from handling

The 3 year for the 3G is $39.99 after 20% coupon. The DX is $67.99 after coupon.

I have heard good things about Squaretrade, but I have also read some negative reviews. As with anything, it's all subjective.
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:50 AM   #10
IntegrityWolf
^_^
IntegrityWolf began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Touch (Wi-Fi)
I'm planning to get a warranty from SquareTrade on my K3 when I get it. I think it's 49.99 or 39.99 for 3 years coverage and includes "accidental damage" as well as stuff like battery failure. I think it's worth it.
IntegrityWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:50 AM   #11
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post
$31.99 for 3 year warranty, $23.99 for 2 yr (after coupon). You can regularly get a 20% off coupon just by any quick search. They will throw a 30% coupon out every couple of weeks, but it is usually only good for that 1 day, then it reverts to a 20%. Current code is "FALL" for 20% off.

It covers:
* Damage from drops & spills
* Mechanical & Electrical Failure
* Other accidents from handling

The 3 year for the 3G is $39.99 after 20% coupon. The DX is $67.99 after coupon.

I have heard good things about Squaretrade, but I have also read some negative reviews. As with anything, it's all subjective.
any deductibles/shipping fees?

otherwise, it's not really worth it
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:50 PM   #12
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
If my Kindle3 needs a new battery in the next three years, my SquareTrade warranty will cover it. If I drop and break my Kindle accidentally ... or spill a Pina Colada onto it - my Square Trade has me covered. At ten bucks a year, that runs me about 83 cents/month.

You tell me - is it worth it? If you live in a vacuum/bubble with absolutely no other objects in the bubble and have zero gravity so that nothing accidentally drops to the ground, then maybe it is a waste of money. But for the rest of the world ... ?
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:39 PM   #13
marty888
marty888 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 - wifi + 3G
Doesn't it come with a 1-yr warranty from Amazon?
marty888 is offline   Reply With Quote