Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-11-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
akosimike
akosimike began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
I'm having a problem with extra paragraph spaces

I am using calibre to convert PDF format to epub format and send it to my iPhone but the problem is when it gets to the iPhone there is extra spacing even before the period comes it starts a new paragraph. Any way I could fist this? There are to many paragraph gaps when reading.

Last edited by akosimike; 05-11-2010 at 04:48 PM.
akosimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:31 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Did you try checking remove spacing in the look & feel section under conversion?
Left justifying often makes files shorter as well.
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
akosimike

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Did you try checking remove spacing in the look & feel section under conversion?
Helen
yup i tried that I also trued to reinstall that also didnt work. any more ideas would be appreciated.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:47 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by akosimike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Helen
yup i tried that I also trued to reinstall that also didnt work. any more ideas would be appreciated.
The remove spacing only works on paragraphs or divisions. When you run into a book that it doesn't work on it is usually because the line breaks are hardcoded in the html using <br/> instead of </p><p> paragraph html.

The only way to correct this is by manually editing the html. You can do this by running the conversion with a directory specified in the Debug area of Calibre. Once the (failed) conversion is complete look in the directory you specified and you will find the resultant html before conversion.

I have had easy fixes and books that I decided weren't worth it once I viewed the source. The easy fixes were simply replacing <br/> with <br/><br/> then using a find and replace to substitute </p><p> with every set of <br/><br/> in the document. This changes the line breaks to paragraphs. I use notepad++ for this.

Then I hand edit out the large groups of </p><p> before chapters etc... Drag the new html to Calibre and convert.

Each html document is different, Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:35 PM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
I have had easy fixes and books that I decided weren't worth it once I viewed the source. The easy fixes were simply replacing <br/> with <br/><br/> then using a find and replace to substitute </p><p> with every set of <br/><br/> in the document. This changes the line breaks to paragraphs. I use notepad++ for this.
Interesting must try
Thanks
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2010, 03:54 AM   #6
akosimike

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
The remove spacing only works on paragraphs or divisions. When you run into a book that it doesn't work on it is usually because the line breaks are hardcoded in the html using <br/> instead of </p><p> paragraph html.

The only way to correct this is by manually editing the html. You can do this by running the conversion with a directory specified in the Debug area of Calibre. Once the (failed) conversion is complete look in the directory you specified and you will find the resultant html before conversion.

Then I hand edit out the large groups of </p><p> before chapters etc... Drag the new html to Calibre and convert.

Each html document is different, Good Luck.
Hmm just to add some info, when I had this problem before I tried stanza and it worked fine, so maybe the problem was with calibre...? With stanza I had to transfer 1 book at a time which sucked and now stanza is having issues with bonjour so I moved back to calibre but there is still this issue...

Well thanks for the help, heres to hoping amazon lets the stanza group continue to update stanza ... yeah prolly not gonna happen lol.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:54 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I am using calibre to convert PDF format to epub format and send it to my iPhone but the problem is when it gets to the iPhone there is extra spacing even before the period comes it starts a new paragraph. Any way I could fist this? There are to many paragraph gaps when reading.
You could always try the Good Reader app for the iPhone and leave it as a PDF.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:41 AM   #8
akosimike

ok guys I installed calibre on my other computer because it wasn't working with any books, it still had the spacing, but on the other comp it works fine. I think i must have messed with the settings before and screwed it up on my main pc, but when I uninstall calibre it saves the settings or something because I still have the same problem after I reinstall it. Is there anyway I can do a full uninstall and reinstall?

some more info:

I am using a sony Vaio with WIN 7 and again I am uploading to stanza for Iphone
Old 05-27-2010, 01:06 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
when I uninstall calibre it saves the settings or something because I still have the same problem after I reinstall it. Is there anyway I can do a full uninstall and reinstall?

some more info:

I am using a sony Vaio with WIN 7 and again I am uploading to stanza for Iphone
I have Windows XP and my configuration files are in C:\Documents and Settings\HOME\Application Data\calibre

After you uninstall Calibre find the equivalent of this folder on your machine and delete it. Reboot and reinstall.

Good Luck.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:02 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can access the calibre the calibre settings directory via preferences->advanced.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:53 PM   #11
akosimike

It worked! No more spaces Thanks guys!