Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-29-2012, 03:51 AM   #31
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumm View Post
I want to replace my Dell Axim, but have no desire to pay for a data plan, and I want something that will handle ICS. I know demanding.

Any thoughts on a good smartphone that will work with WiFi, no sim and a stylus?
It's not really a smartphone and it's not Android though I think you could find enough apps to cover most functions, but I love my Nokia 5800. It was marketed as a music phone but I bought it outright after that promotion ended and it was cheaper (in Australia). I use prepaid sim and free wifi. It also has GPS and mini-SD slot. The handwriting recognition is the best I've found - it's the reason I chose it. I have a couple of free notes applications, one that I use to make lists and short notes, another that is more like a sticky notes app that doesn't convert handwriting.

Otherwise, you might like to check out gsmarena which has a good selector tool and look at older models which have come off the high cost plans.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #32
loyukfai
Zealot
loyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura about

Device: none
At 3.2" the screen of 5800 seems quite less than optimal for reading and annotating ebooks...?

Cheers.
loyukfai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2012, 05:11 PM   #33
loyukfai
Zealot
loyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura about

Android Central's got an editorial on why the stylus is coming back. The editorial itself is so-so but there are a few quality comments. And I learnt that there's another capacitive screen based Android tablet with dedicated stylus support - The HTC Jetstream (10").

The HTC and Lenovo models use the N-Trig solution, and the Galaxy Note uses one from Wacom.

Cheers.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:07 AM   #34
loyukfai
Zealot

The Samsung exec wasn't joking when he said there will be upsized Galaxy Notes, but I didn't expect this soon - The Verge broke the news that Samsung is likely to announce a 10" version at MWC, which is less than 2 weeks away.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/15/27...mwc-invitation

Personally I hope they will make a 7" version - 10" is good for schooling, technical documents, and digital drawing/painting; 5" is good for usability while still remotely resembling a phone; 7" is the right size for an everyday e-reader though.

Cheers.

Last edited by loyukfai; 02-16-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:11 AM   #35
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
Quote:
Originally Posted by loyukfai View Post
At 3.2" the screen of 5800 seems quite less than optimal for reading and annotating ebooks...?

Cheers.
I thought this was a separate question looking for a replacement for a Dell Axim? The first post asked for a tablet/reader but the one I replied to there was about a smartphone, so I assumed (dangerous, I know) that it was a second question. Perhaps OP can clarify whether they are looking for a single device or 2 separate ones.

But yes, I keep a few of my favourite short stories on it, but wouldn't read a novel.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #36
loyukfai
Zealot

Is the stylus really making a come back...? Another one, this time from LG, still 5" though.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/19/28...5-inch-display

No word if it's an active digitizer or not, so it seems, yet.

Cheers.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:47 AM   #37
loyukfai
Zealot

Agh... According to TechCrunch (http://techcrunch.com/2012/02/26/han...ge-optimus-vu/), the LG Optimus Vu's stylus is only a capacitive one...

BTW, Galaxy Note 10.1 was officially announced (http://goo.gl/TyBx3), note that there's no internal slot for the stylus.

So, at this moment, a list of Android devices with an active digitizer (may or may not be included in basic package; the letter following the model name denotes the digitizer maker, W=Wacom, N=N-Trig)...

5": Samsung Galaxy Note (W)
7": HTC Flyer/EVO View 4G (N)
10": Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet (N), HTC Jetstream (N), Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (W)

Last edited by loyukfai; 02-27-2012 at 03:51 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:09 AM   #38
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by loyukfai View Post
BTW, Galaxy Note 10.1 was officially announced (http://goo.gl/TyBx3), note that there's no internal slot for the stylus.
Wow, that looks exciting! Especially (for me) the pressure-sensitive pen, and also the split screen view that allows you to display an app in one part of the screen and write notes on the side.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:02 AM   #39
Drumm
Enthusiast
Drumm began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color(CM10), NookTouch & Meadiacom 850i
I think I'll have to wait a while. $629 is too much for me. I'll see how long my Axim lasts and see what is available in the used/refurm market. It totally and completely blows my mind how much people pay for these things, especially the iPhones.
Drumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:48 AM   #40
loyukfai
Zealot

Just survey the landscape a little bit these few days...

Samsung has released the Galaxy Note 10.1 (the final version does have a stylus silo) and the Note II (5.5" screen).

5": Samsung Galaxy Note (W)
5.5": Samsung Galaxy Note II (W)
7": HTC Flyer/EVO View 4G (N)
10": Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet (N), HTC Jetstream (N), Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (W)