Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Which Brand Netbook Do You Have?
Acer 16 14.04%
Asus 36 31.58%
Dell 3 2.63%
HP 4 3.51%
Lenovo 3 2.63%
MSI Wind 5 4.39%
Samsung 7 6.14%
Sony 2 1.75%
Waste of Money, wouldn't have one 3 2.63%
Don't have one, just want to see how this poll works out. 31 27.19%
other (please explain) 5 4.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-25-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Which Netbook Do You Have?

If you own a Netbook, which brand do you have? Please post your decisions on why you chose that particular brand.

Would you change if you could? Why?

This poll won't make up my mind for me, but I am interested in what people buy........and why.

Thank you!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:51 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
admit it dg, you just like polls. would you mind if i changed that last option to "don't have one, just want to see..." ? that's my case and probably others' too...

also, perhaps we should add an "other (please explain)" choice ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2009, 09:53 AM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
admit it dg, you just like polls. would you mind if i changed that last option to "don't have one, just want to see..." ? that's my case and probably others' too...

also, perhaps we should add an "other (please explain)" choice ?
You are a mind reader. I was just about to ask for the "other" option, and your phrasing is much better on the "don't have one" option.

Thank you.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:55 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
You are a mind reader. I was just about to ask for the "other" option, and your phrasing is much better on the "dont' have one"

Thank you.
not so loud, you'll blow my cover.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
I don't have a netbook, but have been thinking of getting one. Thank you desertgrandma for the poll, and that other thread about them, as everyone's posts have been very thoughtful and informative.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2009, 10:01 AM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
I don't have a netbook, but have been thinking of getting one. Thank you desertgrandma for the poll, and that other thread about them, as everyone's posts have been very thoughtful and informative.
You are more than welcome, Curly.

I'm glad my interest wasn't 'one-sided'.

Even Madame Z was curious!
Old 05-25-2009, 10:04 AM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I've been fighting myself NOT to buy one (though I really really really WANT one). I'm a Dell girl but the at least one of the HPs has an express card slot which would allow me to use my broadband wireless card.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:26 AM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Samsung person! Tell me about yours.....why you bought it, do you love it.........?
Old 05-25-2009, 11:48 AM   #9
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
As I said on your other thread , Samsung NC10 cos these people said it was best for seniors with a great screen and especially the big keyboard (given the size). It's nearly as good to type on as a regular keyboard. In performance they're all much the same, so it comes down to usability and the look (I got a bright white one!)
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:50 AM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
As I said on your other thread , Samsung NC10 cos these people said it was best for seniors with a great screen and especially the big keyboard (given the size). It's nearly as good to type on as a regular keyboard. In performance they're all much the same, so it comes down to usability and the look (I got a bright white one!)
Thanks! I knew someone had posted on this.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:10 PM   #11
MMascaro
Zealot
MMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheese

Device: HP mini 1035/Sony Reader/IPad
I have the HP mini 1035.

Thats a 1.6 gig processor, I upped it to 2 gig main memory and a 16 gig SSD flash drive as the main C: drive. Windows XP takes about 6 gig of the main drive when stripped down alittle. I then added office 2003 on it which leave me with about 7 gig free.

It has a high speed SD card slot on the side tha I filled with a 32 gig SD card, since it does not stick out at all I just leave it in all the time. I have "My Documenrts" redirected to the SD card so all the files do not take up the C: drive.

There are 3 USB slots. one is a mini mobile drive USB slot that can take a USB card not much bigger then the USB connector and twice as long. I have a 8 gig in this one to hold just my music. The other two are standard USB slots

10 inch diaginal display with a web cam just above.

I get about 3 hours on the battery if I leave the bluetooth and wifi off. It works pretty good as a book reader and net surfing.

$350.00 from Best buy
$69.00 for the 2 gig main memory stick
$59.00 for the 32 gig SD card.
$25.00 for the 8 gig mini USB
MMascaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:14 PM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Great review, MMascaro. Thanks!
Old 05-25-2009, 01:16 PM   #13
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I will be buying a netbook before I go to Ireland in September. Right now I'm looking at Acer, Asus, MSI Wind, and Lenovo. I know some of the criteria -- 10 inch diagonal, Intel Atom processor -- but not much else. I'll upgrade the memory and storage (disk, SD, USB, etc.) I may go ahead and buy the netbook in the next couple of weeks as I have a little bit of money that I'm ready to spend -- of course I've also been looking at the BeBook and Jetbook readers, so I'll have to make up my mind which kind of gadget I'm going to buy!
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 01:26 PM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I may never speak to you again DesertGrandma (if that is your real name)! You made me buy this netbook. Now give me some money to pay for it. Luckily for you, I already have a purse big enough to carry it and my Kindle.

I guess I have to go vote in the poll now.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 01:31 PM   #15
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
I got my Asus because it has a 160 GB HD, (although I also have an SD card in there for data backup), the battery life is close to 9 hours, it was easy to install the additional RAM (which is not the case on all netbooks), it has a built in web-cam, built in wireless, 3 USB ports, and a port for an additional monitor.

I also bought a Logitech wireless mouse (of the type where the USB bluetooth only sticks out about 1/4 inch from the computer ... so I can leave it plugged in all the time and still put the computer in its case).

I can't think of a single thing I would change about it, although I might install Windows 7 on it when that comes out commercially.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote