Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 10-31-2014, 04:16 PM   #1
JimmyH
Enthusiast
JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O, Droid RazrMaxxHD
Hack, Patch, Jailbreak ...... Unlock ...... Why ?

I'm a simple guy but I'm not totally clueless in the tech world. I run linux on my home PC, and have some experience with the command line, though I'm my no means a geek. With my droid razr there is a forum that unlocks, hacks ...... all kinds of stuff.

I went to it when Verizon had a new update for the razr. I wanted to find out if there were problems before I installed it. So there were all kinds of posts with people complaining about it, or afraid to install it because they had unlocked their phone.

I went ahead and installed it and it was smooth as silk, and still is. Now, coming to this forum I find that there is some sort of equivalent behavior with ereaders. I don't understand all of this stuff about "jailbreaking", unlocking ....... I run a stock kindle and H2o, and so far so good. What is so special about changing the design of these devices that engineers worked on for reliability and smooth function ? Advantages, and potential disadvantages ?
JimmyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:52 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The standard reason is to add in features that the original device creators did not include. For instance for the Kobo family of eReaders there are two additional "readers" available, KoReader and CoolReader both of which add in bells + whistles. These include the ability to use a file browser interface to select reading material as opposed to the Kobo supplied shelf model, an alternate PDF renderer that some feel provides more performance than Kobo does.

Its the same as on a PC. Many people are happy leaving the OS as supplied by the vendor; others (like you) choose to replace that by Linux.

The Kobo's actually don't need a jailbreak per se; all that is required is to copy a tgz file to the .kobo directory, at which point the tgz will be decompress and untarred, and it's contents used to replace / augment the default files on the hidden partition of the Kobo.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2014, 05:55 PM   #3
ElWorm
Zealot
ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.

Device: Kobo H2O, Paperwhite 3, Oasis 2, Pocketbook HD, Glowlight Plus
After using my Kindle 2 for a few years, I got really tired of the provided screensavers, so I "jail broke" it to add my own screensavers for variety. I just recently jail broke my Kindle 4 so the screensaver is the cover of the last book opened. I am really enjoying this new feature. The provided screensavers on the 4th generation Kindle I found to be rather uninspired.
I have just ordered a Kobo H2O and I have heard that the Kobos have this feature (book cover as screensaver) built in, is this true?
ElWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:42 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElWorm View Post
After using my Kindle 2 for a few years, I got really tired of the provided screensavers, so I "jail broke" it to add my own screensavers for variety. I just recently jail broke my Kindle 4 so the screensaver is the cover of the last book opened. I am really enjoying this new feature. The provided screensavers on the 4th generation Kindle I found to be rather uninspired.
I have just ordered a Kobo H2O and I have heard that the Kobos have this feature (book cover as screensaver) built in, is this true?
I believe you can put whatever pictures you want, but they will be chosen randomly, which isn't quite the same.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:07 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I believe you can put whatever pictures you want, but they will be chosen randomly, which isn't quite the same.
On sleep or power off, Kobo displays the cover of the book currently being read. This can either be full screen, or windowed, and if full screen, the status can be displayed over the image.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2014, 07:22 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
On sleep or power off, Kobo displays the cover of the book currently being read. This can either be full screen, or windowed, and if full screen, the status can be displayed over the image.
Must've heard wrong then, or confused with something else.

I freely admit to not knowing much about the Kobo.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote