Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-18-2011, 11:41 AM   #1
KindleSte
KindleSte began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Longer pause when going to previous page?

Hello,

Kindle 3.1 update..

I've noticed a considerable pause when going backwards through the book using the Previous button. The actual page change is fast but there is a delay before it starts the process. Nothing happens for a sec, and then it changes.

It only happens when clicking on pages that haven't been viewed during the reading session.

ie. Enter book.. Click forwards through five pages, and then back five pages, it'll all be fast. However, click a sixth page back and there's a delay before it displays.

Likewise entering a book and immediately clicking back also causes the pause.

Common problem? Thanks!
KindleSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This is common to all version of Mobipocket Reader. Going backwards through a book is always slower than going forwards. Just the way it is. As you note, it appears to be related to the way that pages are cached.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'll let you know as soon as I need to read a book backwards.

Disclaimer: I mean no harm... it's just that sometimes, the smartass in me can't help it. Feel free to ignore me, I won't mind.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-18-2011 at 11:49 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
mrsquash
Connoisseur
mrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enough

Device: K4-NT, Sony T1
Mine acts a little differently. If I back-page, the first three screen changes will be fast, then slow after that. Happens even if I go forward five pages (screens, whatever), then back again.

Not that big a deal since I don't usually have to back up very often. But sometimes I wish it had the ability to go back or forwards say, five or ten pages, if you held down the page-turn button for a couple of seconds. My old Astak reader would do that. Came in handy some times.
mrsquash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:00 PM   #5
KindleSte

haha DiapDealer, I like to flick back a page or two when picking up a book to jog my memory!

harry - you've put my mind at rest a little as it did seem like a caching issue. I couldn't remember it happening on my Kindle firmware 3.0.1, so wondered if they'd reduced the cache to speed up other processes, such as menus.

mrsquash - sounds worse than mine! It's odd how results vary between Kindles, not sure I like that! Wish I hadn't updated it.. but I got very slow page turns earlier when it was out in the cold.

Last edited by KindleSte; 02-18-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Advert
Old 02-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #6
chyron8472
Groupie
chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5, Amazon Fire 5th Gen, Moto Z Play Droid
I have v2.5.7, and I noticed this as well when testing page turns after the last firmware update. It's only noticeable though if I stop to think about it.
chyron8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
KindleSte

The more I think of it, the more I think it's a negative placebo effect. I should just get into the book again and stop messing with it!!
Old 02-18-2011, 06:55 PM   #8
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I often accidently hit the page turn button when I pick up my kindle, so have to immediately press the back button, and yeah, it's always been like that, slower.

But sometimes I've noticed that I have to press the back button twice. The first time it doesn't work.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote